Ear bleed

focal06

Forum Ride Along
DO ear pircing normall bleed profusly? I had a girl at my work get what she called an "industrial bar" done on her ear and I have never seen so much blood come out of such a small opening (it was in the top of her ear). I mean this girl was still bleeding after a good 15 minutes of direct pressure with no luck and she didnt want to go to the hospital or ambulance cause she didnt want her parents to find out. what could have caused this? I got a sample history from her and found nothing that would indicate why her blood did not clot like it should have. Is this common in ear injuries?

http://www.modifiedmind.com/pics/gallery/custom/bend2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Ears, face, head wounds all can bleed a lot. Probably nicked a vein. See.. the human body comes with all the openings it needs. When you add extra, problems can result.

OP
OP
F

focal06

Forum Ride Along
Ears, face, head wounds all can bleed a lot. Probably nicked a vein. See.. the human body comes with all the openings it needs. When you add extra, problems can result.

I understand that but it seems like she was on some sort of blood thinner medication or had been drinking recently or something because her blood just would NOT clot. It took alot of 4x4 gauze and pressure to finally get it under control, which I thought was unusual for something like two tiny holes in the ear cartlige.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
If I cut an ear while shaving, it will gush for hours and hours. My students knew that I cut my ear shaving when I came to school with my dark red shirt and a colorful bandaid on. There was nothing I could do to make it stop.

Now I've learned to use my finger instead of the razor to get that little bit of shaving cream off my ear. :ph34r:

lastcode

Forum Crew Member
Maybe she had iron deficiencys and was unaware of her condition. Iron dificiencys are common in teenage girls.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Maybe she had iron deficiencys and was unaware of her condition. Iron dificiencys are common in teenage girls.

And I doubt proper treatment is drilling iron bars into one's head :p:p

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Ears. nose and scalp are highly vasculature and have high blood supply.. hence why they become reddened when they get cold. Now the problem is blood pooling into the cartilage area (pinna) may not be adsorbed into the system. This is what causes what some wrestlers have "cauliflowers" ear, if not properly drained.

R/r 911

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
More than likely she just hit a vein and completly severed it. For that type of piercing it's actually fairly common.

Don't ask me how I know that. :p

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
As I have told my (male) offspring when asked why I don't get an earring: "The Good Lord put me on this earth with a certain number of holes in my body. If my luck holds, I hope to complete my journey with the same number!" I couldn't care less if they (or anyone) want to get pierced, it just isn't my cuppa.