`Do not resuscitate'

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
I know this is a news article, but I'd really like some input into this one!
Hence the reason I put it here. (No doubt the CL will move it if need be:)!)

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/4789568a20475.html

I know it has been talked about before, but I've never come across this sort of idea and wondered about the code of ethic's and patient right's.
When a person is going to these length's, to make clear their wishes not to be resuscitated!
It sort of stops the fight with the family about..."They said they wanted to die!'"and you are wanting the written proof, when it's there in black, red and purple for all to see.

What would you do if you ripped open a patient's top at a cardac arrest and saw that tattooed on their chest?

Cheers Enjoynz

reaper

Working Bum
Nothing,

Here in most states you must have an original State approved DNR form. Tattoos don't count.

All though it would be funny to find one!

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
I know this is a news article, but I'd really like some input into this one!
Hence the reason I put it here. (No doubt the CL will move it if need be:)!)

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/4789568a20475.html

I know it has been talked about before, but I've never come across this sort of idea and wondered about the code of ethic's and patient right's.
When a person is going to these length's, to make clear their wishes not to be resuscitated!
It sort of stops the fight with the family about..."They said they wanted to die!'"and you are wanting the written proof, when it's there in black, red and purple for all to see.

What would you do if you ripped open a patient's top at a cardac arrest and saw that tattooed on their chest?

Cheers Enjoynz

Not sure about the laws down under and not too sure here stateside, either. But I believe to have a DNR order valid, you'd need to have your signature, your physician's signature, the signature of one or two witnesses, and dated.

Now where you have it written is up to you: on paper, etched in stone, tatooed across your forehead.

OP
OP
enjoynz

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=8026

http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?p=53063

Basically my thoughts about it is it's invalid because it lacks any ability for the patient to revoke the DNR. Paperwork can be destroyed easily and DNR bracelets can be removed quicky, Neither can be said about DNRs.

Oops..maybe I should have done a search for the topic first...sorry about that. I didn't think it was that common.

Looks like our news is hitting the US TV too...
bstone has done a post about the same lady in the EMS news threads..lol...maybe I should have put this post there.

By the way...laws can and should be changed if there are enough people willing to get it signed off. I don't know of people here that wear a bracket for 'Do Not Rescus'. Guess that would help.
A tattoo would be a very quick indication of the patients wishes though!

Cheers Enjoynz

Dobo

Forum Lieutenant
I don't know about south of the border or down under, but I know here in Ontario from experience that a verbal request from next of kin is sufficient at least that is what happened to me in the Spring. My Grandmother was very ill with a blood infection and was unconscious and the doctors told us to "call in the family" meaning she wasn't going to make it through the night. And I had a DNR put on her simply by verbal communication with the Physician.

Just for the record, she's a feisty old broad and managed to fight through it. :)

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
There was an RN in Oregon who got a tat of DNR over her heart some years back.It would make me look harder for a P.O.L.S.T. but without the written orders, my protocols state I have to procede with CPR.

BEorP

Forum Captain
I don't know about south of the border or down under, but I know here in Ontario from experience that a verbal request from next of kin is sufficient...

In the prehospital setting in Ontario, a verbal DNR is not sufficient. Only the proper provincial forms can be accepted. In the case where a family does not want a resuscitation attempt, an Advanced Care Paramedic would most likely call base hospital for a pronouncement immediately. A Primary Care Paramedic would be left with few options other than a full resuscitation attempt.

Dobo

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah I wasn't thinking pre-hospital, things are a bit different when you are in that situation. I just remembered putting the DNR on my grandmother and being surprised that the doc did it on verbal instructions only, I figured I would have to go through a lot of red tape to cover his ***.

Robby1974

Forum Crew Member

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
The other night, I worked on a former partner of mine;that had written DNR on both forearms and as well left a note taped to his chest stating such. He had O.D. and became unresponsive. I did what I would normally do... worked him.

R/r 911