Does my schedule suck ?

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
<shudder> There was talk about switching to that years ago...all I can say is you better hope that you work a slow truck!
Haha its not bad at all.
And I do lol. We run 0-3 calls per 24 on average.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I'd much rather run the 6-13 over 3 in a 24 hour shift (provided they're all before midnight and I can sleep hahaha). 3 calls in my normal 12 is pretty slow and leave me bored to tears scrambling to find productive things around station to do (in our urban system dispatch to back in quarters is often less than an hour) (I'm still considered a rookie here in my current FD so hanging out in a lazy chair in the tv room is a no-no lol)

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
weds : 3-midnight
thurs : 3-midnight
fri : 10a-10p
sat : 7p-7a

whats your schedules? and would you like or dislike mine?
I would light my ambulance on fire if that was my schedule. Good luck man.

I work 24s on the "california rotation." I like them, but we are medium volume service.

I've worked 8, 10, and 13 hour shifts prior to this. I loved the 13s, three days a week but still full time.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I'd love to work a 4/3/3/4 schedule if I kept my annual salary but losing 12 hours every other week 8 of which is Time and a half pay is a big hit to take if you add it up over the course of a year.

We had the option of switching to this schedule this year, and I took it, knowing full well I'm losing >$8,000 a year for that extra one day off every 2 weeks.

Honestly, my preferred schedule would be WWOWWOO (So, Monday, Tuesday work, Wed off, Thurs, Fri work, and off on Sat, Sun), this way you only ever work 2 days in a row, have the weekends off, and still make full salary. We have that shift, alas I don't have the seniority yet to pick it before someone else does.

escapedcaliFF

Forum Lieutenant
Well being we are short staffed my current schedule is 24s x 3 days (Monday, Wednesday, Saturday) a week with as many days extra I want. Normally I only work 2x 24s. We have a guy going through a divorce right now who hasn't had a day off in about 8 days cause he has no where to go home to.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Well being we are short staffed my current schedule is 24s x 3 days (Monday, Wednesday, Saturday) a week with as many days extra I want. Normally I only work 2x 24s. We have a guy going through a divorce right now who hasn't had a day off in about 8 days cause he has no where to go home to.
While it's nice that they are supporting him, if he's worked 192 consecutive hours in a row and you have any sort of call volume, that's downright unsafe.

escapedcaliFF

Forum Lieutenant
While it's nice that they are supporting him, if he's worked 192 consecutive hours in a row and you have any sort of call volume, that's downright unsafe.

I agree while it not the greatest it's what works for him personally at moment. Our management knows they are asking a lot of us right now and have no problem with us sleeping in station. I actually get more sleep at work then at home so it's not as bad as it sounds.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
If you get designated sleep time during that time, that's one thing. But being available to run calls for that amount of time is unsafe for his patients.