Do you puke on a call?

aussieemt1980

Forum Lieutenant
I have puked on a job once - it was a body recovery from a motor vehicle accident. Around 200 km/h into a telegraph pole, no brakes, no seat belt.

Made a mess of the car and the occupant, and he did not eject through the windshield - the steering wheel caught him on the way forward and tore the abdo open.

It was my first rescue job, I was about 21 - 22 and never went over the speed limit again.

I reckon I will puke again - I cannot stand the smell of human faeces, and I am training in a job where I have to deal with it (nurse)!

FF894

Forum Captain
This wasn't me, but a new EMT on his very first call. MVC on a stretch of rural road where the speed limit is 45mph and everyone does at least 50 or more. There is an industrial park entrance around a bend in the road. Well, a SUV came around the corner just as a TT unit was pulling out and nailed the trailer pretty good, wedged underneath. When the ambulance arrived the plan was for the new EMT to get his feet wet and take the lead with the senior EMT right behind him. When they pulled the car back the trailer had basically decapitated the occupant and did some decent thoracic trauma. Newbie puked up breakfast right there in the street. Welcome to EMS.

On one agency I worked with, we worked with 3 providers to 2 in the back. One partner I had- I knew if the patient even hinted they were going to puke or smelled of puke I needed to hand one basin to the patient and one to my partner. He was a sympathetic puker 100% of the time.

danguitar12345

Forum Probie
Answer

dont!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I you like your going to DONT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FF2CFR

Forum Ride Along
Gagged many times, but have never actually puked. I can stand the sight of anything, blood, intestines, brains, all that. But ANY smell at all will get to me, even the smell of my dogs...constitutionals.

Second

Forum Lieutenant
I guess I'm lucky puke and faecas dont bother me

ClarkEMS

Forum Probie
I was just thinking about this recently...what would I do if I came across a truly nasty call, but so far so good, I have been able to handle a lot of blood so I guess that counts for something, we'll just have to see when I get on an ambulance whether things will be different, though I hope not!:rolleyes:

Sasha

Forum Chief
I had a near puke experience the last day I worked, though it wasn't due to the call but due to the fact the person I was partnered with was such a bad driver that I was getting really really car sick!