Does your company have a policy against this?

Sasha

Forum Chief
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone's company has a policy against this..

We had just bought lunch, and gotten a call. So we were driving to our call and got off the interstate, waiting at the light.

Right next to us was a very thin and bad off looking old Asian man with a handmade sign describing that he was homeless, and hungry.

I didn't have cash on me, only a debit card, so I handed my to go bag and a gatorade to my partner and told her to give it to the homeless man, literally right outside of our window. She does.

Later, after we cleared a call, we got called back to the main station. I got my bum chewed, apparently I put us at risk, I put the homeless man at risk, and I put the public at risk of getting distracted and into an accident because I had my partner give this homeless man my lunch. SOMEONE, another employee or a bystander or something called and complained because we were showing a hungry man some compassion.

So I'm wondering if anyone had any experiences with this or a policy against this? If so, can you explain why? I don't understand it.

I am still in awe, I said a few things that I probably should have in rebuttal, but although I'm not written up, I did get yelled at, and I'm really irritated by it.

Hell, I would think it'd be good publicity to be seen giving food to a hungry stranger. Aren't we supposed to be caring and compassionate towards our fellow human??

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't say I've heard of that before. I for one am glad to call you a fellow EMS professional...that's what were here for..to help.

with a handmade sign describing that he was homeless, and hungry.

Most likely he was more interested in getting money to buy alcohol and/or drugs.

So I'm wondering if anyone had any experiences with this or a policy against this?
I have a personal rule against giving food to the homeless. Money is absolutely out of the question. That said, I know one of my former EMTs was given a citation by a police officer for giving money to a beggar (excuse me, "homeless man down on his luck") while on duty. She came into the station prattling much like you're doing about how unfair it was. I proceeded to write her up for it- both for breaking the law while on duty and for unprofessional conduct of acting like a total self-righteous little twit when she got back to station. The law is the law and the law against supporting the homeless through handouts exists for good reasons (keeps them from annoying us, keeps them from thinking this practice is a good idea).

It's not as if most towns and cities of any decent size do not have charities and other support measures for those who truly want to help themselves get out of those situations. I help them get to this help by reporting any of these derelicts to the proper authorities. It also helps keep my property value from going down because of their presence.

Carry business cards or fliers of the local soup kitchen or social services. That will feed them longer.

I have also given food, instead of money, to those panhandling only to have them toss it in the trash.

While the laws banning panhandling in Florida have been in the courts for a few years, there are still laws that prohibit anything that interferes or causes a distraction in traffic areas. These laws can be enforced for all parties involved in the activity.

I can understand the arguement for giving money, but why not food? I suppose they could go sell the Big Mac for money to buy a bottle...;) Just the general principle of not giving free handouts?

Most likely he was more interested in getting money to buy alcohol and/or drugs.

So? I do what I can to help someone in need, whether they be in need of medical attention, or food, or money. After that, I have given them a choice, and it is their business what they do with it.

I have a personal rule against giving food to the homeless. Money is absolutely out of the question. That said, I know one of my former EMTs was given a citation by a police officer for giving money to a beggar (excuse me, "homeless man down on his luck") while on duty. She came into the station prattling much like you're doing about how unfair it was. I proceeded to write her up for it- both for breaking the law while on duty and for unprofessional conduct of acting like a total self-righteous little twit when she got back to station. The law is the law and the law against supporting the homeless through handouts exists for good reasons (keeps them from annoying us, keeps them from thinking this practice is a good idea).

It's not as if most towns and cities of any decent size do not have charities and other support measures for those who truly want to help themselves get out of those situations. I help them get to this help by reporting any of these derelicts to the proper authorities. It also helps keep my property value from going down because of their presence.

You really confuse me. You honestly do!

Yes, it would and should be good PR. I have a rule about not giving money, but I've bought an undomiciled individual a sandwigh, chips, Mickey D's on several occasions, or just gave them the rest of my dinner.

As far as being verbally admonished, you could say "Show me right now in the P&P manual (SOP's, rule book, whatever) where it expressly forbids me to do what I did". That line should pretty much work for any situation in which you were in the right. But that's just me.

You're IFT and waiting at a light, right? That implies that you were enroute to a routine Xfer, with a prescheduled pick up time. Additionally, you handed over your meal at a red light, so little if any time was actually lost.

Who ratted you out? The fact that someone actually saw that and reported it to managament is a pretty :censored::censored: move.

Just the general principle of not giving free handouts?

No, just I don't believe in giving handouts to those who generally choose not to help themselves. It's one thing to reach out a hand to help someone up, but it's a completely separate one to do the social equivalent of bringing some lazy unemployed :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: in a recliner a free beer so he doesn't have to get up and get it himself let alone work for it. I look at the homeless a lot like I do dogs: don't reinforce the behavior you don't want to encourage them to keep doing.

Who ratted you out?

I think it was another employee, I can't be certain, but I really think it was.

last time I rolled down my window for a homeless man I ended up taking him to the hospital.

