Crime scenes?

KTess11

Forum Probie
I haven't taken my EMT training yet, I still have a year to go before I can. But I was wondering, do EMT's go to crime scenes? I'm not sure if that would weigh in on my decision of being an EMT, i'm just curious if I would.

Thanks for any help!

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
All the time. Usually to check if the person is actually dead. But you will be at many GSW, stabbing, assault scenes as well.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Yes they do, but just curious as to why the question was asked? It's not a huge part of the job, and as you mentioned, it probably shouldn't have much bearing on your decision making process.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
All the time. As @exodus already stated. Any type of crime where someone gets injured we respond to.

OP
OP
KTess11

KTess11

Forum Probie
Yes they do, but just curious as to why the question was asked? It's not a huge part of the job, and as you mentioned, it probably shouldn't have much bearing on your decision making process.

Okay thank you, well family members of mine were talking and they aren't to fond of the idea of me going to crime scenes. But if it's to help people I don't really see the difference. Is that wrong thinking?

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Okay thank you, well family members of mine were talking and they aren't to fond of the idea of me going to crime scenes. But if it's to help people I don't really see the difference. Is that wrong thinking?
If you are going to a crime scene there will be police and it will ( should) be deemed safe before you are cleared to go in

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Even if the EMT's are the first to respond?
If I am dispatched to an assault for example. We will not respond with lights an siren and will park a few blocks away from scene until we are cleared to go in by police. This is called staging.

There will be times though that you show up first and realize it is a crime scene once you get there. If you feel it is safe you continue on as normal.... If you don't you get out until it is safe.

Reactions: Rin

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Even if the EMT's are the first to respond?

Yup, one of the first things you will learn in EMT school is scene safety. Anytime there is a potential danger pervayed by dispatch, or if you're called out for an assault or anything of the sort. We don't actually go into the scene until the police is already there and they have deemed it safe.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I've very rarely felt myself to be in much danger at work.

A. As Medic Tim mentioned, we stage most/all of the time for crime scenes until PD has arrived and "cleared" it.

B. Most people, apart from drunks or the mentally ill, don't aim to hurt medical providers.

C. Verbal judo defuses ~90% of potential conflicts

D. When we get in to the rare "tussle" with a patient because we have to, we outnumber them, have restraints, chemical sedation, and radios so we will soon outnumber them even more dramatically.

E. Situational awareness can keep you out of a lot of troubling situations. Know what's going on around you, and plan what you'd need to do before it gets to that point.

OP
OP
KTess11

KTess11

Forum Probie
If I am dispatched to an assault for example. We will not respond with lights an siren and will park a few blocks away from scene until we are cleared to go in by police. This is called staging.

There will be times though that you show up first and realize it is a crime scene once you get there. If you feel it is safe you continue on as normal.... If you don't you get out until it is safe.
Yup, one of the first things you will learn in EMT school is scene safety. Anytime there is a potential danger pervayed by dispatch, or if you're called out for an assault or anything of the sort. We don't actually go into the scene until the police is already there and they have deemed it safe.
I've very rarely felt myself to be in much danger at work.

A. As Medic Tim mentioned, we stage most/all of the time for crime scenes until PD has arrived and "cleared" it.

B. Most people, apart from drunks or the mentally ill, don't aim to hurt medical providers.

C. Verbal judo defuses ~90% of potential conflicts

D. When we get in to the rare "tussle" with a patient because we have to, we outnumber them, have restraints, chemical sedation, and radios so we will soon outnumber them even more dramatically.

E. Situational awareness can keep you out of a lot of troubling situations. Know what's going on around you, and plan what you'd need to do before it gets to that point.

WOW thank you all so much. Now that I know more about it, I think i'll do just fine in family conversations

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
Bear in mind that this only applies to providers working in a 911 system. I believe that the majority of ambulance workers in the US are employed by IFT (inter-facility transport) services, where we never get called to crime scenes and rarely ever see a dead body.

Rotor Talker

Old EMT-B
"E. Situational awareness can keep you out of a lot of troubling situations. Know what's going on around you, and plan what you'd need to do before it gets to that point."

THIS!! /\ /\ /\

Learn it, love it, live it, regardless of where you are or what you are doing.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
I've been in crime scenes, been in a developing crime scenes, and been in to confirm death.

I am more afraid of routine MVAs on the side of the road. We don't go in to a violent/potentially violent scene until it is secured. If a scene is developing into a Harry situation my partner and I make a safe exit until PD can come in.

chriscemt

Forum Lieutenant
Bear in mind that this only applies to providers working in a 911 system. I believe that the majority of ambulance workers in the US are employed by IFT (inter-facility transport) services, where we never get called to crime scenes and rarely ever see a dead body.

I've been dispatched to two possible crime scenes working IFT, and informed dispatch of my intention to to stage before PD cleared the scene. Both times were were cancelled and local 911 EMS took over.