Driving record: accident history

JBEMT93

Forum Ride Along
Alright I know I'm beating a dead horse by asking what are my chance of getting hired, but I have to ask.

I'm an EMT-B who is in the process of finishing paramedic school. Soon I will be looking for ALS jobs. I'm 21, but have 4 yrs under my belt, and 2 of those are working for an urban city.

However, I have a few accidents in my history. I'm not going to deny it, I was at fault each time. My first accident I rear ended someone at age 19. Was at fault got a ticket, no points. Accident #2 driving in emergency mode my wheel well clipped someone's bumper and it ended up on my abstract. Then yesterday my mirror clipped someone else's mirror. This was also while I was in emergency mode. PD told me it was non reportable and wouldn't show on my abstract.

So you've heard my story. Give it to me straight, do I have a chance, or will I be doing BLS for awhile.

Thank's for your help guys.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
It's going to depend on the company and what their policies are.

However getting in several accidents while using lights and sirens is not going to look good to companies at all.

Angel

Paramedic
assuming abstract is your dmv print out. if only 1 accident shows up then they wont know about the other ones.
ive not had an issue getting hired anywhere (well 1 job i did) with an accident (almost 4 years old) and speeding ticket (1 year old) so it depends...but not impossible

Rick Tresnak

Forum Crew Member
A Lot depends on the insurance carrier. I have seen people get cut for 3 speeding tickets. I have also seen people on the service driving with three DUIs. I think it depends on the service and how liberal the insurance underwriter is.

WildlandEMT89

Forum Lieutenant
Are you currently employed as an emt? And do the agencies you will be looking at allow medics to drive?