CPAP vs intubation for CHF

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
a little backstory on this call:

i just started a new part time job, in a new county, for awesome pay in an area that's not all that busy. It's a BLS 911 and IFT agency, handing BLS calls for the town and for calls meeting ALS criteria a paramedic flycar is requested from a hospital.

It was my first shift on the truck, and due to a scheduling snafu, I was assigned as a 3rd, instead of a 2nd. I was also informally educated about how the ALS agency's crews aren't the nicest to BLS crews, and has a bad habit of walking in and asking BLS crews "so are we cancelled????" on every call, and really giving crews a hard time on calls that they are not cancelled for that that don't obviously need an ALS assessment or intervention. Suffice it to say, I was a little disturbed by what I heard, but I'm a big boy, and every place has their quirks, so whatever.

and the night is dead. slooooow. we have 3 trucks on, and in 8 hours, neither truck has done anything. i'm crawling the walls from boredom. completely not used to this

Anyway, we get a call for a difficulty breathing. pt is an elderly gentleman from another country with a language barrier who is found sitting on the floor with a nebulizer in his mouth recieving a treatment. hx of copd, and htn, prescribed a combivent and htn meds which he hasn't taken all day. Pt is grossly diaphoretic, w/ JVD present. NRB is applied at 15 lpm, and patient immediately pulls it off.

my working diagnosis at this point is that he's in heart failure, and his lungs are full of fluid (based on my experience that I have seen people with CHF act exactly like this after they have flashed, since they feel like they are drowning). a quick BP is assessed, found to be 260+/140, and a listen to his lungs reveals rales all the way up on both sides. He is still fighting the NRB, and we are trying to get him to have it stay on. We get him into the stairchair, and carry him down the stairs to the ambulance, where the ALS are just arriving.

Now, I have a pretty sick patient, and don't want to deal with anyone asking me "so do you really need us?" Thankfully the medic is someone who I have known for 5 years, have worked on a BLS 911 truck together, and doesn't have that attitude at all. He asked for a report on what has happened, and what I think is going on, and I tell him, and they begin treating the patient

I'm thinking they are going to CPAP this (still conscious) patient. They establish IV access, give lasix, followed by 2 nitro sprays. still no cpap. an OPA is inserted, and the patient doesn't tolerate it. He is still sitting up on the cot w/ a gag reflex, and the paramedic says he is going to intubate the patient. I asked him if he wants to try cpap, and he tells me because he won't tolerate the NRB, CPAP isn't an option. They push versed and a sedative, and the medic does a face to face intubation, and we end up bagging the patient in a seated position until we get to the ER.

here are my questions: once you intubate a CHF patient w/ pulminary, should you lay the person down or keep them sitting up? does it matter? this is the first time i can recall bagging a sitting up person who was intubated.

on intubate vs CPAP, when is CPAP no longer an option on a conscious patient? when intubated, can a patient be easily extubated, or will they be on a vent for a while?

is it standard practice on CHF people that if a patient can't tolerate a NRB to immediately go to intubation?

not bad for my first call at the new place, and it turned out to be the only call for all 3 trucks for all 12 hours of the shift.

325Medic

Forum Lieutenant
At least in P.A....First we don't go straight to Lasix. We start serial NTG's with 1 off the bat followed by 3 if the pressure is still over 180 systolic. Thats besides the point. Also in P.A., we use Etomidate (not at the 2 squads I work because the M.D. does not like the profile by itself / for another discussion. I would have tried CPAP first. In our S.O.P.'s, the pt. needs to be...breathing (duh.lol) cooperative and maintaining an airway. As we both know. If we coach the pt. with a little man handling for a lack of a better term, they do get better. If I may ask. The pt. WAS tubed, right. I would prolly lay him in the semi-fowlers. I have down that in the past. I have also seen the E.D. give a little benzo to calm the pt. down with CPAP but that is not in our S.O.P.'s for fear of resp. depression. I have given CPAP with the same presentation / held the mask to their face with the NTG given and they did get better. I am sure we all have out way of doing things I suppose. If you want to see P.A.'s S.O.P.'s / protocols, P.A. DOH has statewide protocols. Are you south or north Jersey?

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Lol that medic you describe lost any value as a medic and any validity to anything he tries to explain to you the second he put in a OPA in a conscious patient. CPAP was totally appropriate and if he knew what he was doing he could have coached the patient to tolerate it along with valium/versed/ Insert whatever sedative you have to help him along.

Lasix....... Cant say it was indicated without more HX/PX findings and ETA to hospital.

325Medic

Forum Lieutenant
Lol that medic you describe lost any value as a medic and any validity to anything he tries to explain to you the second he put in a OPA in a conscious patient. CPAP was totally appropriate and if he knew what he was doing he could have coached the patient to tolerate it along with valium/versed/ Insert whatever sedative you have to help him along.

Lasix....... Cant say it was indicated without more HX/PX findings and ETA to hospital.

Lasix is under Medcomm orders only now and will prolly be taken off the S.O.P.'s. We use lots of NTG and ACE inhibitors (enalapril) and that works. I have seen medics that are older than me (and I was taught this way years ago) that have given 200mg of Lasix and it turned out to be pneumonia also. Those same medics also complain when the D.O.H. takes meds. off the list. Such as Lasix and Atrpine for asystole. They don't look @ the reasoning behind it and still embace the year 1990.

hibiti87

Forum Crew Member
regards to the question of bagging while in the seated position. The patients issue was inadequate perfusion due to fluid in his lungs, bagging while in the seated position decreases the areas of the lungs affected by this fluid.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
If the patient is conscious and alert, and they can maintain their airway, they should be put on CPAP. From where I'm standing, that patient was mismanaged. Just because a patient won't keep a NRB on, does not mean they aren't eligible for CPAP.

Like others have said, that patient should have been put on CPAP, and coached their breathing. A little Versed would have helped as well if it's allowed.

OP
OP
DrParasite

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
regards to the question of bagging while in the seated position. The patients issue was inadequate perfusion due to fluid in his lungs, bagging while in the seated position decreases the areas of the lungs affected by this fluid.
I never thought of it that way.... makes sense.
If the patient is conscious and alert, and they can maintain their airway, they should be put on CPAP. From where I'm standing, that patient was mismanaged. Just because a patient won't keep a NRB on, does not mean they aren't eligible for CPAP.

Like others have said, that patient should have been put on CPAP, and coached their breathing. A little Versed would have helped as well if it's allowed.
I think (and I'm speculating, not a medic nor was it my call) the issue was that he was combative and probably hypoxic (with a language barrier, it was hard to tell how alert the patient was), hence the reason the choice was to intubate vs CPAP. But I was thinking CPAP too, and was surprised when they went straight to intubation.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I might have tried a brief CPAP trial with some coaching. That said, anxiety, agitation and claustrophobia are suspicious for respiratory failure and enough to buy a tube. Without being there I'm not gonna second guess the guy.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I never thought of it that way.... makes sense.

I think (and I'm speculating, not a medic nor was it my call) the issue was that he was combative and probably hypoxic (with a language barrier, it was hard to tell how alert the patient was), hence the reason the choice was to intubate vs CPAP. But I was thinking CPAP too, and was surprised when they went straight to intubation.

I forgot about the language barrier, I suppose that is a bit more suspect for respiratory failure. However, I still think a trial of CPAP was warranted before pulling the trigger on intubation. I will admit though, that I probably shouldn't have said this patient was mismanaged, I let the initial description of the medics jade my opinion a bit.

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
Define this patients consciousness. Talking or just eyes open? I kind of have a hard time believing that anyone (medic or otherwise) would try to place an OPA in someone who is able to talk. Part of me wonders if they had reason to believe that the patient lost consciousness. Otherwise, it is certainly a "WTF" inducing action.

As far as CPAP versus ETI... it can be a tough call for a patient in extremis and it sounds as if the patient may have been in that grey area where one could argue either way. If the patient was that uncooperative (likely due to hypoxia), attempts at "coaching" will likely be futile. I've found that once patients are tearing things off, they're usually (but not always) beyond the point of CPAP being helpful. Is it worth letting the patient remain hypoxic while fighting to keep them on O2 (either via CPAP or NRB) while waiting for sedative to kick in (which could potentially put them into further respiratory failure) when you can have them out and paralyzed in a matter of seconds and bagging them while prepping for ETI? Tough to say without having been there.

The face-to-face ETI was a pretty boss move, though.

Sucks to hear about ALS' gneral treatment of BLS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
I might have tried a brief CPAP trial with some coaching. That said, anxiety, agitation and claustrophobia are suspicious for respiratory failure and enough to buy a tube. Without being there I'm not gonna second guess the guy.

Even if you elect to (properly) RSI this patient without CPAP first...you're still going to need to preoxygenate with a BVM. CPAP is just a handy BVM if they're breathing on their own.

If you have time for a versed intubation, you have time for versed/ativan + NTG + CPAP, no?

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Even if you elect to (properly) RSI this patient without CPAP first...you're still going to need to preoxygenate with a BVM. CPAP is just a handy BVM if they're breathing on their own.
Depends. I've taken care of the patient where preoxygenation took place post-induction (think Braude's DAI without a King) because all other attempts failed.

If you have time for a versed intubation, you have time for versed/ativan + NTG + CPAP, no?
Ehhh, perhaps. I also know a lot of very good clinicians who get very nervous about giving a patient in respiratory failure a benzo without being ready to tube them.

I'm not saying the other way is not superior if it works. Most of my fulminant CHF patients get 1.2mgs of NTG under the tongue, a CPAP mask and a NTG infusion. But I've also pulled the trigger on intubation early in the process before because things just didn't look right.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Its Jersey? No wonder ALS expexts to be cancelled.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
Depends. I've taken care of the patient where preoxygenation took place post-induction (think Braude's DAI without a King) because all other attempts failed.

I think I agree in practice, provided you've reached that point. Regardless, during the time it takes to setup for RSI/RSA at least some pre-ox can occur.

Ehhh, perhaps. I also know a lot of very good clinicians who get very nervous about giving a patient in respiratory failure a benzo without being ready to tube them.

It's much safer to give a low dose to chill them out than it is to perform a "facilitated intubation". Drug assisted intubation that isn't RSI/RSA has a much higher complication rate.

I'm not saying the other way is not superior if it works. Most of my fulminant CHF patients get 1.2mgs of NTG under the tongue, a CPAP mask and a NTG infusion. But I've also pulled the trigger on intubation early in the process before because things just didn't look right.

I too agree that early RSI/RSA is definitely indicated in your crashing Pulm Edema patient. I think we're on the same page.

My point was if you're going to intubate and a trial of CPAP didn't happen then you gave a benzo-OD (I'm sorry, "facilitated") before intubation...then it probably isn't being done right.

Trashtruck

Forum Captain
I can't criticize his decision. The guy sounds like he's circling the drain quickly with pulling the NRBM from the start.
Like 325 said, the struggling pt. may struggle against you as you struggle back to help them. You need to win that struggle for their sake(it may not be pretty, but...oh well. Sometimes 'coaching' the pt to leave the CPAP on isn't gentle)
However, sometimes they are beyond the point of CPAP. My guess is that by the time you got the pt in the stairchair and got him out, all while not tolerating an NRBM coupled with being strapped to a chair and being jarred out of a house, he probably developed that stare off into space look that the medic recognized immediately and decided to forego the futile effort of placing the pt on CPAP. More of a cut-to-the-chase decision.

The OPA??? I have no clue what that was about.

Don't lay somebody down with pulmonary edema. I forget who said it, but you're just covering more surface area of the lungs with the bad stuff, leaving less lung to get the good stuff. I know, I know...spoken like a true professional!

ah2388

Forum Lieutenant
What medicsb said imo.

I think a trial of CPAP is warranted if at all possible, but this pt does appear to be deteriorating and I cant question the judgement of someone else without having more information and/or being there.

jroyster06

Forum Crew Member
I would have tried a benzo with CPAP if that didnt work its time to intubate. I think it really comes down to pt presentation and transport time. Obviously pt presented as..... "crappy." Once they start the head bobbing thing its usually time to intubate and be ahead of the game rather than to have a crash airway situation. I have intubated the CHFer head bobbing and i have also started them on CPAP. Its hard to armchair this one because it all really depends on your gut feeling on presentation. And here we have a minimum transport of 45 min so we probably RSI more often than a City service.

BLS Systems Limited

Verified Vendor

Interesting point. The topic of Narcan has been discussed a fair bit but does anyone carry flumazenil as a benzo antagonist?

Doczilla

Forum Captain
I havent seen or heard about it yet in EMS, and its even used sparingly in the ER. Reversing acute benzo OD is more dangerous than acute opiate OD.

That being said, you have a decent amount of play with benzos if you titrate carefully.

Theres always a .25-.5mg/kg hit of ketamine, too. Just watch for hypertension. Chase with 2mg or so of versed too.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Would anyone have considered NTI as opposed to ETI in this case? For whatever reason, the provider elected away from CPAP, but wanted a secured airway. For a patient who is breathing spontaneously, doesn't this seems more prudent than MAI/RSI?