Dumb question

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
My current service each of us are issued a radio at orientation. We are expected to have the radio with us at all times when on duty And out of the station.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
My current service each of us are issued a radio at orientation
For clarification, are you are issued a personal radio? that you take home and keep with you at all times? and you turn in when you separate from the organization? or is your truck assigned two radios, that get turned in or handed off at the completion of the shift?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
For clarification, are you are issued a personal radio? that you take home and keep with you at all times? and you turn in when you separate from the organization? or is your truck assigned two radios, that get turned in or handed off at the completion of the shift?
Personal issue. We turn it in when we separate.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
wow, that's a new one for me. I have never been in an EMS organization that had enough extra money to give all their staff their own personal radio (I am assuming you get a charger and two batteries as well). I have heard of police departments that did that, but never an EMS one (or fire department for that matter). pretty interesting to see that some places are actually budgeting for stuff like that.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
wow, that's a new one for me. I have never been in an EMS organization that had enough extra money to give all their staff their own personal radio (I am assuming you get a charger and two batteries as well). I have heard of police departments that did that, but never an EMS one (or fire department for that matter). pretty interesting to see that some places are actually budgeting for stuff like that.
With our location and the possibility of natural disasters they consider it a necessity to have crews able to communicate and coordinate if an all hands mustering is needed

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Yes. No. Sometimes. It depends.

There is no one answer to this question and it varies greatly crew to crew and person to person.

That's funny right there I don't care who you are.

But in all seriousness he is correct. It all depends on the company, the crew, and even the moment at the time as to who carries what. As for myself, being as I am the chief medical officer on my unit, I like to keep the phone and radio with me. Not every medic does with my company. But that's just me.