crunch

yowzer

Forum Lieutenant
A few cities over, some idiot teenager going too fast slammed into the back of an ambulance shortly after the crew had loaded a patient in back... major injuries on his part, lesser ones to the firefighters.

http://www.komotv.com/news/5748796.html

FF/EMT Sam

Forum Lieutenant
Cue the slow, sarcastic applause.

<clap>.........<clap>.........<clap>

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm so happy that the teen driving laws have gotten stricter, It is a wonder I am still here, going by "back in the day" :wacko:

mfrjason

Forum Lieutenant
There was a bad accident early this morning over in Illinois where a car with 9,yes 9 kids in the car,was speeding cuz the driver of the car was drunk. 4 teenagers,ages 14,15,16,and 17,died in the accident. The driver of the car was 23 years old,the other kids were taken,either by ground or air,to area hospitals. Now,can anyone tell me how is it possible to fit 9 kids into a small car?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
There was a bad accident early this morning over in Illinois where a car with 9,yes 9 kids in the car,was speeding cuz the driver of the car was drunk. 4 teenagers,ages 14,15,16,and 17,died in the accident. The driver of the car was 23 years old,the other kids were taken,either by ground or air,to area hospitals. Now,can anyone tell me how is it possible to fit 9 kids into a small car?

must have been a clown car.:rolleyes: No of course not. What a stupid accident.

VinBin

Forum Captain

Kudos to the older (I am guessing 17-18yo) kids in the car for letting the drunk drive [assuming they all weren't drunk]....

OP
OP
yowzer

yowzer

Forum Lieutenant
And today a motorcycle cop in another city got hit... It's dangerous out there!

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Now,can anyone tell me how is it possible to fit 9 kids into a small car?

Yeah, they clown-car it. We see that here all the time, and it's almost always a particular ethnic segment of our local population. The local PD has put out flyers and DMV has signs about proper seat belt usage, but it still happens. I counted 12 people in a Dodge Caravan.. driver, passenger (baby on lap) and a gaggle of people in the back. They all seemed to have babies on their laps too.. no car seats.

It was really scary. :|

premedtim

Forum Lieutenant
A few cities over, some idiot teenager going too fast slammed into the back of an ambulance shortly after the crew had loaded a patient in back... major injuries on his part, lesser ones to the firefighters.

http://www.komotv.com/news/5748796.html

You know the only thing more stupid than teen drivers is senior drivers. Outside the old people, you simply can't drive as bad as a kid.

Mercy4Angels

Forum Lieutenant
well they are on the right track with restricted licences till a certain age. now they need different LEVELS of licences as rated by weight and horsepower. This way a kid at 16 cant get behind the wheel of a rig or daddys 600hp viper.

mfrjason

Forum Lieutenant
According to reports,some of the teens had been drinking,but they don't know how they got the booze. From what I heard she is still in the hospital in serious condition and is looking at 4 counts of negligent manslaughter charges,which carries a prison term of at least 20 years.

mfrjason

Forum Lieutenant
From what I saw Brian was that the car was a toyota size car. I still cant figure out how 9 ppl fitted in there. They had to cut the roof off just to get to them and a memorial was made at the site of the accident for the 4 kids that died.

mfrjason

Forum Lieutenant
I agree Tim. Older drivers just dont have the reaction time as a teenager.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
well they are on the right track with restricted licences till a certain age. now they need different LEVELS of licences as rated by weight and horsepower. This way a kid at 16 cant get behind the wheel of a rig or daddys 600hp viper.

I've always thought that was a good idea. Around here, teenagers can be seen driving to school in a new BMW 300i or Acura or Escalade that Daddy bought them. I wish I was kidding.

Car wrecks are the #1 killer of children & teenagers. Why does a 16 year old girl need an SUV or a Ford Mustang?

Give 'em a 2 door speck like a Geo Metro or something. Might save a few lives.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
We just had a SAR for a teenager who was out 4-wheeling and didn't come home. Was due back home around 8:00pm, Dad looked on his own until 11:30 then called us out. Turns out the kid got his 4 wheel drive stuck about 28 miles out in the boonies and had to walk out to where they could get a cell phone signal. They called out at 11am the following day. Dad was saying... "Last time I had to go tow him out.... that's it.. no more four wheel drive!"

We need more parents like that! Not like the teenage girl I saw on an MVA scene. Her car was totaled but she only had minor injuries. The car she hit got pushed in front of a truck in another lane and caused some pretty significant trauma. She's on the cell phone with her mother "Mom... I got in another wreck... no.. I'm not hurt .... cop says my car is totaled... That means I get a new one... right?" I have never seen a trooper so angry in my entire life. He laid into her like Billy-be-damned. Brought her over to the other car and told her to get a good look at those people and maybe ask them if they think she ought to have a new car. He probably got a complaint from her parents for 'traumatizing' their little princess.

OP
OP
yowzer

yowzer

Forum Lieutenant
We just had a SAR for a teenager who was out 4-wheeling and didn't come home. Was due back home around 8:00pm, Dad looked on his own until 11:30 then called us out. Turns out the kid got his 4 wheel drive stuck about 28 miles out in the boonies and had to walk out to where they could get a cell phone signal.

I saw that mentioned in the news the other day, or at least a very similar incident. I think there were two kids involved in the one I heard.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
My first car was a used one with the smallest engine my dad could find. At the time I hated the small engine. Now I understand why.

The crash in Detroit was tragic and hit close to home. It wasn't too far away from where I used to live.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Like I said before, it is a wonder we are still alive.... Thank goodness for miracles. -_-