Cpr

Combilation

Forum Ride Along
Just started my EMT class a couple weeks ago. Its almost overwhelming what my teacher is expecting of us. We have a big test coming up tuesday. One of the questions Im gonna be asked is what are the steps of CPR. I just got an email of a study guide from him but it seems he wants seven steps for CPR. In the american heart class we only learned 6. Im thinking the last step is just repeat but im not sure can anyone help me out. Im getting stressed out on this question. The bookwork is somewhat easy but Its a lot of information. Thanks for helping this n00b out.

1.Determine Unresponsive
2.Open Airway
3.Check breathing (Look Listen Feel)
4.Give two breathes
5.Check Pulse
6.Give Compressions

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
AED?

But it would actually be 8 steps if you did it the way the AHA teaches (calling for help)

OP
OP
C

Combilation

Forum Ride Along
So your saying...

1.Determine Unresponsive
2.Call 911/Send for help
3.Open Airway
4.Check breathing (Look Listen Feel)
5.Give two breathes
6.Check Pulse
7.Give Compressions
8.AED arrives

?

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
So your saying...

1.Determine Unresponsive
2.Call 911/Send for help
3.Open Airway
5.Give two breathes
6.Check Pulse
7.Give Compressions
8.AED arrives

?

1. Scene safety/BSI/blah blah...
2. Determine responsiveness
3. Call for ALS
4. Open airway
5. Check breathing (look listen feel)
6. Give two breaths
7. Check pulse
8. If the arrest was witnessed, shock first.
8(a). If the arrest was unwitnessed, begin CPR. Continue for five cycles, then shock.

Clibby

Forum Crew Member
I've seen it taught in 7 steps. Some instructors separate AED from CPR, so the algorithm would look like this for just CPR:

1.Determine Unresponsive
2.Activate the Emergency Response System
3.Open Airway
4.Check breathing (Look, Listen, & Feel)
5.Give two breathes
6.Check Pulse
7.Give Compressions

When the AED portion is incorporated the algorithm changes to something like this for adults:

1.Determine Unresponsive
2.Activate the Emergency Response System & send for AED
3.Open Airway
5.Give two breathes
6.Check Pulse
7.Give Compressions
8*.Use AED

*-If un-witnessed perform 2 minutes of care before AED
*-If witnessed use AED immediately
Think of it as wanting the patient to have 'new' oxygenated blood before AED use.

If your instructor is incorporating the OPA/NPA then that step could be added after #3, but that isn't necissarily CPR. The thing most people forget, though, is calling for help or ALS if you are an EMT. Sometimes scene safety/BSI is added in like EMTinNEPA pointed out, but sometimes it is implied. Either way, never forget it! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Here's an idea, ask your instructor for clarification. I am sure they would much rather have you obtain first hand instead of numerous ideas.

R/r 911

OP
OP
C

Combilation

Forum Ride Along
Yeah I replied to his email and asked him to clarify but he didnt email me back until today when he got in the office. Thanks for the help though had the test today and got an A.

It ended up being..

Determine Unresponsivness
Open Airway
Check for breathing
Give two breathes
Check Pulse
Check for chest rise
Give compressions

Explorer127

Forum Crew Member
Yeah I replied to his email and asked him to clarify but he didnt email me back until today when he got in the office. Thanks for the help though had the test today and got an A.

It ended up being..

Determine Unresponsivness
Open Airway
Check for breathing
Give two breathes
Check Pulse
Check for chest rise
Give compressions

Why would you check for chest rise when you're on the C part of the ABC's?

emtfarva

Forum Captain
I've seen it taught in 7 steps. Some instructors separate AED from CPR, so the algorithm would look like this for just CPR:

1.Determine Unresponsive
2.Activate the Emergency Response System
3.Open Airway
4.Check breathing (Look, Listen, & Feel)
5.Give two breathes
6.Check Pulse
7.Give Compressions

When the AED portion is incorporated the algorithm changes to something like this for adults:

1.Determine Unresponsive
2.Activate the Emergency Response System & send for AED
3.Open Airway
5.Give two breathes
6.Check Pulse
7.Give Compressions
8*.Use AED

*-If un-witnessed perform 2 minutes of care before AED
*-If witnessed use AED immediately
Think of it as wanting the patient to have 'new' oxygenated blood before AED use.

If your instructor is incorporating the OPA/NPA then that step could be added after #3, but that isn't necissarily CPR. The thing most people forget, though, is calling for help or ALS if you are an EMT. Sometimes scene safety/BSI is added in like EMTinNEPA pointed out, but sometimes it is implied. Either way, never forget it! :)

On the witnessed, Only if bystanders started cpr or you just happened to be right there with an aed. how many codes have you been at where the Pt coded right in front of you? (unless you are in the back of the ambulance)

Last edited by a moderator:

reaper

Working Bum
On the witnessed, Only if bystanders started cpr or you just happened to be right there with an aed. how many codes have you been at where the Pt coded right in front of you? (unless you are in the back of the ambulance)

Actually, quite a few!;)

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief

Only seen one code right in front of me... Of course he had a hemoglobin level of 2ish... May have had something to do with it...:glare: