Do you guys bring backpacks?

EMTJosh9

Forum Probie
Just wondering if you guys bring backpacks with all the essentials you would need like , drinks , snacks , phone charger , pillow , etc etc etc? I was thinking of bringing one for a 12 hour shift was just wondering what everyone else does? do you only use it for 24s? or whenever you work? what do u bring inside of it ?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Whenever I work I have my backpack with me. I keep everything from batteries to flashlights, to 100' feet of paracord in it. I usually also have a book in it.

Worst case scenario I can empty the backpack and load it with medical supplies if we need to hike in to a call.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Whenever I work I have my backpack with me.

This. I keep the "essentials" with me phone charger, travel pillow, some sugary snacks (getting more and more BGL drops lately), reading material, a tablet (when I get one). Theres more I keep/ take in it but it varies from shift to shift.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
When I worked private company(s) with 10-12 hour shifts all posting I carried a small little duffel bag that held pretty much the aforementioned items (Kindle Fire table, charging cables for the tablet and my phone, a book or two, any study material for upcoming fire tests, snacks/lunch/dinner, travel pillow). Now that I work for an FD and am 100% station based, my bag mostly just carries my PT gear (extra T-shirt, shorts, white socks, running shoes), towel and toiletries kit to shower afterwards, plus some shoe shine polish, pillow and blanket for 24 hour shifts and a few other small odds and ends.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
I work 48's and I carry a duffel bag for bedding, pillow, 2 spare sets of uniforms, shower/hygiene stuff, my tablet, and necessities for shift ( pens, shears, stethoscope etc). I also bring snacks because sometimes I don't have time to eat.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Do you have quarters where you can (permanently or at least semi-permanently) stash your gear? If so don't worry about it, just leave whatever you feel is neccasary there. This of course assumes that during those 12 hours you can actually access your gear whenever you want...

If not, bring a spare uniform (including something for if the weather changes; light/heavy jacket, raincoat, sweater, whatever), food, water, spare pens, and something to keep yourself occupied during any downtime that you may have. If you bring any electronics make sure you have spare batteries/a charger.

Barring very specific circumstances related to your specific location/responsibilities, that's all you need.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
**** never trust a locker.

Your co-workers WILL find a way to break into it and your stuff WILL be messed with.

I learned this when I worked a shift with "junior paramedic" stickers on the back of my company jacket.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah...I guess I should have specified that you need to work for a halfway decent department...:rolleyes:

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
decent department?

I have yet to meet any department or company who doesn't play around with each other.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
When i worked a rotating 48 i had a lockable footlocker with my bedding and spare uniforms and gear. My backpack had my textbooks and laptop and chargers plus my scope and snacks. I have carried a 5.11 Rush 24 with gear for the past 4 years or so

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
No backpack. I enjoy going to into 7-11 or Safeway (grocery store) to buy snacks while on shift. :)

Bosco836

Forum Lieutenant
I carry a backpack that I keep at our office with my laptop, phone charger, etc. In our vehicle, I keep a duty bag which mainly stores PPE (i.e. helmet, vest, extrication gloves) in addition to a bottle of gatorade, some sunscreen, and perhaps one or two small snacks.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
decent department?

I have yet to meet any department or company who doesn't play around with each other.
Messing around with people is great; nothing wrong with that. But if personal gear is getting screwed with to the point that it's disappearing/being broken then there's a problem.

(excluding small things like toothpaste, shaving cream and such)

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
Messing around with people is great; nothing wrong with that. But if personal gear is getting screwed with to the point that it's disappearing/being broken then there's a problem.

(excluding small things like toothpaste, shaving cream and such)
I'm pretty sure I said they put stickers on my coat.

That's a far cry from my belongings being damaged or stolen.

But I get what you mean.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Yeah i have my Meret backpack, has my laptop, chargers, extra flashlight and batteries for everything, state key ring, and some other odds and ends. Comes with me to any place i work.

I also have an old polish army ruck sack in my trunk with a complete uniform including boots for each job