CPR when its not needed

Swimfinn

Forum Crew Member
NotDeadYet.jpg

onabemr

Forum Probie
*waves, first-posting*

I teach CPR regularly up here in Canada and apparently I'm much meaner than some of you, heh. I make my students do way, way more than 2-5 minutes of CPR...

:D

WedoAnnourn

Forum Probie
I am a retired OR nurse an I gotta agree with THern...you have GOT to understand there are worse ways to go than cardiac arrest. During SHTF, If I have any direct intel on the previous health of the patient and they had diabetes, TB, COPD or if they have massive blood loss are septic or if they are above 75 years, I would need a STRONG reason to start CPR. To the untrained this may seem cruel, to medical professionals its called triage. If at ALL possible, I would make that pt. and their family as comfortable as possible in their final moments together. I would expect/appreciate the EXACT same treatment of myself and family.

Sparky79

Forum Crew Member
I am a retired OR nurse an I gotta agree with THern...you have GOT to understand there are worse ways to go than cardiac arrest. During SHTF, If I have any direct intel on the previous health of the patient and they had diabetes, TB, COPD or if they have massive blood loss are septic or if they are above 75 years, I would need a STRONG reason to start CPR. To the untrained this may seem cruel, to medical professionals its called triage. If at ALL possible, I would make that pt. and their family as comfortable as possible in their final moments together. I would expect/appreciate the EXACT same treatment of myself and family.

It sounds like malpractice/negligence to me.

It's not your job to determine the value of your patients life. Your job is to treat your patients according to the accepted professional practices. Whether you feel they are worth saving or not, if your patient does not have a DNR withholding possible life saving procedures/interventions is criminal, IMO.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I agree with wedo but I also agree with sparky.

Yes, we do triage, is the elderly septic patient or advanced stage cancer patient (just examples) and their family going to appreciate you saving them so they can live on life support for a few more days or weeks? Maybe yes, maybe no.

At the same time, like sparky said, we're bound by our duty to act while at work. No valid DNR resuscitation must be started. We don't get to play god. Hell even physicians don't do that.

f the family requests we do not attempt to resuscitate the patient I have zero problems doing compressions only CPR and calling for termination orders while explaining to the family why I'm doing things the way I am. Hell worst comes to worst (family gets aggressive or violent with you) don't do anything, call a doc and explain the situation if its safe to do so or just leave, call for pd and call a doc as well.

I've run into it a few times and have yet to have a family be anything but appreciative and thankful for the way I cared for their loved on and respected their wishes.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere

I'm trained and that, without further explaination, is manslaughter. In fact, since it appeared here before it was done, 1st degree.

Denying basic care is not the same as not-starting on a decapitation...deucedly hard to get a mask seal on those....:ph34r:

DeepFreeze

Forum Lieutenant
It's not your job to determine the value of your patients life. Your job is to treat your patients according to the accepted professional practices. Whether you feel they are worth saving or not, if your patient does not have a DNR withholding possible life saving procedures/interventions is criminal, IMO.

I couldn't say it better myself sparky. Unless the pt has a DNR, or lividity or decapitated, I do what I've been trained to do. Sounds like someone is burnt out if they can't make that rational decision.

samiam

Amazing Member

This is absolutely inappropriate and is asking for a murder trial. You have a ethical and legal obligation to a patient unless there is a DNR or other document stating that lifesaving interventions are not wanted. What you are saying is that if my 78 year old grandfather took to much insulin one day and went into cardiac arrest you would do nothing for him? This is just un-ethical and ridiculous. I know plenty of people over 75 that are active and lively and would do just fine bouncing back from a MI or other condition that could be easily intervened upon and fixed. You have no right to play god and make these decisions for the patient.

Emtsgv

Forum Crew Member
I had a similar call while covering a marathon. A couple of guys started two-man cpr on a runner who fell. strangest damn thing to see.

this sounds like some EMT's i know from my old class

"im waiting for someone to drop AND IM DOING CPR"

rofl gotta love it