D50

conchita12763

Forum Ride Along
Hello everyone... I have a question re: D50.
Im now learning medications in class and there was a question re: one of the side effects of this med. It states that it can cause Hypoglycemia... how is that? D50 is to help with Hypopclycemia. Im confused on how this is possible and there is nothing in my books to help explain and I do not find anything on the Internet re: it either. My only thoguht to the explination would be: 1) D50 is s imple sugar so if the patient has not eaten or took their Insulin and for some unknown reason it has not worked, it will bottom them out soon after the sugar level stablized... Am i correct in this thinking or totally off course?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Yes, one can see a "rebound" effect. As well D50w has several considerations when not to administer as well. Such incidents as inner-cerebral bleed or any hyper tonic solutions can be potentially lead into problems. Yes, one needs to address hypoglycemia but other alternatives such as D25w, Glucagon can be utilized.

R/r 911

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
There's a long heated and emabrassing thread about this...

..somewhere around here.

tydek07

Forum Captain
..somewhere around here.

I seem to see a lot of comments like this lately. :wacko:

Yes, there may be a thread similar to another one... that is going to happen.

If we just want to comment like, "This has been talked about before" "Look it up before you post" "There is this thing called search"... expect a Forum like this one to not be around much longer.

You can only talk about so many things before overlaps and repeats start happening... ;)

Take Care,

Last edited by a moderator:

medic5740

Forum Crew Member
Seizures and Hypoglycemia

Can a very low blood sugar cause a seizure? It would seem that this would be possible. Why does it seem that chronic brittle diabetics need more and more D50 to bring them out of insulin shock? Why does the blood glucose reading seem to read above one hundred and the patient is still unconscious?

On the other end of the spectrum, I'm trying to understand how a chronic, brittle diabetic seemingly in insulin shock was able to come out of a seizure-like posture with only airway control, and no D50. The typical response to this location involves a patient who has taken insulin, but has been "too busy" to eat. Patient was down for approximately four hours. Blood sugar reading was listed as "LOW" on the glucometer. Ten minutes later, after only airway control with suctioning and O2, (our hands were busy clearing mucous from the airway) the patient slowly began to wake up without any D50. His BLG reading did not change. The glucometer was checked, of course, and it was reading within the normal limits with a test solution.

FF894

Forum Captain
I seem to see a lot of comments like this lately. :wacko:

Yes, there may be a thread similar to another one... that is going to happen.

If we just want to comment like, "This has been talked about before" "Look it up before you post" "There is this thing called search"... expect a Forum like this one to not be around much longer.

You can only talk about so many things before overlaps and repeats start happening... ;)

Take Care,

Don't let EMT-Student see you talking like this.... :ph34r:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Can a very low blood sugar cause a seizure? It would seem that this would be possible. Why does it seem that chronic brittle diabetics need more and more D50 to bring them out of insulin shock? Why does the blood glucose reading seem to read above one hundred and the patient is still unconscious?

On the other end of the spectrum, I'm trying to understand how a chronic, brittle diabetic seemingly in insulin shock was able to come out of a seizure-like posture with only airway control, and no D50. The typical response to this location involves a patient who has taken insulin, but has been "too busy" to eat. Patient was down for approximately four hours. Blood sugar reading was listed as "LOW" on the glucometer. Ten minutes later, after only airway control with suctioning and O2, (our hands were busy clearing mucous from the airway) the patient slowly began to wake up without any D50. His BLG reading did not change. The glucometer was checked, of course, and it was reading within the normal limits with a test solution.

Yes hypoglycemia can induce seizure activity. Hence, the reason Paramedics should always check FSBS before treating the seizure immediately. Stop the cause, stop the seizure and one may not have to "control" the seizures. In fact it is a oral question on the NREMT examination at one time.

Brittle diabetics are a total different type of Diabetic. Their hormonal make up and levels are screwed up One can give a small amount and get a rebound effect of four times the amount then the next time it may not work at all. I have seen sugars as low as 24 and after D50 to be in the 400's. Again, their metabolism is altered and these patients are on the teeter totter bridge. One has to monitor them very closely for other complications as well.

R/r911

FF894

Forum Captain
Always run the line wide open for a little while to be sure you have a patent line...

bonedog

Forum Lieutenant
I would question if the seizure's were hypoxic in nature as it seems from your dialogue they ceased with suctioning and O2.
Also the with the adrenaline from the seizure they could have had a glycogen bolus from the liver/fat cell breakdown.