EDC Trauma Kit

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
Hey all,
I was wondering if it would be worth the investment to carry a trauma kit like the "EDC Trauma Kit" from ITS Tactical. Its appears to be about the size of a wallet and could be carried in a back pocket.

I assumed that as I enjoy hunting/ camping/ shooting etc. I will eventually see someone (or myself) get injured and need these supplies.

Do any of you carry any trauma/ medical gear off duty?

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
In my SAR pack I carry a "slimmed down" trauma bag, BVM, OPAs, NPAs, and basics in between. But thats because I am ready for a teammate or victim to become my patient. All this along with the rest of my SAR gear sleeps in my truck.

Didnt look up what youre talking about, but be weary of pricing. A simple, small kit will do you some good. Some gauze, bandaids, antibacterial ointment, and antiitch cream. That will get you out. If you are wanting to be ready for a GSW, well, I hope you have a big back pocket!

OP
OP
redundantbassist

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
Thanks, i have a kit from galls in my car with many of the things you described, (except the BVM, not nearly enough room in that jam-packed bag, lol) from airway management/ventilation to bandaids.

What I'm really looking for is a small, lightweight hemorrhage kit, nothing more, nothing less. I live in a rural area and spend a lot of time outdoors, I believe such a kit would bring me a lot of peace of mind knowing that I could stop an arterial bleed on myself and my family. My biggest issue at this moment is size. I was considering simply cramming some quikclot combat gauze into a leather cell phone pouch, but i'm concerned that will compromise the packaging.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply!

Asclepius92

Forum Ride Along
I run a 6"x 6" med pouch from 5.11 tactical with AMK med kit contents plus an israeli bandage, quikclot, and CAT in my Bug Out(/camping) Bag. The Adventure Medical Kit came with everything you would need for field medicine, including a syringe/suture kit. The 5.11 med pouch would be too big for a back pocket but its MOLLE compatible so you could attach it to your belt or backpack (assuming its got MOLLE webbing).

wadford

Forum Crew Member
With the exception of airway equipment (opa,npa, ect) most of what you might need can be improvised for on scene. Gloves, 4x4's, a tourniquet, and maybe splints. If you get there prior to EMS then you can address any life threats, hold c-spine if needed and turn the pt over to the crew when they get there. As long as they aren't dying right then, you have time to play.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I have a kit I made for myself that I carry in the back country. There's lots of pieces I will only use on a close friend or family member. It's pretty small for what it's got in it. Fits in my backpack with lots of room to spare for other gear, which tends to be a lot on sled trips.

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
Most people on here are pretty strict minimalists. To be honest, there is really not much we could do outside basic first aid without standing orders. Because of this I am okay with most wall mart or target first aid kits.

Cling, gloves, and gauze. That's all ya need.

You will find that you need Band-Aids and an OTC antibiotic ointment more than any real "life saving" supplies. Gloves and some cling if you really want to be prepared. If you need more than that to save your buddy's life in the next 8 minutes because the ambo is 8 out, sorry, they are probably going to die anyways.

Now, to be honest, I do cary this small bag with me when I'm camping with the family and close friends. I change what's in the bag depending on where we are going and what I need. But like I said, cling, gloves, and gauze. Cling, gloves, and gauze. Cling, gloves, and gauze.