Down Under - Australia

OP
OP
A

AusMed

Forum Crew Member
Welcome, I hope all is ok where you are from (in relation to the fires).

OzAmbo

Forum Crew Member
Yeah Aus, as far as ambulance goes it's had very little impact on our workload, though i believe air ambulance got hammered on sunday moring flying in and out of marysville and king lake..

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
Yeah Aus, as far as ambulance goes it's had very little impact on our workload, though i believe air ambulance got hammered on sunday moring flying in and out of marysville and king lake..

Hope that things settle down soon for your area, Ambo!

I have a some cousins living in the areas around Melbourne, still waiting to here how a couple of them are. from their sister back here in NZ.
I know one of them lost all her chickens to the heat (over 50 degrees) and that was before the fires started.
So guess the Ambulance services there would have had to deal with quite a few heat related calls, over the past weeks as well?

Cheers Enjoynz

CanuckAussie

Forum Ride Along
Down under...

Hey. I am a Canadian medic who has relocated to Australia, and would be happy to answer any questions about the clinical practice down here.

I do agree with the previous poster who cautioned medics wishing to come down to work for short terms. It simply will not happen.

I look forward to meeting you all in the forum

OP
OP
A

AusMed

Forum Crew Member
Canuck,
Are you working with a Service? Which one?

CanuckAussie

Forum Ride Along
I work for the QAS, Brisbane region.

All in all a very good service to work for, and though I think they need to make some changes, I am quite happy in my new home.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Another Aussie here. A gurkin from Victoria. I am so tempted to move to NSW when I finish my degree... purely for the motorcycle MICA positions. LOL. Dont much care for the paint work on you vans though ;-)

By the way we still use some of the old 'Box' Ambulances for the Community Emergency Response Teams and as backups.

OP
OP
A

AusMed

Forum Crew Member
Next training level complete

Quick update from me. I've been off the internet for a month or so with my head in the books, completing my next level of training.
I am now officially a Paramedic Intern and no longer a probie. Woo-hoo!
I am still not deemed to be a fully qualified Paramedic, but no longer require another officer to be with me at time of pt care, which means I am now responsible for my own treatment decisions. It also means that I could have a probie working with me.......:wacko:
I have been posted to a different part of Sydney then where I did my probation year at so time to learn a new part of the sity and deal with a new type of people.....:ph34r:

Hope everyone is behaving.

EMSborn2save

Forum Ride Along
US paramedic in hopes of transition

I am a paramedic with an Associates Degree in Emergency Medical Services. I have been working for a very aggressive EMS service in Florida (US) for the past 4 years. I am wanting to move to AU, preferably to Sydney, and work as a medic there for the next year or so. What steps do I need to take to become a medic in AU? Do I have to redo all of my schooling?

Thanks, Ashley

goidf

Forum Crew Member
Rabbi in Aussi EMS

Hay, I heard that there is a real full bearded black hat wearing rabbi in EMS in Sydney, anyone heard of him?

Melbourne MICA

Forum Captain
Melbourne MICA

Just a quick hello to all you pretenders from NSW. Melbourne MICA is where its at - That is unless our management (and government) doesn't put us all into an early grave first.:):)

MM

PS Meclin buddy - what's all this about moving to Sydney for the bikes? Nothing better than ICP teams for best pt care and for your sanity!

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Hey guys, Do you know if Oz or UK accept NREMT-P reciprocity?

reguards,- Mike

downunderwunda

Forum Captain
Hey guys, Do you know if Oz or UK accept NREMT-P reciprocity?

reguards,- Mike

Each case is a individul basis. They will not ofer the same reciprocy to the US medics as English because of the training. Is a person with NREMT-P as qualified as someon with a number of years experience & similar paper qualifications? We dont need medic mill morons thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Just a quick hello to all you pretenders from NSW. Melbourne MICA is where its at - That is unless our management (and government) doesn't put us all into an early grave first.:):)

MM

PS Meclin buddy - what's all this about moving to Sydney for the bikes? Nothing better than ICP teams for best pt care and for your sanity!

Yeah....but...bikes. I think that's worth the sacrifice of integrity, dignity and sanity that would obviously come from moving to NSW.

(pssst... you have become an SRU to take em down from the inside, then ride away triumphant into the sunset on one of those bloody huge BMWs.. my plan is fool proof)

Jinx

Forum Crew Member
Hey all. Noob here, just moved from melb to nsw to study and I hate it up here, can't wait to move back to Melbourne! Anyway been lurking a while so figured I'd say g'day.

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
Hey all. Noob here, just moved from melb to nsw to study and I hate it up here, can't wait to move back to Melbourne! Anyway been lurking a while so figured I'd say g'day.

Welcome to the site from your Kiwi EMS Cousin!

Cheers Enjoynz