Did I botch Interview today?

drose

Forum Probie
Had an Interview today, I think I did fairly okay, I kept eye contact throughout the entire Interview and I answered questions open and honestly. Only thing I regret Is that I answered questions really fast and short, and for some the questions I kind of repeatedly used the same answers. I also found myself stumbling over my words because I'm very anti-social and I haven't been taking my anxiety pills for a while, and today was also my first Interview In general. Also I told the HR that I just moved to Chicago a few years ago and that I didn't really know how to get around that well In the city, will this be a problem?
Also she told me she'd give me a call sometime later this week, what does that generally mean? Does It mean I screwed up on the Interview and that she thinks there are other candidates out there that better than me, or Is this just a normal process?
Thanks In advance for all replies

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I'd say relax I'm sure you did fine...

In my expeience, most EMS applicants are god awful it doesn't take much to rise above.

If they are going to call you, I would say that is good over bad. Letting you walk out after saying "thanks for coming in have a nice day" is less promising.

Not knowing the area doesn't mean much... It's 2013 (almost) and 90% of people have a means of immediate navigation in their pocket...

OP
OP
drose

drose

Forum Probie
I'd say relax I'm sure you did fine...

In my expeience, most EMS applicants are god awful it doesn't take much to rise above.

If they are going to call you, I would say that is good over bad. Letting you walk out after saying "thanks for coming in have a nice day" is less promising.

Not knowing the area doesn't mean much... It's 2013 (almost) and 90% of people have a means of immediate navigation in their pocket...

Thanks man, your post makes me feel more at ease, I'm just ready to start working, It's been a long 6 months after getting my EMT license, tired of sitting around.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
GOing off your meds doesn't reinforce your positive image.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
First, congrats on the new job!

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but you shared some concerning information with us.

First, knowing you have an anxiety disorder, and knowing that interviews are one of the most anxiety provoking situations around, I can't imagine why you would go off your anxiety medication.

Second, maybe people don't do this anymore, but before I apply for a job I gather as much information as I can about the job requirements and work on honing my skills prior to the interview. Knowing that finding locations is an important part of EMS, I would think that you'd want to spend some time at least learning major geographic features and hospitals in the region.

Again, congratulations on landing the position! Either they were desperate for a new guy or you did much better in the interview than you originally thought.

Now that you have the job it's time to start taking your anxiety medication again and learning major streets and hospitals in the area. It's one thing to struggle with an interview, we've all been there, but patients deserve the best medical provider. Now it's time to work on becoming that professional.

Good luck!

OP
OP
drose

drose

Forum Probie
First, congrats on the new job!

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but you shared some concerning information with us.

First, knowing you have an anxiety disorder, and knowing that interviews are one of the most anxiety provoking situations around, I can't imagine why you would go off your anxiety medication.

Second, maybe people don't do this anymore, but before I apply for a job I gather as much information as I can about the job requirements and work on honing my skills prior to the interview. Knowing that finding locations is an important part of EMS, I would think that you'd want to spend some time at least learning major geographic features and hospitals in the region.

Again, congratulations on landing the position! Either they were desperate for a new guy or you did much better in the interview than you originally thought.

Now that you have the job it's time to start taking your anxiety medication again and learning major streets and hospitals in the area. It's one thing to struggle with an interview, we've all been there, but patients deserve the best medical provider. Now it's time to work on becoming that professional.

Good luck!

I stopped taking the meds because the side effects were just overwhelming.

And yes I do agree that patients deserve the best medical provider, I take this job very serious and I will repeatedly read my textbooks and protocols everyday to do so, even well beyond after I take my system entry and actually start working.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
...and talk to your doc about the side effects. Medical people are the WORST patients.
Well, sort of.....

hogwiley

Forum Captain
Ive never understood the point of getting nervous for an interview. Its not life or death. Worst case scenario you dont get hired, no biggie. If they ask something I dont know, then Ill either give it my best guess, or say I dont know.

Just make sure you look the person in the eye, be friendly, laugh at their jokes, and dont oversell yourself, as being hired into a position you arent qualified for WOULD make me nervous.

If there was any civilian benefit to my time in the Marines, it was standing for a thousand inspections and boards, many of them with one or more persons invading my personal space and doing their best to try to make me look stupid.

agarcia4918

Forum Ride Along
Hey man,

Congrats on the job! I am happy that you did receive it, but I was wondering if you can post the questions that they asked you and your answers. I am in the same boat that you were 6 months ago. I am wanting to go to school for an EMT next month and when the time comes I want to be prepared for the interview as much as possible.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Hey man,

Congrats on the job! I am happy that you did receive it, but I was wondering if you can post the questions that they asked you and your answers. I am in the same boat that you were 6 months ago. I am wanting to go to school for an EMT next month and when the time comes I want to be prepared for the interview as much as possible.

While these are not technically "test questions", we frown on posting any pre-employment or testing questions or answers on the forum. If you search for "interview questions" you'll find samples of the typical questions asked during an interview.

Good luck with EMT class.