Diversity Month???

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Gimme a Break!! People need more to do.

Throughout the year, there are a wide range of admirable diversity observances that acknowledge the contributions and unique traditions of certain segments of the population - African Americans, Hispanics, Asians, Native Americans, women, gays and lesbians, and those who are disabled, among others. Until now, there has been no designated time to celebrate the wide range of diversity that not only recognizes certain groups, but goes beyond and reaches out to everyone...because we are all unique.

Celebrate Diversity Month (August 15 through September 15), a proposed national observance, celebrates ALL the diversity that exists within our workplaces, schools, and communities. As our communities evolve, and we continue to better understand the unique needs that come with these changes to our patients, employees, physicians and business partners, think about the six key tenets of Celebrate Diversity Month and what they mean to you:

Dedicate time to learning about the diversity surrounding you.
Appreciate our differences and similarities by exploring cultural celebrations and significant life events of others.
Build connections with those you don't usually get the opportunity to know.
Include everyone. Each of us represents unique dimensions of diversity. Our uniqueness is our difference.
Recognize that one person does not represent an entire group - great variation exists within all groups.
Realize that we each have the power to create a better world by reaching out across differences one person at a time.
By recognizing and embracing diversity, we will gain a deeper understanding of each other and develop a greater sense of connection.

For more information on Celebrate Diversity Month, visit the Celebrate Diversity Month website

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
:rolleyes:

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
I say all the blonde haired, blue eyed girls of the world unite and make "non diversity month"!

Cap'nPanic

Forum Lieutenant
I have question or two - -

If there is a black history month, why isnt there a white history month?

If there are Tony Awards (Latino), Latin Grammy Awards, and Black Entertainment Awards, why isnt there a Caucasian Awards??

If 56% of the students at the local highschool are hispanic, why are they still considered the student minority group??

If there are special rights reserved for blacks and hispanics, what special rights do whites have??

Just a few thoughts, we think we've come a long way when we've merely made baby steps.

-Cap'nPanic

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Originally posted by Cap'nPanic@Aug 23 2005, 10:45 AM

If there are Tony Awards (Latino), Latin Grammy Awards, and Black Entertainment Awards, why isnt there a Caucasian Awards??

If 56% of the students at the local highschool are hispanic, why are they still considered the student minority group??

If there are special rights reserved for blacks and hispanics, what special rights do whites have??

Just a few thoughts, we think we've come a long way when we've merely made baby steps.

-Cap'nPanic
I'm with you on all of those, I don't want to get to into it because I don't want to piss people off and start a big thing, but I will say while I'm absolutely not prejudiced, the caucasian race is becoming the minority.

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by Wingnut+Aug 23 2005, 11:15 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Wingnut @ Aug 23 2005, 11:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Cap'nPanic@Aug 23 2005, 10:45 AM

-Cap'nPanic
I'm with you on all of those, I don't want to get to into it because I don't want to piss people off and start a big thing, but I will say while I'm absolutely not prejudiced, the caucasian race is becoming the minority. [/b][/quote]
AMEN... At my high school, I was the minority (white)... but we were never refered to as the minority... funny how that works. But now in Texas... White are quickly being outnumbered by hispanics, and blacks. In the town I live in now, I dont think there are ANY blacks or hispanic within a 10 mile radius of me. SERIOUSLY... But to find that, you have to move out into the middle of nowhere.... for instance... anyone ever heard of Edgewood, Grand Saline, Emory, or Fruitvale Texas? Well Im in the middle of them all

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Aug 23 2005, 08:05 AM
I say all the blonde haired, blue eyed girls of the world unite and make "non diversity month"!
no... that would be "Nordic History" month :lol:

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
I was having a chat with my mom in law today, we decided we are going to have a Caucasion-American, heterosexual, employed pride parade. :D

Luno

OG
Premium Member
Anytime that you give someone something, it depreciates it in value. Give it to them long enough, and not only is it taken for granted, but they feel as if they're entitled to it. While affirmative action was a good step, it wasn't given clearly defined goals, and has become a good idea that becomes a terrible practice. I'm probably misquoting, but "the road to hell is paved with good intentions." I feel that everyone should have a strong sense of identity, however, not at the expense of everyone else.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
AMR has some sort of "Celebrate Diversity Day" or something similar..... it is so that they have an excuse to give off for MLK's birthday (I think)...

Jon

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by EMTPrincess@Aug 21 2005, 09:02 AM
Celebrate Diversity Month (August 15 through September 15)
Gee..... isn't a month the 1st to the 30th (31st, 28th, 29th :p )????

Shouldn't it be "31 days celebrating diversity???"

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon+Aug 27 2005, 04:06 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MedicStudentJon @ Aug 27 2005, 04:06 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-EMTPrincess@Aug 21 2005, 09:02 AM
Celebrate Diversity Month (August 15 through September 15)
Gee..... isn't a month the 1st to the 30th (31st, 28th, 29th :p )????

Shouldn't it be "31 days celebrating diversity???" [/b][/quote]
Diversity month means you don't have to celebrate traditional calendar months

rescuejew

Forum Lieutenant
What a crock!!!!! I AM a monority and I mean to say that I am not "white" by definition, though I am pretty pasty by comparison...

Diversity month?? Are you kidding me?? How about we have ethnic intolerance month...that way people can say whats REALLY on their minds without fear of repercussion. I mean come on, what tree-hugger designed this? He would be the one that goes into the grocery store, skipping and thinking of rainbows and bunnies and hears footsteps behind him that belong to some very large 7ft tall 400lb back guy wearing FUBU and drving a BENZ with old school TUPAC blaring from the amped-up speakers, and this liberal will not say anything to this "menace" but he will THINK about the fact that this large black man scares the hell out of him....all the while proposing unity between the races. Its not unity unless you think it AND feel it.

And what kills me are the people that try to "act black" by adopting sayings like: "what-up Dawg?!" that come out like Bryant Gumbel making an attempt at being ethnic. You dont see anybody trying to adopt Jewish slang..."Oy Vey, you'll give your poor mother a heart attack." (dont forget your strong NY accent when imitating this one)

Black people that define themselves as African-Americans when they are 4th generation "Africans" and have no idea what country their family originated from. Call Oprah, she can help. Then these people attack white people and DEMAND money for enslaving thier relatives 200+ years ago. ENOUGH ALREADY. Does this mean in 200+ years I can be renicarnated and come back and demand money because some of my family was killed in the Holocaust 60 years ago? Give me a break. the statute of limitations has to have run out by now...

We cry for unity, demand diversity and we cant even let some petty BS go. Yeah the Holocaust was really bad, and sure we will enact measures to ensure it never happens again, but I dont cringe every time I see some German walking around. Who knows what the solution is, but it just seems like "Diversity Month" is just a bandaid for a much bigger booboo. I'd love to see the pride parade for that one, how many people do you think would start and continue an argument over who was the more persecuted race?? I'll sit on my couch and watch it on my TV....