Current employer is not trustworthy.

EMT85

Forum Ride Along
Hello,

I am about look for a better job and would like to go to a reputable 911 provider. The current IFT company I am working for has been a nightmare. Whenever it seems they are improving, they do something else that is unfair to employees or possibly illegal.

A few issues that have concerned me are:

Forcing transport on patients who are AOX3 but have a "history" of psych.

Refusing lift-assist when it's needed.

Badgering and bullying EMT's who request ALS or decide not to transport unstable patients.

Giving write-ups for breaking rules that we were never made aware of or that were explained differently during training. .

The biggest problem are issues regarding scope of practice and patient care. I am one of very few who actually question these possible violations and protect myself. A supervisor once said "if you're so concerned about your certs, maybe a 'for profit' IFT company is not for you. Patient care is important but we are here to make money".

This was my first EMT job and the only reason I accepted this job was because I didn't have reliable transportation and they were reasonably close to my home. I now have a new car and am willing to take a small pay cut f it means getting away from this volatile environment. I know something bad is going to happen at this company and I do not want to be part of it. I feel trapped here because it's completely conceivable that they would attempt to sabotage my job search. Does anyone have advice?

JPINFV

Gadfly
A few thoughts...

Forcing transport on patients who are AOX3 but have a "history" of psych.

A/Ox3 does not equal capacity. A history of psychiatric illness does not equal lack of capacity. Neither side is right if that's the limit to the arguments on both sides.

Badgering and bullying EMT's who request ALS or decide not to transport unstable patients.
What are the ETAs involved? If an EMT is requesting paramedics when the closest hospital is 4 minutes away, then it's a valid complaint to not call paramedics short of the patient being in cardiac arrest or eligible for a specialty center (trauma, cardiac, stroke, etc).

Giving write-ups for breaking rules that we were never made aware of or that were explained differently during training.

While I sympathize, were the rules in the employee handbook? Did you have a chance (having the chance and actually doing are two separate things) to read it?

The biggest problem are issues regarding scope of practice and patient care. I am one of very few who actually question these possible violations and protect myself. A supervisor once said "if you're so concerned about your certs, maybe a 'for profit' IFT company is not for you. Patient care is important but we are here to make money".
What are you being told to do that is out of your scope of practice?
Does anyone have advice?

Find a new job ASAP...

OP
OP
E

EMT85

Forum Ride Along
A few thoughts...

A/Ox3 does not equal capacity. A history of psychiatric illness does not equal lack of capacity. Neither side is right if that's the limit to the arguments on both sides.

What are the ETAs involved? If an EMT is requesting paramedics when the closest hospital is 4 minutes away, then it's a valid complaint to not call paramedics short of the patient being in cardiac arrest or eligible for a specialty center (trauma, cardiac, stroke, etc).

While I sympathize, were the rules in the employee handbook? Did you have a chance (having the chance and actually doing are two separate things) to read it?

What are you being told to do that is out of your scope of practice?

Find a new job ASAP...

I should have been clearer but I didn't want to post too many details on the internet.

You have a good point in regards to the first issue.

With the unstable patients, I'm talking about transporting IFT transports. For example: The facility wants us to transport 10 miles from SNF to urgent care with unstable vitals and tell us that we cannot transport him anywhere else or they are going to cancel the call. Next thing, our boss is yelling at us in his office about how they are going to lose the contract and we should do what the nurse says because she knows more than us. When I was new at the company, a supervisor told me it was okay to transport a patient with a chest tube as long as it was clamped. When I when home that night to research it I found out that wasn't true. When I asked to have a meeting about it with the two other supervisors, they didn't take me seriously. Their reaction was like "who cares? Nothing happened". I explained that an AMR supervisor questioned us it the parking lot and one of my supervisors reply was "F*** AMR, it's none of their business what our EMT's do." He completely missed the point that it was not right to put an EMT in that scenario.

We did not have an employee handbook until just a few weeks ago and I've been working there a year. Their way of letting us know of new rules in posting them in the break-room or restroom for a few days.

I plan to find a new job ASAP but I am concerned that my current employer will give a bad reference.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I plan to find a new job ASAP but I am concerned that my current employer will give a bad reference.
for profit IFT companies are notoriously shady. the good ones are in the minority, but too many are more concerned with money vs patient care.

find another company. call the DOH. if they are gonna give you a bad reference, than it's gonna happen, better network well when you get the interview so you know it won't hurt you too badly.

plus, if they do give an untrue poor reference, you can always sue them for libel.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
You can actually transport to an urgent care? Here in NM, even if the pt is coming from a SNF or rehab, they are required by law to be transported to an ED. It sucks on the 911 side, cause about 80% of my patients could be treated just fine at an urgent care

JPINFV

Gadfly
You can actually transport to an urgent care? Here in NM, even if the pt is coming from a SNF or rehab, they are required by law to be transported to an ED. It sucks on the 911 side, cause about 80% of my patients could be treated just fine at an urgent care
Why not if it's a prearranged transport? How is transporting a prearranged transport to an urgent care any different than transporting to a doctor's office, outpatient radiology location, or dialysis clinic? This is different, of course, then a crew deciding to transport to an urgent care center instead of an emergency department.

Handsome Rob

Forum Crew Member
If you are that worried about your reference, you may want to be up front with your interviewer and explain the situation. I would check "no" under the contact current employer box on the app and go from there.

That being said, you may find it difficult to get onto a 911 service because of your past in IFT, especially if it is as shady as described and has a bad reputation in your area. Networking is where it's at for you. Talk to the local 911 guys and see what it takes.

I know that suing someone sounds pretty confusing for most EMT's and medics, but if you do your research on whistleblowers, etc. and go them seemingly in the know, then they MAY be less inclined to screw with you. Possibly. Maybe.

Also, you don't mention where you are located, so it's kinda hard to suggest a reputable provider in your area...I could list LA Co Fire or Walker County (Texas) EMS...lol

Last edited by a moderator:

IAems

Forum Crew Member
Do yourself a big favor and learn your locale scope of practice, regulatory agency laws, and Medicare compliance laws because ignorance is no defense and "my supervisors told me to" doesn't work as an excuse either. Find a new company because yours won't be around to long. Good luck.

SeanEddy

Forum Lieutenant
More like IFT in Los Angeles. I would take up welding before I worked around there.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk