Dangerous Driver- Advice Needed

EMSrush

Forum Captain
Hi guys,

I recently rode with an EMT that I had never worked with before. This EMT drove “angrily” everywhere we went. When I say "angrily", I am referring to almost road-rage quality driving: slamming on brakes, accelerating so fast that your neck snaps back, etc. He wasn't too bad when I had a patient in the back, but when we were alone, I found myself biting my tongue more often than I wanted to. The last straw was when he peeled out of a parking lot and actually accelerated towards a pedestrian that was crossing the road! The pedestrian jumped out of the way and flipped him off. I realize that there are many different styles of driving in EMS; some drivers are a bit smoother than others. I'm not picky. But driving like a lunatic, and even worse when frustrated?

I don't have driving privileges yet (because I'm new to the agency) and felt trapped. Towards the end, as his driving worsened, I felt like I was stuck in a car with a boyfriend who has a serious anger management issue.

My question is, if anyone has ever been in a similar situation, what is your breaking point? When is enough, enough? Do you confront the driver? Do you take it up with your supervisor? Or, like me, or you foolish enough to bottle it up and say nothing until you get home? Should I still report the issue?

I was able to overlook his refusal to help check off the truck, his poor mannerisms, sour attitude and the fact that he flat refused my requests to go grab a bite to eat on four separate occasions due to refusing to relinquish the Xbox control (I was called in on my day off to cover this shift- hadn't had breakfast). I could be wrong, but I felt that he was driving aggressively to intimidate me.

I am new to my company and don't want to make any waves, nor do I want to be perceived as a troublemaker. However, when I reach a point that I am actually scared while riding in the passenger seat, there is obviously a problem.

Any feedback is appreciated. :(

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
If he is driving that way, it reflects badly on the company and all of its employees, including yourself. I have always been the type of person to bring it up with the person first before taking it to a higher level. If he really is such a sourpuss and blows you off even after confronting him in a calm, professional manner, I would bring it up to a supervisor.

We are here to keep the public safe and not scare or endanger them, by making them jump out of the way of our trucks. As for the checking off the truck part, everyone was a rookie/probie/FNG at one point in their life...it sucks and isn't fun but you have to pay your dues. However if your partner is being blatantly rude about it no one deserves that. As an employee you do have rights.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
As an employee you do have rights.

Not for long...

Talk to him about it, before you go off to a manager. Try to solve things at the lowest level possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Talk to him. Then go to a sup if he still does it.

crazycajun

Forum Captain
Was this an EMT-B,I or a Paramedic? My opinion is this. If the pedestrian calls in a complaint you could also be held accountable if you did not report the incident. The second is this guy seems to have some issues with his job. If he disregards safety while driving, how long will it be be before a patient is involved? Do you really want to take that chance? I would tell him what my plans were and report to incident to my Supervisor.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Was this an EMT-B,I or a Paramedic? My opinion is this. If the pedestrian calls in a complaint you could also be held accountable if you did not report the incident. The second is this guy seems to have some issues with his job. If he disregards safety while driving, how long will it be be before a patient is involved? Do you really want to take that chance? I would tell him what my plans were and report to incident to my Supervisor.

What does it matter what level of license he has?

Scout

Para-Noid
Just reading between the lines, I might wait and see if its a once off he might have some personal stuff going on.

I cant see someone with that attitude lasting in EMS. If it happens again definitely report it.

OP
OP
E

EMSrush

Forum Captain

He is an EMT, and from what I understand, he's already hanging by a proverbial thread due to habitual lateness and inability to get along with others. I'd hate to put the last nail in his coffin...
But what you said mimics one of my concerns- what if I'm held accountable for not having reported the incident? It seems pretty stupid to me, to drive so stupidly with a giant company billboard.
I probably won't work with him again anytime in the near future, but I would hate to make anyone think that the treatment that I received is acceptable to me.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
He is an EMT, and from what I understand, he's already hanging by a proverbial thread due to habitual lateness and inability to get along with others. I'd hate to put the last nail in his coffin...
But what you said mimics one of my concerns- what if I'm held accountable for not having reported the incident? It seems pretty stupid to me, to drive so stupidly with a giant company billboard.
I probably won't work with him again anytime in the near future, but I would hate to make anyone think that the treatment that I received is acceptable to me.

