Do you think van ambulance's should be outlawed ?

Do you think van ambulances should be outlawed ?

• Yea}(Yes)

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Nay}(No)

Votes: 50 86.2%

• Total voters

eynonqrs

Forum Lieutenant
I would like to ask everyone's opinion. Do you think van ambulances should be outlawed ? I feel they are only a glorified version of the caddy ambulances from the early days. No room, too top heavy, no good in winter weather. What do y'all think ?

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Any evidence to back up any of your claims or are we supposed to just take your word on this stuff?

OP
OP
E

eynonqrs

Forum Lieutenant
From my personal experience.

1) Van vs mod in winter weather. Drove mods in blizzard conditions no roads plowed, no chains, did not get stuck once. Vans stranded all over the place.

2) Critical care transports, RN on board, pumps, equipment. No room for anything.

3) High winds: I've got blown into other lanes on a two lane highway with out turning the wheel.

4) Reaching over a pt if you need supplies when transporting.

5) Limited space for equipment.

emtashleyb

Forum Crew Member
In private ambulance? No we mainly run sprinter vans where I work they are designed to take the beating we put on them. I personally don't care for the ford type vans but I don't see a reason for them to be outlawed. The box unit we have is top heavy actually I don't think I've been in a unit that isn't top heavy.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
High winds: I've got blown into other lanes on a two lane highway with out turning the wheel.
1) Van vs mod in winter weather. Drove mods in blizzard conditions no roads plowed, no chains, did not get stuck once. Vans stranded all over the place.
I've had the same things happen in both of the other types of ambulances. Granted, I know it's not something most EMS personnel expect when facing such a request, but when I say "evidence", it's a request for more than "in my experience" because statistically n=1 is worthless.

Since when do you not have to reach across the patient in a box?

Critical care transports, RN on board, pumps, equipment. No room for anything.

You in the mood to outlaw most aeromedical helicopters and a large number of fixed-wing air ambulances as well?

Granted, I do have a preference for box type ambulances, but you're on shaky ground to have them "outlawed".

Last edited by a moderator:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I have worked in boxes (both standard and medium duty) and vans.. I prefer vans. Easier to drive, easier to maneuver in urban environments, can stay strapped in even while dealing with a critical patient. Plenty of room if you know how to place things so they stay out of your way.

EDIT: And I picked up fixed wing flight crews from the airport all the time to take them to hospitals and never ran into a problem of having no room (2-3 member flight team + their equipment + me + patient + standard ambulance gear (all buses stocked as ALS level)) in the back

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
And I picked up fixed wing flight crews from the airport all the time to take them to hospitals and never ran into a problem of having no room (2-3 member flight team + their equipment + me + patient + standard ambulance gear (all buses stocked as ALS level)) in the back

I think it has to do with what you were originally trained in and have spent most of your time working in. If you start out on a box ambulance and "downgrade" then you're going to feel like you're working in a phone booth. It's the same as how EMS personnel who go into the hospital setting don't complain as much when working a code in a hospital room because once you've been one of 5 people to code someone in a very small bathroom, nothing seems quite so bad.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
I would like to ask everyone's opinion. Do you think van ambulances should be outlawed ? I feel they are only a glorified version of the caddy ambulances from the early days. No room, too top heavy, no good in winter weather. What do y'all think ?

Oh gosh no! If you've ever worked in an area where there are multiple lakes, the vans are preferred over bulky trucks, because of all the narrow winding roads. Besides, I'm 5'3. I can stand up and move in any unit :)

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
i say nay...

as an attendant i prefer the Mods(box) Ambulances
as a Driver i prefer the Vans

usalsfyre

You have my stapler

I've seen a 4x4 type I box stuck. Just make sure you don't take it where it shouldn't go.

2) Critical care transports, RN on board, pumps, equipment. No room for anything.

I've done these. It's mainly about design and thinking through where to locate things.

3) High winds: I've got blown into other lanes on a two lane highway with out turning the wheel.

The worst I've ever been blown around was in a medium duty.

Not sure why this is a problem.

Again it's about design, not to mention most ambulances carry too much $h!t anyway.

Once you've tried to do EMS in a small helicopter, even a van seems cavernous. Mostly it's about proper design and being careful.

DarkStarr

Forum Lieutenant
yes

mrlulz.jpg

that said, i also have a picture of our box type (the above is a different service provider in the area) stuck in a rut due to a nasty freak blizzard. our new box is a 4x4 road rescue though, so hopefully thatll do the trick :)

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
This. It sucks trying to get around in Tue downtown areas with vans, its near impossible to do with the boxes.

Yeah, nursing facilities in Detroit. Parking is always such fun, fun, fun too.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Outlaw? No. But I hate the damn things.

Straddling the patient to try and start and IV on their right side is not fun, especially when in motion.

I'm spoiled now though... I have a med duty truck with 14ft box.

thegreypilgrim

Forum Asst. Chief
I don't know about outlaw, but I absolutely despise the things and would rather we just get rid of them by professional standardization. Mods or bigger is the way to go, IMO. Boston EMS (as in many other ways) got it right:

Boston_EMS_Ambulance_6.jpg

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
All Boston EMS got was the worlds ugliest ambulance, with that huge black bumper, the visible siren housing, and a tacky paint job. I'd have to be unconscious to let you transport me in one of those things...

thegreypilgrim

Forum Asst. Chief
It may not be the prettiest thing, but it's designed correctly.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Our medic 1 is like that. I hate working in the damn thing and I hate driving it. Give me a van and I'd be happy.

EDIT: Our unit Medic 1 (medic 2 is a IH medium, Medic 3 is a Chevy Type II, Medic 4 is an old Ford E350 box which is our backup)

IMAG0179.jpg

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
All Boston EMS got was the worlds ugliest ambulance, with that huge black bumper, the visible siren housing, and a tacky paint job. I'd have to be unconscious to let you transport me in one of those things...

I totally disagree. I think these things look like tanks, not ugly at all.