Dual Sequential Defibrillation

jpmedic21

Forum Probie
we are able to do it here. unsure of the specifics as to which conditions warrant it, but i have done it once with our advanced medic, and have heard of multiple other times its been used.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
we are able to do it here. unsure of the specifics as to which conditions warrant it, but i have done it once with our advanced medic, and have heard of multiple other times its been used.

I've noticed that our 80's don't do it but our APPs do.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Kind of a cool concept. You figure these people are dead anyways, so the only risk is that you might save one or two a year by trying it. I believe i've seen it done once, and I don't believe it worked that time.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Kind of a cool concept. You figure these people are dead anyways, so the only risk is that you might save one or two a year by trying it. I believe i've seen it done once, and I don't believe it worked that time.

Are you serious? Really, the only arrest rhythm that has any measurable success in survival to discharge is VF. If sequenced shocks can convert refractory VF, it's more than just a "cool concept". It's actually a valid, workable solution to a problem that has prevented a successful resuscitation in these type of codes.

I hate the, "they're dead anyway, you can't make them any worse" mentality.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Are you serious? Really, the only arrest rhythm that has any measurable success in survival to discharge is VF. If sequenced shocks can convert refractory VF, it's more than just a "cool concept". It's actually a valid, workable solution to a problem that has prevented a successful resuscitation in these type of codes.

Well, you have to admit - it makes a good fallback line if the treatment doesn't work.

As for pad placement - I've only read of 1 pair fore/aft, and one top/bottom.

Oh, and I changed the title. Because it confused me at first.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief

Hey hey, i'm not trying to stir up trouble here. I understand what you're saying, i'm just pointing out that refractory v-fib is a superhard rhythm to break, and it is very unlikely that these patients are going to survive. If it makes you feel any better, I think of all arrests as dead people who are probably going to stay that way, but i'm trying to get them back regardless. I love working arrests, so don't think that my opinion in this regard at all effects my efforts.