Dramatic car crash rescue

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Well whats worse, 2nd degree burns on your arms and a headache from insurance and work or watching someone burn up in a rolled over vehicle while you just stand and watch?

*Sigh* You do not want my answer to that question.

If you want to spend months in excruciating pain while going through rehab, thats your choice. I on the other hand elect to use a thought process that will allow the best outcome for the most people; and my personal safety tops that list. My family depends on my ability to perform in the field and I enjoy my livelihood. I am not equipped nor prepared to deal with someone elses emergency off duty, I have no duty to act, I am not covered under any insurance policy, do not wish to be part of litigation, and I have the faith in our local professional resources that can effectively deal with these emergencies.

Get some experience in this industry and you will see why most of us feel this way. You cant save the world, unfortunately Darwinism sometimes does apply.

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
*Sigh* You do not want my answer to that question.

If you want to spend months in excruciating pain while going through rehab, thats your choice. I on the other hand elect to use a thought process that will allow the best outcome for the most people; and my personal safety tops that list. My family depends on my ability to perform in the field and I enjoy my livelihood. I am not equipped nor prepared to deal with someone elses emergency off duty, I have no duty to act, I am not covered under any insurance policy, do not wish to be part of litigation, and I have the faith in our local professional resources that can effectively deal with these emergencies.

Get some experience in this industry and you will see why most of us feel this way. You cant save the world, unfortunately Darwinism sometimes does apply.

Well said...totally agree.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Well whats worse, 2nd degree burns on your arms and a headache from insurance and work or watching someone burn up in a rolled over vehicle while you just stand and watch?

What's worse, burning your arms, not being able to work, your family going hungry and losing your house, not being able to take care of the people who depend on you or staying in your car and calling 911 as you continue on to your destination?

Sounds cruel, sounds cold. But me and mine first, everyone else is second. I'd rather have one life destroyed as oppose to two.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief

Most surely the second degree burn.

The ol' EMS cliche holds true;

Your safety first. Then your partners. Then the publics. And finally, the patient.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Why are we even talking second degree burns? I would think a car fire has the potential for third degree burns, which to me with all the complications, pain and possible debility associated with bad burns is not worth POSSIBLY saving someone who is already possibly dead.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Click here to watch

There have been a few videos like this of people bringing victims out of burning vehicles, what do you think? Would you stop and help?

Dudes rippin open the jammed car door on the burning Caddy = RAD

Thumbs up

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
carry a fire extinguisher? thatd get rid of the fire issue... but as for the upside down car... thats another issue

reminds me of another time when i was a kid.... but that thats anohter story for another day... pm me for details

berkeman

Forum Lieutenant
carry a fire extinguisher? thatd get rid of the fire issue... but as for the upside down car... thats another issue

reminds me of another time when i was a kid.... but that thats anohter story for another day... pm me for details

Agree completely. Too many times you see bystanders trying to brave flames on a car that you can put out (or knock down) with a 10-pounder or two. Stupid. Just stay up-wind...

NREMTB12

Forum Probie
i guess its a good thing that they were using dry chemical extinguishers...becuase i would hate for them to have grabbed an APW or something and tried that without any PPE...most people in the general public dont know about magnesium in cars being water sensitive...that stuff will spark and shoot blue flames if the least bit of water hits it...and it would have been a real tragedy for one of those brave people to have found that out the hard way...just stay safe

VFFforpeople

Forum Captain
Fire... maybe.

But fire extinguishers don't instantly make red hot steel back to a touchable temp anytime soon.

That is true, but if you can cover the flame with the dry chem you stop the threat of fire..unless people run through it and then the fire comes back.

Just had a local call like this. a teenager lost his life when he was pinned and the suv caught fire (his 3friends got out) bystanders tried but he lost his life..it happens its life.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
and you have to remember that steam burns are worse than contact burns.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Fire... maybe.

But fire extinguishers don't instantly make red hot steel back to a touchable temp anytime soon.

Nor do people routinely carry them. I don't have one in my car and again since I'm not stopping, I wont have access to one. Guess the FD needs to boogey and save some lives!

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
Morons....crawling into an overturned car without any stabilization in place. They're only increasing the potential for more patients at an already chaotic scene. I can only imagine the scene control the first engine/ambulance in had to perform. The people tearing the other car apart have already been discussed here ad nauseum.

Can't expect much from a public that most likely has no medical/extrication training and a hero/I-want-to-be-on-TV complex.

Last edited by a moderator: