Couldnt lift the stretcher completely on first day

EMTbasicGirl

Forum Probie
So embarrassed. We were practing with a stretcher a d dummy and I couldn't lift all the way up. I'm scared this is going to be held against me. Just started the job. 1st time ever lifting a stretched.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Practice. Practice. Practice. It takes a little bit of time to get comfortable with the gurney. Make sure you are using proper lifting techniques. If your still having issues then you may need to strengthen up. Also don't be afraid to ask for help when lifting.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Practice. Practice. Practice. It takes a little bit of time to get comfortable with the gurney. Make sure you are using proper lifting techniques. If your still having issues then you may need to strengthen up. Also don't be afraid to ask for help when lifting.

THIS! You don't want to ruin your career in the first month because you needed a little extra help. Old gurneys have quirks, and you may need to get used to them.

If you think it's a "I just need to be a little stronger" issue, find a gym and begin a program. I'm sure someone in your agency will help you.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Standard job requirements are to lift 125# by yourself, and 250# with assistance. If the comined weight of the patient and the stretcher or stair chair exceeds 250#, or if egress from the residence is tricky, then it's appropriate to call for help. Otherwise, it's unreasonable to call for help for every other patient that you run. That can be fixed with strength training, particularly deadlifts, olympic style front squats, and rows.

Stamey95

Forum Probie
I found that the most difficult part was technique, not strength. At first I was barely able to lift anything but my preceptor really helped my technique. I also had problems getting it up all the way. I could lift it the first few clicks but not enough to get it in the rig. What worked for me until my arms got stronger was to get it up as high as I could and then stop, put my feet closer together and bend my knees. You have to use a combination of standing on your tippy toes, shrugging your shoulders, and curling your arms. Between all of that it worked for me. Now I can be on the back and lift someone well over 300 lbs without hurting my back. Just keep working on it until you learn which techniques work for you and which don't. I don't know if any of that made sense but I hope it helps! Good luck!

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
were you trying to do everything in 1 step or motion? or did you make the lift in a couple or more phases?

I used to have a partner that was very tiny. She wasn't able to take the stretcher from ground to up in one motion. We would do it in 2 or 3 depending on the situation. Communication and teamwork are very important. Don't hurt yourself trying to show off or trying to keep up with others(not saying you are doing this). Know your limits and adapt. Strength training can greatly help as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
For me, (5'2") I can't get the cot all the way up in one step, but doing it in two steps makes all the difference in the world. I have never had a problem lifting doing it in two steps.

Practice practice practice. You'll get it.

hogwiley

Forum Captain
You never lifted a stretcher in EMT school?

Assuming you are using the right technique and lifting with your legs, keeping your back straight, gripping the cot properly, tighten your abs as you lift. the only other thing to do is hit the weights and eat the right food to help you build strength quickly.

Being able to lift your end of the cot is a job requirement, amazing how many people get through EMT school and don't seem to realize this. People aren't getting any lighter these days.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

Assuming you are using the right technique and lifting with your legs, keeping your back straight, gripping the cot properly, tighten your abs as you lift. the only other thing to do is hit the weights and eat the right food to help you build strength quickly.

Being able to lift your end of the cot is a job requirement, amazing how many people get through EMT school and don't seem to realize this. People aren't getting any lighter these days.
i never used a stretcher until my first day on the job. some schools don't do that since not every service uses the same cot

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

Several services do not allow students to handle the stretcher . Also, as mentioned there are a variety of stretchers out there.

hogwiley

Forum Captain
i never used a stretcher until my first day on the job. some schools don't do that since not every service uses the same cot

I understand that's the case, and I think its wrong. One of the things the Fire service gets right is the fact that in their training a big emphasis is placed on physical fitness and being able to physically do the job.

Yet in EMS there is absolutely zero attention paid in some schools to one of the most important aspects of the job. I mean if you cant do the lifting, you are pretty much useless as an EMT.

Can it be overcome? Of course, most people end up learning on the job, but seeing as EMT school is supposed to prepare you for the job I don't see why it doesn't get more attention.

blachatch

Forum Lieutenant

Same here I think we did it once in EMT School, students were not allowed to operate the cot during medic ride time either due to liability reasons. So between EMT and medic school I maybe operated a cot once.:unsure: