Dangerous dogs

Epi-do

I see dead people
I have always been a believer that banning specific breeds of dogs does nothing to address the true problem when it comes to dangerous or vicious dogs. However, after work yesterday, I can truly understand why people feel that is the answer.

We were sent on a dog bite run yesterday afternoon. Our typical reaction to these sorts of runs is "great, Fluffy nipped someone". Before we ever got to the house, we knew this was something entirely different. You know it is going to be bad when the police department is waiting at the entrance of the subdivision, flagging down the ambulance to get you to follow them to the house. I won't go into all of the details, but it was really bad. Her arm was almost completely amputated and just looked like hamburger (what was left).

We took the little girl to Riley Hospital for Children, where they took her to surgery to see if they would be able to save her arm.

Here's the news story.

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
the poor little girl is probably traumatized physically and emotionally for life, and all because people don't understand you can't domesticate some animals out of the purpose they were bred for...

~S~

OP
OP
Epi-do

Epi-do

I see dead people
It looks like they have updated the story since I first posted the link to the story. Apparently, they were able to save the arm. Hopefully the recovery goes smoothly and she is able to keep it. Although she didn't have the ability to move her hand when we took her in, she did have pulses and sensory, so we were hoping that the surgeons would be able to do something. I guess time will tell at this point.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm sorry to hear about that one Epi-do, read the story, dam stupid people...:glare:

OP
OP
Epi-do

Epi-do

I see dead people
I found out today at work that there was a second pitt in the house. After we left with the little girl, there was a second call back to the same address for a family member. Makes me wonder if the owner of the dogs is still the mom's boyfriend, or if he is now the ex-boyfriend.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
The problem is not the dog, but in the owner. While certain breeds have certain behavioral characteristics, a responsible owner is able to train and discipline the dog enough to keep it under control. A responsible owner also knows how to keep their dog out of situations where its breeding is going to be a security concern.

Unfortunately, proving you are a 'responsible' dog owner or that you are at least as strong willed or intelligent as the dog you intend to own is not a prerequisite to purchasing one, or worse yet, breeding them and selling them to morons.

We had a problem with a neighbor who owned both a rottweiler and a rhodesian ridgeback that were threatening pedestrians and running loose around the neighborhood. One was eventually shot by a sheriff who was attacked while attempting to interview the owner about the numerous complaints regarding the dog.

Both dogs were taken away from the owner and the owner moved. Probably to some other neighborhood where he got several more dogs and continued to encourage them to be vicious and allowed them to roam loose.

Jay114

Forum Crew Member
It seems to me that some folks who obtain breeds with aggressive reputations do so because of the reputation. They want a "vicious" or "tough" dog and treat the animal as such, thus perpetuating the reputation.

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
That was a difficult call. I hope the little girl will be OK... re the dog... some people are too stupid to own a hamster, let alone a dog like that...