crohn's and medical marijuana, and employment

snowman

Forum Ride Along
I am about to complete my emt and take the national reg, but i was just diagnosed with crohn's disease, its been giving me alot of problems and iv had to go to the hospital twice now. iv been researching all i can about it and possible treatments, there are anti inflametorys such as sulfosalazine which i am on now but they have alot of side effects like nausia, vomiting, headche, stomache pain,diarreah, muscle/joint pain,respiratory infection and cyonosis, all of those sound almost like the disease its self plus i allready have had migranes since i was a kid i dont need more.Then there are corticosteroids, those i dont want anything to do with they have serious side effects that are just as bad iif not worse than the disease incuding greater suseption to infection.
Then there is medical marijuana, on all these sites iv seen this as an extremely effective treatment with no side efects, they say it decreases inflamation, decreases nausia, increases appitite, decreases diarreah, and mild pain killer, here is one quote.

"Dr Wright, working with colleagues at the School of Graduate Entry Medicine and Health in Derby, has shown that cells that react to cannabinoid compounds play an important role in normal gut function as well as the immune system's inflammatory response.

"The body produces its own cannabinoid molecules, called endocannabinoids, which we have shown increase the permeability of the epithelium during inflammation, implying that overproduction may be detrimental," said Dr Wright.

"However, we were able to reverse this process using plant-derived cannabinoids, which appeared to allow the epithelial cells to form tighter bonds with each other and restore the membrane barrier."

this sounds like the safest and also very effective treatment, iv talked to my mom about it she is an RN and she thinks it would be good iv also talked alittle with my main doctor about it and he thinks its a good treatment too, he said he would hold off on prescribing it just yet only because it would be a hassle to me being federaly illegal and all, iv yet to talk to my instructors yet but plan to next class. so i know alot about this now but what i want to know now is if i was prescribed this would it interfere with me getting hired in any possition i try to get in the medical feild? i dont smoke now ill admit i did in high school but havent since, if it will be a problem to me i wont get it but i also dont want to take the other medications due to there severe side effects but that will just lead to surgery after surgery, so i really dont know what to do here any and all advice and input would be appriciated.

FourLoko

Forum Lieutenant
yes it will be a problem

first thing I did when my company decided to offer me the job was run off and pee in a cup

you will obviously fail

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
This thread has potential to go down hill fast.

To answer your question, there is ZERO chance of getting hired on with a fire department if you are prescribed medical marijuana. ZERO.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Uhm...what..?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
This thread has potential to go down hill fast.

Yep, which is why I'll be monitoring this thread in particular. So this is fair warning to all, I'm watching.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
If you want to smoke pot, don't expect to work in EMS. It truly is that simple.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Great... now convince the FDA to reschedule marijuana/THC to schedule 2 and you'll be fine.

Personally, I'd love to see tobacco/nicotine moved to schedule 1 or 2 (potential benefit for patients with bipolar or schizophrenia) simply for the consistency. The lulz would be a simply, tasty bonus. Alcohol can come too, but we've tried that experiment before.

BrushBunny91

Forum Lieutenant
Best bet would be to Speak to someone in the human resources department of your local ems provider.

JPINFV

Gadfly
edit: Never mind, not worth the bonus points the mods are going to hand out in this thread.

Sasha

Forum Chief
edit: Never mind, not worth the bonus points the mods are going to hand out in this thread.

You know they have the power to see what your previous post was before editing it.

JPINFV

Gadfly
You know they have the power to see what your previous post was before editing it.

I'm sure they do, but if there's no reaction does it matter? Besides, the post itself wasn't inflammatory, it just wasn't a good road to start down.

OP
OP
S

snowman

Forum Ride Along
ok that takes care of that then my career is more important, thought i would just ask. well i hope they find a better safer treatment for this, thank you

Sasha

Forum Chief
I'm sure they do, but if there's no reaction does it matter? Besides, the post itself wasn't inflammatory, it just wasn't a good road to start down.

You and I both know lack of reaction does not factor into their infraction giving.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Keep it on topic, or ....:ph34r:

Sasha

Forum Chief
Medical marijuana makes me go :ph34r:

OP
OP
S

snowman

Forum Ride Along
ok that takes care of that then my career is more important, thought i would just ask. well i hope they find a better safer treatment for this, thank you

OP
OP
S

snowman

Forum Ride Along
the only reason i asked was because its on every site about crohn's and colitus as treatment,which is why i asked my main doctor about it instead of going to one of those doctors that you just pay them off and they give you one, no i saw it was an actual treatment, but all those people out there with there sprained ankles and for some reason they dont want to eat anymore and any other bull excuse they could come up with to exploit the medical use of marijuana thanks for ruining it for the people who it could actualy benefit.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Again, your problem is with the FDA. All those people using or abusing medical marijuana (the terms aren't the same) are still breaking federal law, and can be arrested at any time. Additionally, especially if you're working for a company that uses controlled substances, I'm not sure how the FDA is going to react towards a medical director when they find out that someone operating under his DEA number is using a schedule 1 controlled substance.