Does anyone know why Florida doesn't have EMT-I?

txquty

Forum Ride Along
I start EMT-B school in September 2011. I am super excited about it and plan to go further. I was hoping to do EMT-I next, however Florida only recognizes EMT-B & EMT-P. Anyone know why?

I would have liked to train gradually as I will not be leaving my full-time day job and once I have my NREMT plan to register as a EMS Reservist for my county. I won't be able to go right into medic school right away due to my current schedule. I will be burning the candle at both ends from September to December to complete school.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I start EMT-B school in September 2011. I am super excited about it and plan to go further. I was hoping to do EMT-I next, however Florida only recognizes EMT-B & EMT-P. Anyone know why?

Cause Florida recognizes the need to keep things simple. Two levels of training. Nice and easy.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I could see three, but only two for transporting EMS.

Texas is bad enough with Intermediate and two levels of paramedic. Places like Colorado with all the various different endorsements are just confusing.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Essentially because the I-level is pointless. If we educated all intermediates as paramedics we would have more skilled, better educated and better equipped field staff.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Essentially because the I-level is pointless. If we educated all intermediates as paramedics we would have more skilled, better educated and better equipped field staff.

Depends if you view EMT-Is as a replacement for paramedics or as a replacement for EMTs. The base level provider (lowest level legally allowed to man an ambulance, generally the EMT is the US) needs to have a higher scope of practice, and a significantly higher level of education to go along with it, if for no better reason than to increase the efficiency of the emergency medical system. What point is there when a provider can generally do no more than provide oxygen and drive to the hospital?

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Depends if you view EMT-Is as a replacement for paramedics or as a replacement for EMTs. The base level provider (lowest level legally allowed to man an ambulance, generally the EMT is the US) needs to have a higher scope of practice, and a significantly higher level of education to go along with it, if for no better reason than to increase the efficiency of the emergency medical system. What point is there when a provider can generally do no more than provide oxygen and drive to the hospital?
I agree with JPINFV. Replace B with I, and you won't have to worry about 3. :cool:

JPINFV

Gadfly
agreed as well... but then why not have all medics? very slippery slope:wacko:
There's a legitimate argument that some paramedic level interventions are perishable and should be performed only by a limited number of providers (the archetypical one is endotracheal intubation). So the ultimate question is, "How can we ensure that a limited number of providers are allowed to perform the perishable interventions while ensuring that everyone gets an appropriate minimum level of care?" Now the trick is defining, "What's an appropriate minimum level of care?" and "Which interventions are perishable and at risk?"

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
agreed as well... but then why not have all medics? very slippery slope:wacko:

Because medics are not needed on 95% of calls. Let's face it take an Intermediate with say one year of in-depth education, replace intubation with 12-lead acquisition and interpretation and add decent options for pain and NV management (including narcotics) and you can now run 95% of the "ALS1" calls in the nation. Put the paramedics in fly cars and have them run high acuity intercepts.

However, due to many, many factors it's not gonna happen.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Because Florida sees the ridiculousness in a million different levels and certs of training.

Basic. Medic. Very plain and simple.

hyperlyeman1

Forum Probie
Because medics are not needed on 95% of calls. Let's face it take an Intermediate with say one year of in-depth education, replace intubation with 12-lead acquisition and interpretation and add decent options for pain and NV management (including narcotics) and you can now run 95% of the "ALS1" calls in the nation. Put the paramedics in fly cars and have them run high acuity intercepts.

However, due to many, many factors it's not gonna happen.

Ah... true. But who is to decide before they arrive on scene who gets those paramedics? Before you get to the call there is no way to definitively know if a medic is needed. IF you dispatch an EMT-I to a call and all of a sudden the patient requires a skill that requires a EMT-P, do yous it and wait? Load and go? Every ALS rig should have at least one paramedic on it, and in my opinion an EMT-I wouldn't hurt for when the :excl: hits the fan. But hey, I'm not the one doing the county requirements for rig staffing.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Ah... true. But who is to decide before they arrive on scene who gets those paramedics? Before you get to the call there is no way to definitively know if a medic is needed. IF you dispatch an EMT-I to a call and all of a sudden the patient requires a skill that requires a EMT-P, do yous it and wait? Load and go? Every ALS rig should have at least one paramedic on it, and in my opinion an EMT-I wouldn't hurt for when the :excl: hits the fan. But hey, I'm not the one doing the county requirements for rig staffing.

The same thing places like SA, AUS and NZ are doing now. You get an ETA of an advanced provider, if your closer to the ED you transport. If not you get an intercept.

Very, very few patients require paramedic level interventions "right now". Probably less than 0.1% (completely pulled that number out of my rear). Most people can wait 5 or 10 minutes with good management.

Things like county staffing requirements are one of many reasons it won't happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
Hasn't EMT-I been phasing out? And one reason florida does thing on its own is because florida has no reciprocity, Unfortunatly you wont be able to take your EMT-P license from here to any other state unless you pass the National Medics test after you have your State license.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Hasn't EMT-I been phasing out? And one reason florida does thing on its own is because florida has no reciprocity, Unfortunatly you wont be able to take your EMT-P license from here to any other state unless you pass the National Medics test after you have your State license.

Technically yes, it's now Advanced EMT instead of EMT-Intermediate. However states are free to use, abuse, or make up their own levels on their own accord.