Critical Care Paramedics in Qatar 98k

OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I just interviewed a couple months ago, I'll send you a PM, not sure if you can reply though before you do 5 post. Armor10 would probably be better at answering most questions though, since he works there currently.
Do you have a current Critical Care cert of some kind?

grodyjody

Forum Ride Along
Yeah its saying i need 3 more posts... I did get your pm though. I do have a CCEMT-P thats current I need to recert in the next month though, I dont think thats going to be hard though.

grodyjody

Forum Ride Along
I have read a lot of blogs and stuff and it all sounds like a good deal from what i can find

OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
yeah cool, the CCEMT-P should be fine, that is what I have. Just make sure to keep it current. Have you worked in the middle east before?

grodyjody

Forum Ride Along
No I lived in germany for a couple years but not as a civilian, I love travel so this seems like a no brainer

OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Ya cool, well good luck to you man, hope to see you over there. Apparently we are still short on people. Feel free to spread the word or ask anymore questions here. I am really looking forward to it, and also seeing my old friend "Armor10" again... Hes pretty much my polar opposite.

You figure, the pay is about $100,000 tax free, and your hosing is paid for... so you bank most of that.

Dougw133

Forum Probie
I've been looking into Dubai Qatar for over 2 years. Im experienced. Either I get no response from the inquires or they are literally fake. Hows did you come upon this opportunity?

Armor10

Forum Crew Member
Seriously? We need another 40 people. But we only higher US, Canadian, Australian, or South African Medics. I'm guessing your not from one of these places.

Dougw133

Forum Probie
I am US National Registry, Current PALS, ACLS. Spent 4 years time on Medic 10 with the Philadelphia fire department. I have decent Resume.

Armor10

Forum Crew Member
I was told that you need a degree with two years of Medic experience. In the absence of a degree, you will need two or three years of documentable Critical Care experience. Either the FP-C, CCEMTP, or MICP. I got hired here with an AAS in Emergency Medicine. 8 years of Lead Paramedic Experience. 3 years of HEMS experience. My Oregon Medic License, and the Mobil Intensive Care Paramedic Course.

Dougw133

Forum Probie
I was told that you need a degree with two years of Medic experience. In the absence of a degree, you will need two or three years of documentable Critical Care experience. Either the FP-C, CCEMTP, or MICP. I got hired here with an AAS in Emergency Medicine. 8 years of Lead Paramedic Experience. 3 years of HEMS experience. My Oregon Medic License, and the Mobil Intensive Care Paramedic Course.

PA doesnt truly recognice "CC Paramedic". We're all MICP's. I have 12 years, 8 as lead medic. All years were 911/trans/HEMS systems, again 4 being the busiest ALS system in the Nation. I do not have a degree. Not a common thing when I went through school.

Armor10

Forum Crew Member
Ya, that's the problem then. You have to remember that to be a medic in almost all the rest of the world you need a BA. We're considered Independent Practicing Clinicians here. (Think PA who comes to your home.) Oregon is still the only state to require a Medic degree. I had to have a side by side comparison done with my Oregon AAS and the British Bacholor program. We actually have more classroom time, and they have more on the job training. It's strange I know. But they get a Bacholors out of it some how. If you invested in a CCEMT-P course, or took the FP-C. You would qualify to work here from what it sounds. It's almost 100k a year here so it's a good investment.

Armor10

Forum Crew Member
But remember, if your a cookbook medic, only do something because the paper says so, then don't come. We have almost zero medical over site, and actually have our own medical practice (Independent remember).You have to be on the top of your game. You know the annoying medic at the station who seems to know everything, and is always reading studies? Ya, that's the guy were looking for here.

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
For practicing independently I think the degree requirements sound a bit soft...I would think a bachelor's at a minimum, with a BS in science plus 5+ years relevant experience sounding like a good entry point...

Just my two cents, which is worth exactly what you paid for it...

Dougw133

Forum Probie
Ya, that's the problem then. You have to remember that to be a medic in almost all the rest of the world you need a BA. We're considered Independent Practicing Clinicians here. (Think PA who comes to your home.) Oregon is still the only state to require a Medic degree. I had to have a side by side comparison done with my Oregon AAS and the British Bacholor program. We actually have more classroom time, and they have more on the job training. It's strange I know. But they get a Bacholors out of it some how. If you invested in a CCEMT-P course, or took the FP-C. You would qualify to work here from what it sounds. It's almost 100k a year here so it's a good investment.

Thanks for the info. When you round up the amount of hours put into my year and a half course it equates to about 3 years of typical college hours spread out. Im not concerned. Soon enough there's either going to be a lot of happy people, and a lot of PO'd people because at some point when we're removed from Allied Health to Professional, we're going to have to be licensed nationally. So people will be grandfathered or forced to go back to school.

Dougw133

Forum Probie
For practicing independently I think the degree requirements sound a bit soft...I would think a bachelor's at a minimum, with a BS in science plus 5+ years relevant experience sounding like a good entry point...

Just my two cents, which is worth exactly what you paid for it...

You have to consider the economy. Good or bad I don't know too many people who are going to spend that exorbitant amount of money to earn a BS and come out to be paid 15/hr. It's nuts.

OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Hey Doug,
Yeah you need a critical care certification to apply, most guys use CCEMT-P or FP-C, however I think you said you have an MICP right? I believe that is accepted. Just scan your MICP paper and show it to recruiting, they will let you know if its accepted or not. I think you may be fine(but you need to ask recruiting)

Last edited by a moderator:

Armor10

Forum Crew Member
I agree, I'm going to start my Bachelors of Science this winter. I only have three terms with the bridge from my AAS. Every medic in the US could benefit from more schooling. Doug, I'm not sure where if any MICP is recognized anymore. CCEMTP and the FPC seems to be the latest and greatest. Both are on my to do list soon.

Dougw133

Forum Probie
I agree, I'm going to start my Bachelors of Science this winter. I only have three terms with the bridge from my AAS. Every medic in the US could benefit from more schooling. Doug, I'm not sure where if any MICP is recognized anymore. CCEMTP and the FPC seems to be the latest and greatest. Both are on my to do list soon.

I totally agree more schooling is a benefit to us all. However, there not compensating very many paramedics for it. There was a bill introduced to the house representatives in Pennsylvania 3 years ago. It was to rid Paramedic of Allied Health and make it a recognized profession, with the nation following suit. Reps started asking questions. The most common was "So whats the difference between them and a nurse?" Obviously school and pay. Why spend 4 years for BS as a medic when you can just be a PHRN? That seems to be what is the debate now here in PA with the philly fire EMS chief Touchstone heading up the push. As with anything, compensation is the only thing standing in the way. Im sure if physicians could make 150'000 a year on an Ambulance we'd have them.

Alaska has MICP licensed. The issue with CCP is that in most states it doesnt make a difference. You still operate within the same protocols. This is why I am tired of paying my dues and refreshing my National Registry. We've seen literally no change in the last 10 years in how this nation operates EMS unilaterally. I'll look into if I can find FPC around here.

Didnt mean to stray so far off topic. I appreciate the info. Would you mind PM'ing me the info of the company?

Last edited by a moderator: