drunken paramedic

seanm028

Forum Lieutenant
I wish our dispatchers were as nice and as patient as the dispatcher actor in that clip! :p

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Rid will have a hemmorrhoid!

I did, but it was from laughing!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
It could had been funny, however; after reading all the posts in regards to drunken EMT's & medics driving and operating while under the influence, it has lost its irony.

R/R 911

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
I just finished an AHA sponsored CPR course. They started off with a 10 minute clip (literally a full 1/10th of the class!) from British comedy showman, Rowan Atkinson.

He comes across a sudden death on the street and he goes through all sorts of ridiculous gyrations using automobile jumper cables to jump start the man back to life.

Rid, you'd gag at that one, too -- especially since the remaining course was a joke. I thought it was demeaning to the AHA.

The laugh on this one was, to me, all about how naiive the citizens were and their responses to the medic.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I think many misperceive me. I really have a great sense of humor and most co-workers find my me very humorous. There is a time and place for it, as well. The problem I am now finding is the parodies are no longer parodies, rather may truly represent our profession.

This would be similar or in comparison to the alcoholic firefighter, the "dirty" cop, that we all aware that exists but as well know that those are in small numbers to those that are truly professional and perform their job honorably.

Unfortunately, I don't think we have much of the public's trust. In comparison to such health care providers as nurses, we rank very low. Think about it.... discussion has been made on how communities do not even consider EMS as being essential. A dog catcher yes, EMS no.

So, I am all for humor about our profession, as long as there is equal and fair representation. Which at this time does not exist. Again, view the medics as those that transports DOA w/lights & sirens, or those that have no brains and will follow commands of anyone, or are burned out alcoholics, pedophiles, junkies..... Again, the public perception is based upon what they see.

R/r 911

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I believe in zero tolerance regarding drinking and driving or any substance abuse in association with our profession. However, I do believe that citizens in our country still possess the right to be tried and convicted before pilloried on the altar of public opinion. After they are proven to be guilty of the offence, zero tolerance!

rgnoon

Forum Lieutenant
"Subdue the hemorrhaging cardiac arrest by probing deeper into the anal subterfuge"

"control bleeding by gauze in the stratified squamous something into the superior rectal vein"

-Gotta be careful with the anal subterfuge, wouldn't want that cardiac arrest to exsanguinate rectally from the stratified squamous. :-D