Critical Care Paramedics in Qatar 98k

OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
yeah as Armor said FPC and CCEMTP being the most popular ways, if they do not accept your MICP its not the end of the world to sit through a 2 week CCEMTP course, or take no course at all and just challenge the FP-C exam via computer testing. It will require some review though.

medicaustik

Forum Crew Member
This seems like a really nice gig. The 3 year contract is a bit of a turn off.. but certainly worth considering at that salary.

Those benefits are awfully nice too.

Welp, guess I ought to go ahead and sign up for the CCP-C exam.

OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
you don't need to do the 3 years, if you do not complete the 3 year contract you just lose your "end of contract bonus" and any "furniture allowance" you where given is prorated. Those are an incentive to stay, but many people on these contracts leave before the time on the contract. I believe you have to give 90 days notice though to leave on good terms before the 3 years.

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
you don't need to do the 3 years, if you do not complete the 3 year contract you just lose your "end of contract bonus" and any "furniture allowance" you where given is prorated. Those are an incentive to stay, but many people on these contracts leave before the time on the contract. I believe you have to give 90 days notice though to leave on good terms before the 3 years.

Does the end of contract bonus and furniture allowance amount to a lot of lost money? Do you mind giving a ballpark?

OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
On my previous 2 contracts each was around 1 months salary.

Armor10

Forum Crew Member
If you left in the first year, you would be out about 20k. That's just a rough estimate/Guess. Might be more, might be less. But no one says you have to take the furniture allowance. But be prepaired to eat out every night, and sleep on the floor until you can purchase your own bed, appliances etc. This is a great contract, but most people don't really start saving any money until after the first year. The start up costs are quite high, especially with a family.

OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
If you left in the first year, you would be out about 20k. That's just a rough estimate/Guess. Might be more, might be less. But no one says you have to take the furniture allowance. But be prepaired to eat out every night, and sleep on the floor until you can purchase your own bed, appliances etc. This is a great contract, but most people don't really start saving any money until after the first year. The start up costs are quite high, especially with a family.
Both my previous contracts where for 1 year and paid much less. I still managed to save over 40k USD in a savings account. Its all about how you manage your money.

medicaustik

Forum Crew Member
Both my previous contracts where for 1 year and paid much less. I still managed to save over 40k USD in a savings account. Its all about how you manage your money.

Wow.

As a single guy in his 20s.. is there an expat community to hang out with?

Does said community have any women amongst it that a guy could go out with?

Also, about the need for a critical care cert, is there any flexibility being offered for those who are still working on achieving their cert? It doesn't seem like there would be, but it can't hurt to ask.

Last edited by a moderator:

Armor10

Forum Crew Member
You have to remember where you are mate. Even though Qatar is coming along, and the legal system is slowly catching up, and it's still way more liberal than say Saudi Arabia. It is still against the law for unmarried men, and women to date etc. If your girlfriend became pregnant, you both can be jailed. Or you could find yourself getting married.

"Others are excused from jail time if the father of the baby agrees to marry the mother."

See below:

http://dohanews.co/facing-jail-unmarried-pregnant-women-in-qatar-left/

There are plenty of Expat people to hang out with, and yes dating does happen here. (But Absolutely not with any of the locals period!) But usually with people from other Western Countries, and you have to be very careful. 98% of the time it's not a problem. But your neighbour, who told you to turn your music down, and you told him to go to hell. Well he just witnessed you taking your girlfriend to your flat. He knows you're not married, so he calls the police....see where I'm going here. It's easy to forget you're not in a Western Country here. It's very open to an extent....Just be careful.

You need your Critical Care Cert in hand before applying.

OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Wow.

As a single guy in his 20s.. is there an expat community to hang out with?

Does said community have any women amongst it that a guy could go out with?

Also, about the need for a critical care cert, is there any flexibility being offered for those who are still working on achieving their cert? It doesn't seem like there would be, but it can't hurt to ask.

Your gonna get a lot more girls on that cruise ship job probably, lol. Armor10 is correct about everything, including the critical care certification. However, you can knock out a CCEMTP course in 2 weeks or just challenge the FP-C exam with no class at all(but lots of self study)

I would just like to clarify though, you can drink in bars and talk to western women. People still date, in Dubai I checked into hotels with my girlfriend, took her out to dinner and to bars, not a big deal, maybe a slight risk, but it was never an issue for me. However, there can be repercussions if your not smart about it. You gotta be smart about the local customs, laws, ect and respect them when in public. Public displays of affection are frowned upon and sex out of marriage is illegal technically. Also the number of foreign females in their 20's who are there, who are not married, are low(excluding locals). A lot of my previous colleagues met Filipino and Thai girls, dated them, then married them lol. Big workforce of Filipino people there, great people to.

