Determining which type of EMT cert to get

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
I am getting my basic cert in a few weeks, and will end up in Albany/dutchess county. I want to continue my education in EMS to the next level, and was wondering how to find out which type of advanced emt those counties use. I have heard a critical care emt, i have heard intermediate and advanced. If anybody can describe the process or tell me how to find it(I will be more then glad to do the grunt work if told what to search). Thanks everybody!

OP
OP
NysEms2117

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
I already have a full time job working with NYDOCCS, and paramedic school means losing that job due to the fact my hours are not constant every day. However I am just fascinated by the EMS field(but like my job as a P.O too much now to leave).

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
So you are a hobbyist?

1. Fascination
2. Wants next level stuff but not the true next level
3. No desire to do it full time

If you are not a hobbyist, then the next level is paramedic. Do or die...

OP
OP
NysEms2117

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
I want to do the most I can, with what i'm provided. I went to college and have a 4 year degree in CJ, so I'm using that. I love my job, but I want to help more. I give all the credit in the world to paramedics, but i just don't have the time to become one. So AEMT or EMT-I or EMT-CC(i have no idea which one) is the highest(good) i can do**so i think, feel free to correct me if i am wrong** then thats my plan. To be completely frank I think i would burnout within a week of being a P.O and a paramedic(theoretically speaking i got my degree/cert).

Deacs2017

Forum Probie
The certification levels foe EMS have changed in recent years in increasing level of knowledge they are EMR (formerly first responder), EMT (formerly EMT-Basic), AEMT (formerly EMT-Intermediate), and EMT-P (stayed the same). In all honesty the change in names represents no change in the type of care provided. If you get your EMT, (formerly EMT-Basic), you should just become a paramedic next because the scope of practice for AEMT is not much different from the EMT scope for the time spent working to get the AEMT. It is likely in you best interest to go from EMT to EMT-P.

OP
OP
NysEms2117

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Im good with being an almost medic, i just have to try an understand the national state and county differences. I vote for 1 system, 1 standard :)

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
The certification levels foe EMS have changed in recent years in increasing level of knowledge they are EMR (formerly first responder), EMT (formerly EMT-Basic), AEMT (formerly EMT-Intermediate), and EMT-P (stayed the same). In all honesty the change in names represents no change in the type of care provided. If you get your EMT, (formerly EMT-Basic), you should just become a paramedic next because the scope of practice for AEMT is not much different from the EMT scope for the time spent working to get the AEMT. It is likely in you best interest to go from EMT to EMT-P.

The OP appears to be in New York State. Neither New York State, nor the National Registry seem to honor a certification entitled "EMT-P" (I'm not from New York State, but I can search and peruse their state's website).

New York (from what I gather on the BEMS website) has a certification level called "Paramedic", and the National Registry honors the similar certification level as "NRP" - "Nationally Registered Paramedic". The National Registry no longer recognizes the title "EMT-P". A few states still do, but most simply recognize that certification level as "Paramedic", in order to be better aligned with the national model.

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
Im good with being an almost medic, i just have to try an understand the national state and county differences. I vote for 1 system, 1 standard :)

I would just do medic school. A lot of states have so few AEMTs that many services around me just have an EMT protocol or a paramedic protocol, and the AEMTs end up being forced to do the job of EMTs, whereas they're actually closer to a medic. Many schools have quit teaching AEMT, as demand has dropped off, and "word on the street" is that the certification level of AEMT might just disappear altogether in 15-20 years. Might as well do paramedic school. AEMT school is still hard and expensive, and you don't really get that much out of being one.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
The NYS EMT-CC is a considered a full ALS provider but on average, students receive less than 400 total hours of instruction. This instruction is broken up into 175-225 classroom and practical laboratory hours, 50-75 clinical hours and 75-100 field internship hours, compared to the over 1000 hours for paramedic.

That's why it's an almost medic. You may learn HOW but will lack the education to understand WHY.

Last edited:

NUEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Can anyone not read that the guy just does not have the time to go to medic school?

Jeez. We all know the true next level (read AKflights post) but if the guy has no time to commit to the training then so be it. DO whatever next level you can get your hands on sir. Just remember that for the most part, any medic on scene is likely going to be running the call despite you having anything but PM. Also realize, that you may at some point grow tired of the limitations of the lower cert levels.

That said, I spent 6 years as an EMT and had a blast plugging into all of the special part-time opportunities I could.

OP
OP
NysEms2117

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
thank you NUEMT, I understand the way C.O.C works (its prevalent in LE), and to be honest I want a medic taking control over a scene. I just wanted to determine the differences if any between EMT-CC and AEMT and EMT-I, i have no issues reading through legislature i just cant find it. AND THANK YOU DEmedic. My ultimate goal was to be the best "helper" to medics i can be.

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
Maybe you could call local ambulance companies and ask what certifications they use/employ?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Yeah, we get the fact that he doesn't want to go to paramedic school. Most of us believe that taking the easy way out doesn't give you enough education to perform as an effective ALS provider. I don't know how to put it any plainer than that.

I mean, even most paramedic programs barely scratch the surface. Plugging someone in for a third of the education of a paramedic and then handing them most of the same skills and tools is just a bad idea.

If you want to play with advanced skills like endotracheal intubation and medication administration, get the education.

OP
OP
NysEms2117

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
again DEmedic Im not looking to "play with the big boys", i'm just trying to be a little more of use to a medic if they need me. I completely understand the fact that medics are and will be higher trained then me this is not my primary profession. I AM NOT TRYING TO REPLACE MEDICS or "pose" as one. I'm just trying to help a bit more then basics. Taking the easy way out is a little off because i've put my time elsewhere, and put my time in academies and such there with NYDOCCS

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
In ALL seriousness, with respect to your already obtained higher education and full time career...if someone wanted to be the "best helper" to me on a scene without actually being a medic, then all the needs I have or want are already within your scope and ability. I would not waste any more time on other schooling, that money could go elsewhere.

I need someone to carry things, to hand me things, and to drive with due regard. Someone who can take initial vital signs and realize the value in doing it proper the first time. Someone who knows how to prepare or apply the EKG, someone who can spike a bag and lay out the stuff I need. None of these things require you to get more education and would be VERY useful on scene. If I had someone who did all of this, it would make most calls very smooth.

Yes, I am serious.

OP
OP
NysEms2117

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
@akflightmedic even if agencies pay for higher ED? If the answer to that is still no.(also i understand the fact if they pay for aemt why wont they pay for medic, back to time issue) I will strive to be that person, for medics. I'm willing to not take it i just figured it be more helpful, but now that you have provided a "no" as well as a "why", I can be content with what my scope is as a basic. I thank all of you for your responses, please do not think I am trying to be difficult or condescending, just trying to understand what i need to do.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I answered as you posed it. You wanted to be the best helper possible to the medics on scene. In that scenario, my words are accurate. I do not need more people with skills...I need people competent in their "basic" skills and eager to assist any way possible with very low level yet very helpful tasks and not be insulted or feel inadequate because they are not doing the "cool stuff". I am not saying that is you, I am just saying its past observations.

If you acquire more skills yet I never allow you to use them and keep asking you to do the very same stuff you did as a basic...would you not eventually have some resentment? Would it not frustrate you? Would your skills then deteriorate from non-use?