Like I said... Talk to him.

OP
OP
E

EMSrush

Forum Captain
If he is driving that way, it reflects badly on the company and all of its employees, including yourself. I have always been the type of person to bring it up with the person first before taking it to a higher level. If he really is such a sourpuss and blows you off even after confronting him in a calm, professional manner, I would bring it up to a supervisor.

We are here to keep the public safe and not scare or endanger them, by making them jump out of the way of our trucks.

I agree with you 100%. I felt awful for the pedestrian. I was so embarrassed.

mcdonl

Forum Captain

Sounds like he is a Douchy McDouche.... I doubt talking to him about it will do a bit of good, otherwise he would not be on his last thread.

crazycajun

Forum Captain
What does it matter what level of license he has?

If the person is EMT-B or I the Paramedic is in charge of the unit and it is his/her responsibility for safety.

crazycajun

Forum Captain

As an EMT he is YOUR responsibility and you are responsible for his actions.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Both crewmembers are equally responsible for what happens in a situation like this: the only time being a paramedic comes into play is when it is pure patient care.
Example: if you suspect your partner is under the influence of something and is driving; and you don't do anything and he/she causes a wreck, you can be held responsible legally for it also.
So if he is driving recklessly, you can be held responsible also. At a hospital or somewhere that you can: talk to him first and if he doesn't stop his bad driving refuse to ride with him anymore and call management.

If management refuses to do anything then they are responsible also

McMedic828

Forum Ride Along
You need to write out a written complaint with all details and turn it in to your supervisor. Talking to him in my opinion isn't your responsibility and if he takes it the wrong way could possibly pose a risk to your safety. This is a problem that should be handled by your supervisor.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
I've never had an issue like this before. What would you say?

"Hey, man. You were driving pretty rough the other day. Was something going on?"

If he says no, tell him he should think about toning down his driving, especially while driving an ambulance.

If yes, suggest he not drive while he's upset/elated/whatever.

There's no reason to take this to a supervisor, before you've talked to the person. Man up and talk to them. Don't wimp out and go run to the supervisor.

OP
OP
E

EMSrush

Forum Captain
"Hey, man. You were driving pretty rough the other day. Was something going on?"

If he says no, tell him he should think about toning down his driving, especially while driving an ambulance.

If yes, suggest he not drive while he's upset/elated/whatever.

There's no reason to take this to a supervisor, before you've talked to the person. Man up and talk to them. Don't wimp out and go run to the supervisor.

I appreciate your feedback. In my opinion, whether something is going on or not, the vehicle needs to be operated safely at all times. I don't care if his dog got ran over that morning. If you cannot drive a vehicle safely due to personal matters (or professional matters), you have no business getting behind the wheel, especially with me in the passenger seat.

Also, I don't look at taking something important to a supervisor as "wimping out". If this person wasn't reasonable enough to unglue himself from the Xbox for 5 minutes or drive like a responsible driver, I find it hard to imagine that anything else that I say would matter to him.

OP
OP
E

EMSrush

Forum Captain
You need to write out a written complaint with all details and turn it in to your supervisor. Talking to him in my opinion isn't your responsibility and if he takes it the wrong way could possibly pose a risk to your safety. This is a problem that should be handled by your supervisor.

I can see what others are saying regarding handling this at the lowest level possible. It's a good option for a lot of things, such as personal disagreements, peeing on the toilet seat and things of that nature. :) Dealing with an unsafe driver is relatively unchartered territory for me. I'd hate for an accident to occur, and then have the supervisor ask me why I didn't bring it to their attention. And when I say, "Well, I talked to the EMT instead of bringing it to your attention to try and handle it on the lowest level possible..", my response could very well be:

"What qualifies you to act as a supervisor here?"