As far as being verbally admonished, you could say "Show me right now in the P&P manual (SOP's, rule book, whatever) where it expressly forbids me to do what I did". That line should pretty much work for any situation in which you were in the right. But that's just me.

It does not have to be a company policy. It is a state law which is found in most states about anything or anyone that interferes with the flow of traffic. This definitely includes the intersections off interstates. This would hold true if you were in your own car. Not only is this for the safety in traffic of the people in cars but also for the one panhandling. They may run out into the path of a car. As well, it may encourage those that you shouldn't roll down your window for if they know you are a softy.

We had just bought lunch, and gotten a call. So we were driving to our call and got off the interstate, waiting at the light.

I believe in directing them to a place to get them more appropriate help that does not put others at risk. If you decide to stop or pull over out of the traffic area, be sure to notify your dispatcher of your location.

I do what I can to help someone in need, whether they be in need of medical attention, or food, or money.

Can I borrow $10 then? :lol:

I do what I can to help someone in need, whether they be in need of medical attention, or food, or money. After that, I have given them a choice, and it is their business what they do with it.

Then why not just open up the drug kit and hand them the morphine then? Or carry around fifths of Jack? Save them the trouble. Adding an intervening step does not absolve one of guilt in acting as a willing accomplice in destructive behavior.

You really confuse me. You honestly do!

Probably because I don't see the world as black and white like you do which allows me to tailor my stances to the situation as appropriate.

Who ratted you out? The fact that someone actually saw that and reported it to managament is a pretty ***** move.

I would have done the same thing if it violated the law.

No, just I don't believe in giving handouts to those who generally choose not to help themselves. It's one thing to reach out a hand to help someone up, but it's a completely separate one to do the social equivalent of bringing some lazy unemployed :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: in a recliner a free beer so he doesn't have to get up and get it himself let alone work for it. I look at the homeless a lot like I do dogs: don't reinforce the behavior you don't want to encourage them to keep doing.

+100

Took the words outa my mouth

it's a completely separate one to do the social equivalent of bringing some lazy unemployed :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: in a recliner a free beer so he doesn't have to get up and get it himself let alone work for it.
WOW...
there is a gross misunderstanding of who is homeless in the US.

http://mentalhealth.samhsa.gov/publications/allpubs/homelessness/

some brief facts:
Over a 5-year period, about 2 to 3 percent of the U.S. population (5 to 8 million people) will experience at least one night of homelessness.
Thirty-nine percent report some form of mental health problem, and 20 to 25 percent meet criteria for serious mental illnesses.
Sixty-six percent report substance use and/or mental health problems.
Fifty-four percent were incarcerated at some point in their lives.
Twenty-one percent were homeless as children.
Twenty-three percent are veterans (compared to 13 percent of the general population).

With the cutbacks in mental health facilities and other services, the homeless come in a wide variety of people. That also includes people who got into more house than they could afford. Again, it is just a matter of directing them towards the right services. However, expect some anger and possible violence with some if you suggest that. Many have been panhandling for several years and have more experience than you do. If it comes to someone needing medical attention, no problem. But, again, call your dispatcher and take the same scene precautions you would for any other call. You should be able to do a citizen flag down call legallly.
Don't become a traffic distraction to where others can be injured.

while i agree withe most posts here on not handing food or money to homeless folks (I have my reasons that have nothing to do with a lack of empathy for those truely down on their luck and in need of help), can anyone honestly say that Sasha did anything morally wrong that should warrent disciplinary action? Dispite the fact that I would not act as Sasha did, I applaud her actions and find it horrible that anyone would report an act of kindness...

luck and in need of help), can anyone honestly say that Sasha did anything morally wrong that should warrent disciplinary action? Dispite the fact that I would not act as Sasha did, I applaud her actions and find it horrible that anyone would report an act of kindness...

Sasha has a good heart but still violated the law and possibly endangered the safety of others including the person she was trying to help. It would be of an LEO's right to issue a ticket which would also have not been good in the eyes of her company. Safety first. It probably wasn't about giving the food but rather the location she did the act of kindness.

last time I rolled down my window for a homeless man I ended up taking him to the hospital.

I had a partner, that when flagged down by a drunk wanting "detox" or something, he would telegraph looking at his watch, tell them the time nice and loud, and then drive away.

Yup he more than likely wanted money for alcohol and or drugs it has happened to me quite a few times. One day I was going through the drive through at a mcdonalds and there was a man and woman standing outside mcdonalds asking everyone who went through the drive through for money because they were hungry and wanted to go inside and buy some food, I told them meet me on the other side and I will order them some food. I get to the other side and neither of them are no where to be found....Must not of been that hungry.

One thing I found out very quickly in this field is that there a whole lot of RATS. They disgust me. These self righteous, holier than thou types are scurrying all over the place writing people up for this and that. Make me really miss the military. We dealt with those types swiftly. I have less than zero respect for tattle tales. That crap should be beaten out of you by 9th grade. Of course if you are causing harm to a Pt that's a different matter, but if I see it I will deal with it on the spot, then if there is no understanding, the chain of command gets involved.

Back