Drug Protocols.

divinewind_007

Forum Lieutenant
Ok...i was suppose to write up some drug protocols for the fire dept.'s first responder program tonite. I forgot to bring home a copy of our ambulance protocols to go by. If somebody has got a copy...i need to write drug protocols for Oxygen, Oral Glucose, D50, Normal Saline, LR. Anybody got a copy handy. I have never wrote any up before and was just wanting a some to go by. If someone could help i would apprecite it. Thanks

doc5242

Forum Crew Member
divinewind_007 said:
Ok...i was suppose to write up some drug protocols for the fire dept.'s first responder program tonite. I forgot to bring home a copy of our ambulance protocols to go by. If somebody has got a copy...i need to write drug protocols for Oxygen, Oral Glucose, D50, Normal Saline, LR. Anybody got a copy handy. I have never wrote any up before and was just wanting a some to go by. If someone could help i would apprecite it. Thanks

since when can first responders give D50, normal saline and lactated ringers?? i am just curious

ffmedic

Forum Probie
If I might ask, what is the difference between most paramedics and a critical care paramedic? I just read most of the above protocols and find them pretty much the same as mine with about 4-5 extra drugs that appear to be just subs for ones I use. We also do IO's and cric's and central lines, though only once and I really don't care if I ever do again.

I realize different states have different ideas of who is what. Maybe its about the transport and hospital equipment. Just wondering if we are progressive in comparison or maybe we are CCmedics by other states standards.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
ffmedic said:
If I might ask, what is the difference between most paramedics and a critical care paramedic? I just read most of the above protocols and find them pretty much the same as mine with about 4-5 extra drugs that appear to be just subs for ones I use. We also do IO's and cric's and central lines, though only once and I really don't care if I ever do again.

I realize different states have different ideas of who is what. Maybe its about the transport and hospital equipment. Just wondering if we are progressive in comparison or maybe we are CCmedics by other states standards.
They have bigger heads ;)

In PA, the state doesn't have an acutal Critical-Care medic... but many transport companies and hospitals have critical care transport units with RN's and Medics... The Medic's scope of practice is still limited by the state and region protocols, and they are limited to the state ALS drug list (RN's can do whatever they have orders for)

Fight medics, however, have extended protocols and can do almost anything a nurse can (I'm not sure how this works thoough...).