Frankly, I am just excited to work with Armor10 again, hes sort of like a paramedic demigod sent to the middle east to heal its citizens.

Armor10

Forum Crew Member
"Frankly, I am just excited to work with Armor10 again, hes sort of like a paramedic demigod sent to the middle east to heal its citizens."

Thanks Mate, I try.

dutemplar

Forum Captain
G'day

My apologies on resurrecting an old thread. Apparently I've been shortlisted since September-ish for an interview which will probably be happening next weekend via Skype after they do in person recruiting in South Africa.

Any suggestions or advice? I'm quite interested, have a varied background of ALS, Fire, Rescue, Military and CCEMTP. No degree, though about 72 credits towards a BS.

Currently engaged. She would likely be remaining in the US to finish out her term as a school nurse at the very least. Might consider a similar position but isn't a hospital/ floor nurse. Copy that the wedding would have to occur before she joined.

David

OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
David, be VERY CAREFUL! Here is my post from another thread.
***WARNING***
Watch out for this company. Your recruitment offer is not worth the paper its written on and Hamad Medical Corporation are liars. I applied 10 months ago for a Critical Care Paramedic position, I was hired 6 months ago and signed my recruitment offer. My offer was suddenly canceled 2 days ago. This was right before my estimated start date.

All my belongings are packed in boxes, notice has been given to my apartment, I have rejected other contracts and offers of employment, I have spent thousands of dollars, and 9 months on required preparations for this. I got dumped like a sack of door knobs right before the start date I was given. I am not the only one, I spoke to another expat colleague of mine, he had the same thing happen! They say they want Critical Care Paramedics from the USA, but they don't. I hope no one else falls victim to there lies like I did.

I have been a member of this forum for almost 9 years, and an expat medic in the middle east for 3 years, working in 3 previous middle eastern countries. I have never had an employer do this before, I have had recruitment offers canceled, but never like this. The international western expat community for Paramedics is small, so I hope word gets out. There are plenty of other opportunities for Paramedics, so don't waste your time...

My apologies on resurrecting an old thread. Apparently I've been shortlisted since September-ish for an interview which will probably be happening next weekend via Skype after they do in person recruiting in South Africa.

Any suggestions or advice? I'm quite interested, have a varied background of ALS, Fire, Rescue, Military and CCEMTP. No degree, though about 72 credits towards a BS.

Currently engaged. She would likely be remaining in the US to finish out her term as a school nurse at the very least. Might consider a similar position but isn't a hospital/ floor nurse. Copy that the wedding would have to occur before she joined.

David

dutemplar

Forum Captain
Roger that, and alrighty then. Interesting. They've been on a monumental recruiting binge for ages and that could explain why.

Previously there was a lot of interest in the Qatar area, is that still a recruiting area? Any suggestions? I would prefer an area that is interesting and capable f taking the fiancée/ wife along. Sorry to hear how hard you're gotten (ahem)!

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
How stingy are they in Qatar about booze?

edit: Nevermind, should have read all the way to the end. That sucks dude.

BKKMedik

Forum Ride Along
Living

Armor10 and ExpatMedic,

Hey guys, I'm a fellow expat CC medic currently working in Bangkok, Thailand. I am very interested in the job posting but had a question prior to applying. If I were offered a position I would be moving with my wife and daughter. I have visited Doha and know that it is an expensive place. Do you find the salary sufficient to live off of and put money away? Would it be sufficient for a family? Stay safe out there guys!

Thanks!

OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Ya, here is one of the many forms you will sign which are not worth the paper they are written on, such as this offer of employment. Also they do not mention the fact that you do not work 4 days on 4 days off. Some weeks you work 5 days on without overtime pay. Since a shift is 12 hours long, that is a 60 hour work week with no OT pay.

Attachments

• Offer of employment - editinfo.jpg
    Offer of employment - editinfo.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 751

KR040383

Forum Ride Along
Hi lovely people

I have recently received info about job I applied in Doha as a Paramedic and would like to know your opinion if is good or bad for family of 2 adults and 2 kids:

Ambulance Paramedic Grade 108 Tax free basic salary. From 5600 QAR up to 10250 QAR per month.
3 Year contract (renewable)

Single and family contracts available. Generous Tax free basic salary.

Additional to the basic salary you will also receive added benefits such as:

+ Free fully furnished accommodation provided/ or housing allowance.

+ Transport allowance of 1250 QAR per month added to your basic salary.

+ Free "round trip" (to and from home country) flight tickets on joining, annual leave, and on repatriation. For those with family contract offered this will be also be applicable for your family (wife and up to 3 children up to 18 years old).

+ End of Service Award (at end of contract) which is one month's salary for each year worked.

Etc. The benefits outlined here are those that apply to most employees.

Take care and be safe