Education Pay

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
How many places are offering extra pay to employees with degrees?

I'm not talking about tuition reimbursement or professional development, but an added amount to your salary for having a degree.

agregularguy

Forum Lieutenant
My last agency did. 5% for associates, 10% for Bachelor's. Kinda spoiled while I was there-- I moved (and EMS is now my part-time gig) so pay looks a LOT lower now!

OP
OP
NPO

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
My last agency did. 5% for associates, 10% for Bachelor's. Kinda spoiled while I was there-- I moved (and EMS is now my part-time gig) so pay looks a LOT lower now!
Did they also offer tuition reimbursement?

My dept pays for education, but I'd like to see education incentive to encourage people to peruse degrees, not just help getting them... If that's not abnormal

agregularguy

Forum Lieutenant
Did they also offer tuition reimbursement?

My dept pays for education, but I'd like to see education incentive to encourage people to peruse degrees, not just help getting them... If that's not abnormal

Never fully looked into it due to already having a B.S., but I believe they used to offer to pay for medic school, but were not at the time I was there. Not 100% on that.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
Nothing here but hiring is getting so competitive that a degree, second language or some varied experience is almost a prerequisite to hiring. Plus as more and more students enter the Paramedic program after completing a degree or in one of the concurrent programs it’s become almost the de facto standard. This is a trickle down effect of hiring being competitive as well as entry into Paramedic programs being competitive.

Advancement into leadership now especially senior leadership pretty much requires a business degree, or a degree in something else with college continuing ed certificates in business or leadership.

Worth noting that while the Paramedic Association of Canada is not the regulator for education programs they do handle the accreditation of programs (or will be) and their standard for 2025 is 4yr bachelors for entry to practice. How long that takes to be adopted nationwide if at all remains to be seen.