Different Locations Different Wages

RanchoEMT

Forum Lieutenant
--EMT Basics--
in San Bernardino County EMTs start at about $10/hr. Taking into consideration that EMTs make overtime(1.5) after 8hr... That Roughly equates to
Gross: $24,000yr.
Net: $19,000yr. or $1,600 a month....

--Paramedics--
in San Bernardino County Paramedics start at $14/hr. This is sourced from a recently hired medic... Taking into consideration that medics make overtime(1.5) after 8hr... That Roughly equates to
Gross$33,600yr..
Net: $26,000yr. or $2,100 a month....

Just wondering... How much More/Less do other locations including outside the states, pay???

colafdp

Forum Lieutenant
Well here in Saskatchewan, Canada

EMT/Primary Care Paramedic
Start at 21.61 per hour and top out at 26.44/hr

EMT-Advanced/Intermediate Care Paramedic
Start at 23.34 per hour and top out at 28.55/hr

EMT-P/Advanced Care Paramedic
Start at 25.21 and top out at 30.83

On Call is 4.12/hr

I work a 4 on, 4 off rotation right now. 8 Hour shifts, with the remainder of the day on call, last year I grossed about $85,000

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Be careful about counting your overtimes before they are paid.

There's a deal in California where you are not owed OT if they keep your hours under the full-time hours shceduled for a noirmal pay period. E.G., I work you three 12 hour shifts (36 hrs), you come in for four hours on the fourth day and I send you home after that and for the rest of your forty hour pay period.

Also, working a double often (allegedly) has a half hour break or something between shifts, but the employer will work you through it (due to convenience) then not pay you for that break period because you "voluntarily" worked it.
FONT]

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Crap...my base is just over 40k and I'm in the middle of nowhere East Texas working for an eeeeevvvvviiiillll private...

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
This thread doesn't tell you much without comparing the cost of living (and adjusting currency for international locations).

OP
OP
RanchoEMT

RanchoEMT

Forum Lieutenant
This thread doesn't tell you much without comparing the cost of living (and adjusting currency for international locations).

That's true... Let me Clarify. I make SHlT, I rent a room in california, and at the end of the month I have about $400 left over before gas, hobbies, unexpected bills, etc.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
There's a deal in California where you are not owed OT if they keep your hours under the full-time hours shceduled for a noirmal pay period. E.G., I work you three 12 hour shifts (36 hrs), you come in for four hours on the fourth day and I send you home after that and for the rest of your forty hour pay period.

Also, working a double often (allegedly) has a half hour break or something between shifts, but the employer will work you through it (due to convenience) then not pay you for that break period because you "voluntarily" worked it.
FONT]

That's one of the good things about my area. I get 8 hours of normal pay and then 4 hours of OT for any 12 hour shift. Anything over 12 hours in the same day is DT with all hours included. I can work only 1 shift a week and I would still get 4 hours of OT.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Gross salary for a full time EMT is about $36,570 at my agency. that doesn't include night differential or any extra overtime. medics make about $44,000.

our EMTs make one of the highest base salaries in the state for BLS providers

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
rates here in SF are highly polarized whether you are municipal or private EMS...

also tons of fringe benes for muni jobs...

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
In TX as an EMT-I for the lowest paid third service in the area I made 14.50/hr base pay. Here in NM as an EMT-I for a private I make 10/hr.

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm at the lower end of the scale for paramedics here, my gross annual salary without overtime is only US$90850. It'll get better next year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
Sunstar Paramedics (Pinellas, Florida) published hourly rates:

Position Experience Hourly Rate National Registry
Hourly Rate
Paramedic Less than 1 year $14.00 $14.70
Paramedic 1 to 5 years experience $14.70 $15.43
Paramedic 5+ years experience $15.40 $16.17
EMT Less than 1 year $10.00 $10.50
EMT 1 to 5 years experience $10.50 $11.02
EMT 5+ years experience $11.00 $11.55

Aussie_Medic_Girl

Forum Probie
As an Advanced Care Paramedic (roughly EMT-I in US) in QLD I make $27/hr. All OT on RDOs and weekends is paid at double time. OT as a shift extension is time and a half for the first 3 hrs then double time. We also get paid an allowance if we start a meal but then are called to a job before our meal window finishes (30 min). This allowance is roughly around $10.50. We also get paid extra if we miss our meal window (can't remember this pay as I never miss mine!). We also get weekend penalties which (i'm pretty sure) is time and a half on a saturday and double time on a sunday. I believe night shift penalties are 15% (but do not apply on weekends).

