Does anyone know of a review class for the psychomotor exam?

RMD3819

Forum Probie
I have been out of the game awhile, was never NR, and considering getting my National Registry.

My practical skills are rusty and definitely need a review course. Willing to travel for a quality review session.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
The NREMT psychomotor exam went away from the EMT level a couple of years ago and is supposed to be going away from AEMT and Medic levels early this year if not already. They are being replaced with program specific skills testing.

OP
OP
R

RMD3819

Forum Probie
Sorry I am referring to the Paramedic exam. The sunsetting seems far away based on the timeline on the website. It is step 7 on the plan and they are currently at step 3.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
The Advanced level psychomotor exams will not sunset until 2025 at the earliest.

I suggest speaking with a paramedic program coordinator and asking if you can work with someone to review the skills.

The current skills are (in my opinion) ridiculous. A dynamic and static cardiology station, a trauma assessment, oral cases and the integrated out of hospital scenario.

There’s really not much to “practice” with these skills, its more about critical thinking and knowledge. The trauma assessment is the only psychomotor skill that is truly linear.

OP
OP
R

RMD3819

Forum Probie
I called the place that the exam is held. Guy said they can do a review the day before. Can’t remember how much he said the cost was but the review was 45 minutes. Didn’t inspire confidence.

Quite honestly I am nervous about this. I became a medic in 1980. Wish me luck.

NomadicMedic

I called the place that the exam is held. Guy said they can do a review the day before. Can’t remember how much he said the cost was but the review was 45 minutes. Didn’t inspire confidence.

Quite honestly I am nervous about this. I became a medic in 1980. Wish me luck.

Honestly, unless you’ve practiced the skills and are intimately familiar with the rubric, it’ll be a fail.

Study the sheets. Work with an instructor or NREMT evaluator to ensure you’re doing the right things, otherwise you’re wasting your time.

Full disclosure: I am an NREMT advanced level exam rep and we fail “experienced paramedics” All. The. Time. They learned bad habits and shortcuts that trip them up.

NomadicMedic

The NREMT psychomotor exam went away from the EMT level a couple of years ago and is supposed to be going away from AEMT and Medic levels early this year if not already. They are being replaced with program specific skills testing.

And many states still conduct a psychomotor exam for EMT, several still use the old 2016 NREMT skill sheets.

OP
OP
R

RMD3819

Forum Probie
Honestly, unless you’ve practiced the skills and are intimately familiar with the rubric, it’ll be a fail.

Study the sheets. Work with an instructor or NREMT evaluator to ensure you’re doing the right things, otherwise you’re wasting your time.

Full disclosure: I am an NREMT advanced level exam rep and we fail “experienced paramedics” All. The. Time. They learned bad habits and shortcuts that trip them up.
Thanks. I appreciate your candor. I’ll study the sheets and YT videos.

OP
OP
R

RMD3819

Forum Probie
Nomadic Medic (or anyone):
These requirements are listed under the PATT for psychomotor:

3. The candidate affiliates with an approved EMS education site
4. The EMS Program Director of the approved EMS education site will confirm candidate eligibility for the Advanced Level Psychomotor Examination based on state requirements

Is the “education site” the testing center? I am not affiliated with anyone especially an education site.

NomadicMedic

Nomadic Medic (or anyone):
These requirements are listed under the PATT for psychomotor:

3. The candidate affiliates with an approved EMS education site
4. The EMS Program Director of the approved EMS education site will confirm candidate eligibility for the Advanced Level Psychomotor Examination based on state requirements

Is the “education site” the testing center? I am not affiliated with anyone especially an education site.

Yes. That is the site that is sponsoring the exam.