Does ANYone From TEXAS know anything about.....

gumby4532

Forum Probie
I'm currently in the middle of my Paramedic program in California. I will be moving to Texas in August/September (pending when precepting ends). I'm moving to the Rio Grande Valley area (either McAllen or Brownesville). I was wondering if anyone knows about their EMS in this area, such as; their scope of practice (couldn't find it anywhere), what companies are present in these areas (Only found Valley EMS and STEC-EMS), and which companies run their 911 system. Any information about this area would be greatly appreciated. I'm pretty much walking blindly into this right now. Thanks guys

Squad51

Forum Crew Member
Can I ask why you would want to live down around the border? It's not like it is in SoCal. It's much worse. Especially over around Edinburg and Nuevo Laredo. If you're not stuck on the Rio Grande Valley but still want to be in that general area, check out Austin Travis County EMS. Austin is only about and hour and a half to two hours away, depending on where exactly you live. They are one of the top EMS providers in the state, if not the country. They are hard to get on with, but pay very well, have awesome protocols, and top notch equipment. If you want to look further east check out East Texas Medical Center in Tyler. They don't pay as well, but they have great equipment and pretty good protocols. Plus they have a huge coverage area. The largest 911 provider in Texas, and it's a really big state! Lol Might also check out Montgomery County EMS. They pay good. Not sure about their protocols though. Most EMS in Texas have great protocols as far as letting you work on standing orders, rather than having to call for every little thing. Be careful if you get up around west Texas. Like around Alpine. I can't remember the name of the company, but a guy I know was an EMT-Basic with no EMS experience and he quit because of how shady their patient care was.
Good luck. If you have any questions PM me.

OP
OP
gumby4532

gumby4532

Forum Probie
Can I ask why you would want to live down around the border? It's not like it is in SoCal. It's much worse. Especially over around Edinburg and Nuevo Laredo.

I get asked this question constantly. My fiancee got a teaching position down there as a two year contract. Only plan on living down there for that time, then moving more up north towards Houston/Austin area, but just looking for work when I'll be down there for the two years. Ill be fresh out of medic school from California when I head over. So just hoping to get some type of experience there.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Get good insurance on everything including your life.

Squad51

Forum Crew Member
Is this how sketch this area truly is?

Umm, YES. Unless you don't mind kidnappings for ransom, murder, rape, drugs, gangs, car thefts...

OP
OP
gumby4532

gumby4532

Forum Probie
Umm, YES. Unless you don't mind kidnappings for ransom, murder, rape, drugs, gangs, car thefts...

Sounds like Los Angeles...haha just kidding

Alright well I'll definitely look into those areas you mentioned. Hopefully none of those things happen to my fiancee or me.

Squad51

Forum Crew Member
I forgot to tell you, as far as scope of practice goes, it will vary from service to service. Just depends on what their medical director allows. The paramedic scope of practice isn't defined by the state like other parts of the country. It's basically whatever the medical director allows his EMT's and Paramedics to do.