Do you think it is good practice to draw bloods in the field?

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Does anyone have any concern about the ethics of DUI blood draws? Especially non-consensual ones?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Does anyone have any concern about the ethics of DUI blood draws? Especially non-consensual ones?

Nope. Every one I've seen has been well documented and used for the express purpose of proving the presence of an intoxicant. If a police officer pulls a suspect that they presume to have AOB and they refuse a breathalyzer and a field sobriety test, they get a blood draw. No ethics question for me at all.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
No. State Law is pretty clear cut. Refuse a breathalyzer and you lose your license a year and get a blood draw anyway.

Our officers are very good with probable cause and I trust their judgement. Its usually pretty obvious though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

SpecialK

Forum Captain
It'd be ace to see blood for culture being taken prior to administration of antibiotics however currently low patient numbers and lack of a practical solution for exchange of bottles before they expire is prohibitive, hence why the restriction on not administering them (except in meningococcal septicaemia) if less than 30 minutes from hospital.

Evidentiary blood is not something ambulance personnel have the legal authority to obtain nor would I want it to be. If the police want it they can sort it out themselves.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
We will not do non-consensual blood draws. You can refuse either a breathalyzer or voluntary sample. If you refuse both you get an automatic 1 year license administrative license suspension.

I have no ethical dilemma with doing what the patient consents to.

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
We will not do non-consensual blood draws. You can refuse either a breathalyzer or voluntary sample. If you refuse both you get an automatic 1 year license administrative license suspension.

I have no ethical dilemma with doing what the patient consents to.

Same here.