Doctor's Ambulance

Always BSI

Forum Lieutenant
Alright been lurking on and off for a little bit, so lets see if we can get some of your questions answered.

Doctor's Ambulance is an amazing company to work for. The professionalism but also family feel within the company is great. Doctor's Ambulance has a contract for OCFA and Laguna Beach Fire for South Orange County that extends from Tustin to San Clemente with the exception of Mission Viejo. After Hiring, Orientation, and training you are put onto a 911 car that can also run IFT's occasionally. They seem to pretty much be always hiring every month or two. How the hiring process works:

Application: Go to their website, submit application and then either attach or personally turn in all your required certs and/or paperwork.

They will call you back and then give you a testing date. Test is 60 questions long and you are only able to miss 10. The test usually changes from class to class but you can expect anything EMT-B related and general workplace and interpersonal skills questions.

Pass the test then get called back for an interview.

Pass the interview and you will get a hiring date and a orientation date.

Congrats, you are hired and now begin your three month probation.

A few other questions that I have seen in this thread. Yes Doctor's pays for the full 24 hour shift. Yes you can get overtime, very easily I might add. If you are full time you are required to work 48 hours in a week (that is two 24 hour shifts) and can pick up as much overtime as you want or can handle. If you wanted to you could work 96 to over 120 hours a week, eat your heart out kid. How the shifts work is it is divided into three A, B, and C shifts. A shift is Monday/Tuesday (48 hour), B shift is Wednesday and Friday, C shift is Thursday to Sunday. Saturday is divided on the shifts and you are given it once every three weeks depending on the shift cycle.

The experience from this company alone is invaluable. You are working with fire every day in both an EMT attendant and driver position. They realize that most EMT's are not in it for the long haul here and fully encourage you to progress and seek a career in the fire department. Doctor's Ambulance in my opinion is a top notch and amazing company to work for. They were recently bought by AMR however but have changed very little so you get a family feeling oriented company with the backing of a major EMS provider. Hopefully that answers the majority of questions for Doctor's, I might pop in from time to time and see if their are any more that I did not address. Good luck!

nice post.

http://gyazo.com/60df810be9724b68da0c775f7260f064

Where can I get the above at? I'm a bit confused on that part. I don't want to show up there without that. I have everything else tho'.

CrackerBDingus

Forum Crew Member
Not being with doctor's, but working around them a lot(I am with Medix, the company that has Mission viejo), they are a good group and i'd recommend them over the majority of companies in OC.

ToyotaTruck

Forum Crew Member
Alright been lurking on and off for a little bit, so lets see if we can get some of your questions answered.

Doctor's Ambulance is an amazing company to work for. The professionalism but also family feel within the company is great. Doctor's Ambulance has a contract for OCFA and Laguna Beach Fire for South Orange County that extends from Tustin to San Clemente with the exception of Mission Viejo. After Hiring, Orientation, and training you are put onto a 911 car that can also run IFT's occasionally. They seem to pretty much be always hiring every month or two. How the hiring process works:

Application: Go to their website, submit application and then either attach or personally turn in all your required certs and/or paperwork.

They will call you back and then give you a testing date. Test is 60 questions long and you are only able to miss 10. The test usually changes from class to class but you can expect anything EMT-B related and general workplace and interpersonal skills questions.

Pass the test then get called back for an interview.

Pass the interview and you will get a hiring date and a orientation date.

Congrats, you are hired and now begin your three month probation.

A few other questions that I have seen in this thread. Yes Doctor's pays for the full 24 hour shift. Yes you can get overtime, very easily I might add. If you are full time you are required to work 48 hours in a week (that is two 24 hour shifts) and can pick up as much overtime as you want or can handle. If you wanted to you could work 96 to over 120 hours a week, eat your heart out kid. How the shifts work is it is divided into three A, B, and C shifts. A shift is Monday/Tuesday (48 hour), B shift is Wednesday and Friday, C shift is Thursday to Sunday. Saturday is divided on the shifts and you are given it once every three weeks depending on the shift cycle.

The experience from this company alone is invaluable. You are working with fire every day in both an EMT attendant and driver position. They realize that most EMT's are not in it for the long haul here and fully encourage you to progress and seek a career in the fire department. Doctor's Ambulance in my opinion is a top notch and amazing company to work for. They were recently bought by AMR however but have changed very little so you get a family feeling oriented company with the backing of a major EMS provider. Hopefully that answers the majority of questions for Doctor's, I might pop in from time to time and see if their are any more that I did not address. Good luck!

This makes me super excited for orientation and beyond. Thanks!

joegrizzly

Forum Crew Member
nice post.

Where can I get the above at? I'm a bit confused on that part. I don't want to show up there without that. I have everything else tho'.

Current ORANGE COUNTY Medical Transportation Providers License -or- EMT ACCREDITATION card

Your EMT accreditation card is your county license. So I have my EMT state card, and then my EMT county accreditation card. I have no idea what a Transportation Providers License is or if they are the same difference. Can anyone chime in on that?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Current ORANGE COUNTY Medical Transportation Providers License -or- EMT ACCREDITATION card

Your EMT accreditation card is your county license. So I have my EMT state card, and then my EMT county accreditation card. I have no idea what a Transportation Providers License is or if they are the same difference. Can anyone chime in on that?

Prior to the current accreditation system (back when the county's issued licenses and there wasn't expanded scope courses in OC), OC required an "OC Ambulance Attendant License" license in addition to any county's EMT license in order to work on an ambulance in OC. Over the transition period (2011-2012 IIRC), it was acceptable to have either one or the other to work so that people had enough time to go through an accreditation course.

joegrizzly

Forum Crew Member
Prior to the current accreditation system (back when the county's issued licenses and there wasn't expanded scope courses in OC), OC required an "OC Ambulance Attendant License" license in addition to any county's EMT license in order to work on an ambulance in OC. Over the transition period (2011-2012 IIRC), it was acceptable to have either one or the other to work so that people had enough time to go through an accreditation course.

That makes more sense now, thank you for the response.

Always BSI

Forum Lieutenant
So wait I can just show up with my EMT state card and get that accreditation card later?

joegrizzly

Forum Crew Member
No, you will need them both, along with photocopies of anything and everything stated on their website for an application for employment.

JPINFV

Gadfly
So wait I can just show up with my EMT state card and get that accreditation card later?

If you did your EMT course in OC then you've completed the class. Besides that you need the accreditation card before you start working. I think some companies include the orientation course as part of the company orientation, so you need to contact them and ask.

joegrizzly

Forum Crew Member
All of their cars are considered "in house" and have a designated station, however when coverage gets low or a certain area gets busy, you will post to other locations to help cover the area. So yes at some point you will be sitting in a parking lot, however it will only be for a little while rather then your whole shift.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
It's not a bad thing that Doctors is owned by a company that was ousted in Orange County?

No it's not. AMR is a large, national corporation w/ deep pockets. Having that at your back is a good thing

What happened with AMR in Orange County?

JPINFV

Gadfly
What happened with AMR in Orange County?

AMR was pretty much already pushed out of OC when I worked in So. Cal, but it was during that time that they lost a lot of their LA contracts. Basically the local companies took over.

james88

Forum Probie
I know this is an old thread but I figured I'd save some bandwidth.
I have an interview with Doctor's on Tuesday. I didn't think to ask if there was a skills portion as part of the interview or not, does anyone know? I feel kind of rusty running transfers for the past few months and would like to know what to expect so I can brush up on my skills a bit.