I can't believe how poorly you guys get paid over there.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
As an Advanced Care Paramedic (roughly EMT-I in US) in QLD I make $27/hr. All OT on RDOs and weekends is paid at double time. OT as a shift extension is time and a half for the first 3 hrs then double time. We also get paid an allowance if we start a meal but then are called to a job before our meal window finishes (30 min). This allowance is roughly around $10.50. We also get paid extra if we miss our meal window (can't remember this pay as I never miss mine!). We also get weekend penalties which (i'm pretty sure) is time and a half on a saturday and double time on a sunday. I believe night shift penalties are 15% (but do not apply on weekends).

I can't believe how poorly you guys get paid over there.

So you guys don't have rolled in rate, just a base & penalties? Do you have any troubles filling weekend and night shifts?

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
At my equally "eeeeevvvvviiiillll private" EMTs start out at $13.20 and Paramedics at $16.75. Once you've hit your 40th hour everything is OT.

Aussie_Medic_Girl

Forum Probie
So you guys don't have rolled in rate, just a base & penalties? Do you have any troubles filling weekend and night shifts?

You can chose to be on a rolled up rate which includes your shift penalties but not your meal overtime, missed meal, etc. Or you can choose to remain on a base rate plus be paid the penalties you work. I'm personally not on a rolled up rate but thought I was because my pay's always around the same unless I do OT.

If you don't mind me asking what are you're pay conditions like down south???

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
You can chose to be on a rolled up rate which includes your shift penalties but not your meal overtime, missed meal, etc. Or you can choose to remain on a base rate plus be paid the penalties you work. I'm personally not on a rolled up rate but thought I was because my pay's always around the same unless I do OT.

If you don't mind me asking what are you're pay conditions like down south???

Its interesting that you have the choice. So if you decide you're happy to work weekends/nights all the time, you could move off the rolled in rate and end up making more. I like that.

I still have trouble understanding the entire award, but its looks to be pretty similar to yours, from what you've said.

To the best of my knowledge:

$27/h for a student, $32/h fully qualified first year and it raises incrementally with experience. 30 minute meal break. Two meal breaks on a night shift. Penalties for broken & late or no meals ('no meals' bring in some pretty sweet coin, if you can get your food in, then get a 'broken' just after you've eaten then a no meal for the rest of the shift, you are in the money). Time and a half on shift extension, double time for >2 hours shift extension. If you're late for a meal, you'll get put on life threat cases only, and then if you still haven't had you're meal break after another hour (I think), then you'll only get cardiac arrests until you've had your meal break.

On call is a different story. The money you can make at on call branches is amazing. I've heard of people bringing in upwards of $120,000.

Aussie_Medic_Girl

Forum Probie
Its interesting that you have the choice. So if you decide you're happy to work weekends/nights all the time, you could move off the rolled in rate and end up making more. I like that.

I still have trouble understanding the entire award, but its looks to be pretty similar to yours, from what you've said.

To the best of my knowledge:

$27/h for a student, $32/h fully qualified first year and it raises incrementally with experience. 30 minute meal break. Two meal breaks on a night shift. Penalties for broken & late or no meals ('no meals' bring in some pretty sweet coin, if you can get your food in, then get a 'broken' just after you've eaten then a no meal for the rest of the shift, you are in the money). Time and a half on shift extension, double time for >2 hours shift extension. If you're late for a meal, you'll get put on life threat cases only, and then if you still haven't had you're meal break after another hour (I think), then you'll only get cardiac arrests until you've had your meal break.

On call is a different story. The money you can make at on call branches is amazing. I've heard of people bringing in upwards of $120,000.

You can't actually choose to work all weekends/nights but yes your theory would work if it was possible. Do you guys get much chance at OT shifts? And if so what rate are they at. Also, do you get shift penalties or are yours rolled in rates???

TxParamedic

Forum Crew Member
Tx

Central Tx hospital based rural service.

EMT-P 15.50hr + .25 over 5 yr exp, + .25 10 yr exp
EMT-I 12.00 same exp as above
EMT 10.00 Same as above

PRN diff

EMT-P 3.00 hr
EMT-I 2.50 hr
EMT 2.00 hr

24 on 48 off anything over 40 hrs OT.
Call every other weekday shift
100.00 day for call any time called in is overtime.
We put on a PRN shift on weekends to keep people off call.

My weekend medics are making 18.50 (base + prn diff).