ECG interpretation tools

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP

MountainMedic

Forum Probie
For noobs and nerds. ACLS algorithms are easy to learn, and there's no excuse for delaying treatment, especially while consulting some card that just tells you all the stuff you should already know.

Calipers may be useful in some cases, but I can't really image a case where you would need to delay treatment to use them...

OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Ya I agree with you on the ACLS cards, I probably should have excluded them from the list. Calipers and that window device is whats really on my mind.

Sublime

LP, RN
ECG interpretation tools and toys: for noobs and nerds, or acceptable professional pre-hospital devices?

Below are some examples.
1. Metal calipers

2. window devices, like this http://www.eworldpoint.com/en/Produ...-CAT-Window-for-STEMI_-_R-CAT01/#.UYPJ3rWDlS0 or like all these http://www.eworldpoint.com/en/search/rcat?i=jI0y00dl5HcEZD2mhTgD3w==

3. EMS field guides or pocket ACLS cheat sheets

Or you could just practice, read books, and understand how to properly read 12-leads without the use of unreliable tools.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
A credit card/ID/anything with a straight edge and pen to mark the isoelectric line under the S-T segment on one copy of the 12-lead (MRx prints two) when there's borderline elevation. Makes it much easier to determine how much elevation there is rather than trying to eyeball it.

OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I have never used any the above items outside of a classroom, but I remember a partner who use to carry metal calipers in thier pocket.... IMO it was pretty dorky and impractical with our uniform. No disrespect to anyone who uses them.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
For noobs and nerds. ACLS algorithms are easy to learn, and there's no excuse for delaying treatment, especially while consulting some card that just tells you all the stuff you should already know.

Calipers may be useful in some cases, but I can't really image a case where you would need to delay treatment to use them...

What does ACLS Algorithms and ECG interpretation have to do with one another?

You have plenty of time to use calipers when appropriate.

You're rushing if you think you don't.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
Ya I agree with you on the ACLS cards, I probably should have excluded them from the list. Calipers and that window device is whats really on my mind.

I'd work on getting more comfortable with the concept of "relative changes" rather than absolute changes. Basically, you should be able to read the ECG without any grids and still find all of the problems. The heart doesn't work in absolutes.

Calipers are great for AVB's.

cruiseforever

Forum Asst. Chief
A credit card/ID/anything with a straight edge and pen to mark the isoelectric line under the S-T segment on one copy of the 12-lead (MRx prints two) when there's borderline elevation. Makes it much easier to determine how much elevation there is rather than trying to eyeball it.

I agree, I use a piece of the EKG paper.

OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
:blink::blink::blink::blink:

OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I don't think calipers are unreliable, do you? I just think there a little impractical for field use IMO