Decreased Call Volume and System Response

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
I took a look at various metrics. It looks like calls/cases are starting to increase again, although lately not due to COVID related causes, they are still well below pre-COVID volumes.

I suspect we are starting to approach our new ‘’norm’ for the next couple or months. The 6s are still more afraid COVID than their ridiculous complaints, but the sick non-COVIDs seem to now be coming in.

Of course the metrics are extremely labile so predictions are next to impossible. That being said I suspect the days of absenteeism among the ESI 6s are staring to come to a draw.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
From an administrative side, we are certainly feeling the pinch of routine transports and wheelchair runs being cancelled.

Our 911 response is down a bit, around 20-30% depending on which weeks numbers I run. Acuity mix has changed as well. Fewer ALS calls, much more BLS. Most of our PT staff is still working to fill shifts, our wheelchair drivers are working reduced hours, only 1 dispatcher on during the day and billing staff is working from home.

We will feel this for years.

OP
OP
captaindepth

captaindepth

Forum Lieutenant
I took a look at various metrics. It looks like calls/cases are starting to increase again, although lately not due to COVID related causes, they are still well below pre-COVID volumes.

I suspect we are starting to approach our new ‘’norm’ for the next couple or months. The 6s are still more afraid COVID than their ridiculous complaints, but the sick non-COVIDs seem to now be coming in.

Of course the metrics are extremely labile so predictions are next to impossible. That being said I suspect the days of absenteeism among the ESI 6s are staring to come to a draw.

Anecdotally I also noticed a slight uptick in call volume this past weekend as well as increased traffic around town. Has anyone noticed a sharp uptick in cardiac arrests recently? Seems like we used to run an average of 2-3 workable cardiac arrests a day and now that number seems to way up over the past 1-2 weeks. I'm not sure if the increase in OHCA are related to Covid deaths or if they are the patients that would have normally gone to the ED but instead stayed home leading to them arresting at home.

@captaindepth I believe you and I work different shifts... anecdotally my shifts have been pretty consistent volume wise and I still can’t get off on time. I don’t work during peak bar time and I don’t work rush hour and I still can’t get off on time ever.

What I have noticed is that at approx 9-10 pm every night the call volume drops off to near zero. Its been busy in the afternoon and early evenings but once the essential workers are home from work, the shelters close their doors for the night, and everyone is done walking their dog, there is no one left out to call 911. No more of the drive by motorists calling 911 for a "down party, party is in a sleeping bag, unknown life status, possible cardiac arrest"

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
Anecdotally I also noticed a slight uptick in call volume this past weekend as well as increased traffic around town. Has anyone noticed a sharp uptick in cardiac arrests recently? Seems like we used to run an average of 2-3 workable cardiac arrests a day and now that number seems to way up over the past 1-2 weeks. I'm not sure if the increase in OHCA are related to Covid deaths or if they are the patients that would have normally gone to the ED but instead stayed home leading to them arresting at home.

This weekend we are up about 25% over the past few weeks, but still substantially below normal COVID volumes.

I highly suspect that a large number of those deaths are from non-COVID causes that haven’t been coming in. We typically see at least a few IVDU patients coming in for abscesses that end up being bacteremic , I haven’t seen any in a while and I doubt they have stopped using. Same with failure to thrive old people, and so on.

The non-COVID patients seem to be sicker on presentation, I think people are sticking it out at home longer than they would have normally.

I definitely noticed more drivers on the road, in fact yesterday I would say there was actually traffic on the highway. Considering that who is ‘essential’ hasn’t really changed in the past few weeks I think people are restless and getting out, and clearly not just at a neighborhood level.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
The ER this past week almost had normal census flow...for the first time since our lock down. It was weird having to actually do stuff again. LOL

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
One of our local QI guys told me the county OHCA are up 400%. Were starting to see really sick people. My guess is they are not Covid related and theyre avoiding the ER.

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain

According to command staff, our cardiac arrest calls are more than double the same time frame last year. I think it's a little COVID and a little people avoiding care. It's certainly gotten easier to convince people with minor complaints to follow-up with their PCP for their foot pain for 3 weeks.