Does anyone know why Florida doesn't have EMT-I?

JPINFV

Gadfly
First Responder... lol...

First responder isn't a level anymore either according to the national model. It's emergency medical responder, emergency medical technician, advanced emergency medical technician, and paramedic. Any deviation from that is a [fatherless child]-ization of the system (not that that's necessarily a bad thing though).

So don't be happy that Florida doesn't 'use, abuse, or make up their own levels' (my words, which you agreed to) when Florida does make up their own levels, even if in name only.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
First responder isn't a level anymore either according to the national model. It's emergency medical responder, emergency medical technician, advanced emergency medical technician, and paramedic. Any deviation from that is a [fatherless child]-ization of the system (not that that's necessarily a bad thing though).

So don't be happy that Florida doesn't 'use, abuse, or make up their own levels' (my words, which you agreed to) when Florida does make up their own levels, even if in name only.

No one recognises First Responders <.<... there was sarcasm in my original statement doesn't translate that well over text I guess.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Actually, Texas has a state certification that's equivalent to EMR.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
Actually, Texas has a state certification that's equivalent to EMR.

Sorry... no agency in florida recognises first responder, at least not down here in south florida since most companys don't hire just drivers.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
I'd go one step farther and say that I/I with P intercept would be fine, assuming decent education and scope for both.

Thats essentially what we do here.

Our Paramedic level is in between your EMT-I and EMT-P. We have two of these on a truck. For extra skills and drugs (intubation, cardioversion, TCP, ketamine, thrombolysis etc) we have Intensive Care Paramedics who intercept when called.

Needless to say, only a small percentage of calls need ICP's.

pa132399

Forum Crew Member
Depends if you view EMT-Is as a replacement for paramedics or as a replacement for EMTs. The base level provider (lowest level legally allowed to man an ambulance, generally the EMT is the US) needs to have a higher scope of practice, and a significantly higher level of education to go along with it, if for no better reason than to increase the efficiency of the emergency medical system. What point is there when a provider can generally do no more than provide oxygen and drive to the hospital?

very well stated and is the one of the reasons i'm going to medic school

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Thats essentially what we do here.

Our Paramedic level is in between your EMT-I and EMT-P. We have two of these on a truck. For extra skills and drugs (intubation, cardioversion, TCP, ketamine, thrombolysis etc) we have Intensive Care Paramedics who intercept when called.

Needless to say, only a small percentage of calls need ICP's.

It's really a much more cost efficient system that make more sense medically. Unfortunately, the reimbursement system and demand for "the more medics the better" makes it tough to pull off in the US.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I've been saying trucks should be I/P for years.

You'd like the system here. Decently progressive, we rarely have to call for orders, in fact I've never seen it done on any of my rides. No RSI, it's not in the Nevada Paramedic scope, but the medical director is working on getting around that for the CCEMT-Ps, possibly all of the medics. Usually there's 13-15 I/P trucks on the road and 1-2 P/P trucks. The integrated flight service runs CCEMT-P/CCRN, the flight crew uses a ground unit for CCTs.

I agree with abolishing Basic and only having Intermediate and Paramedic.

OP
OP
T

txquty

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the input

The only issue I foresee with being a Basic in Florida, is really there isn't much else we can do but give oxygen and transport. As far as reciprocity if I move and I do plan on moving in the next 3yrs, I am more than willing to take the state's licensing test. In Florida, once we complete our course we take the NREMT. This is according to the admissions ppl at the school I will be attending in September.

Plus since I am not affiliated with any FD or anything, it's out of pocket so I have to keep my full time day job and take classes/clinicals at night. Wish me luck!

Thanks!

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
The only issue I foresee with being a Basic in Florida, is really there isn't much else we can do but give oxygen and transport. As far as reciprocity if I move and I do plan on moving in the next 3yrs, I am more than willing to take the state's licensing test. In Florida, once we complete our course we take the NREMT. This is according to the admissions ppl at the school I will be attending in September.

Plus since I am not affiliated with any FD or anything, it's out of pocket so I have to keep my full time day job and take classes/clinicals at night. Wish me luck!

Thanks!

yes once you finish your basic you take the NREMT-B, with that you can go anywhere. But the reciprocity was reffering to your EMT-P. Sorry if I didnt explain the apropriately, good luck by the way! I'm sure you'll do great.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
The only issue I foresee with being a Basic in Florida, is really there isn't much else we can do but give oxygen and transport.

And it is somehow different in other states? :D

Oh look you might be allowed to ring up on the ambophone to "medical control" and ask if you can "assist" this person with their GTN?

/taking the piss

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
I agree with JPINFV. Replace B with I, and you won't have to worry about 3. :cool:

Here in most of Canada the lowest level provider is the Primary Care Paramedic which is equal to EMT-I. The other level is Advanced Care Paramedic which is equal to EMT-P. Some province and the number is shrinking use Emergency Medical Responder which is equal to EMT-B. Our EMR is mainly used by rural areas that have limited financial resources to train their members. For the most part its either PCP/PCP or PCP/ACP or ACP/ACP.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
And it is somehow different in other states? :D

Oh look you might be allowed to ring up on the ambophone to "medical control" and ask if you can "assist" this person with their GTN?

/taking the piss

Hah, if I were in that situation, I would say take it if you want, I can't stop you. One thing EMT-Bs (in NC) are legally allowed to administer is any oral medications prescribed to a person by their private physician, so if someone expresses a desire to take some prescribed medication, I think it will likely help, and I can't think of a good reason to stop them, then they can go ahead.