Could use a little CPR help

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I understand, but like I said I wouldn't ask if I wasn't looking for some help in understanding. My instructor wasn't/isn't much help.

My class was pretty much read out of your text book, then answer some basic questions.

Don't ever be ashamed or feel it's unnecessary to ask questions. How else will you learn?

I am now attempting to gain a better understanding of the hows and whys as opposed to the "do it because the text says to."

Good for you! That's a very good attitude to have. Don't lose it.

OP
OP
G

Gothemi

Forum Probie
Thank you that does help. Our assigned book for my class was the Mosbys EMT-Basic 2nd edition. Not a great book IMO.

I am not trying to blame the book or class, but I have found several contraditions between the book and the AHA.

Ie; provide art. vent. and chest compressions on infant with pulse less than 80, where AHA states less than 60.

Check pulse after delievery of shock

and so on.

I was supposed to take my NREMT today, but have since rescheduled as I don't feel 100% ready in light of these and other issues.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
CPR is some of the meat and potatoes of being an EMT. Sitting through another 4 hour CPR class at the AHA won't hurt you and you will get more hands on experience to perfect the information and skills. You may also get a decent instructor who knows a little about CPR. The more times you do it in a practice session the more it will start to make sense. Just memorizing a few words for a test will not be of much help when it counts once you are faced with a situation requiring CPR.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Thank you that does help. Our assigned book for my class was the Mosbys EMT-Basic 2nd edition. Not a great book IMO.

I am not trying to blame the book or class, but I have found several contraditions between the book and the AHA.

Ie; provide art. vent. and chest compressions on infant with pulse less than 80, where AHA states less than 60.

Check pulse after delievery of shock

and so on.

I was supposed to take my NREMT today, but have since rescheduled as I don't feel 100% ready in light of these and other issues.

I would say almost always go with what the AHA says when it comes to CPR. It's their specialty.

imurphy

Forum Captain
To the OP.

This is a question that people get wrong in all levels be it CPR, EMT, Paramedic or ACLS. The simple reason is you are reading too much into the question.

The question is asking you of the correct use of an AED. The question assumes that you have already assertained the need for AED use. The question is about AED specifically, not about CPR.

The correct answer is:

Power on the AED, Apply Pads, Analyze Rythm, and Shock if indicated.

Hope this helps

zmedic

Forum Captain
As somebody else said, the 2 minutes of CPR is the case if the response time is greater than 4-5 minutes. If it's less than that (from time of collapse to patient contact), I believe you should just use the AED ASAP. SOMEBODY CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG.

That's right, but to emphasize if you are responding to a 911 call you should be expecting to do CPR first. When you figure the time it takes for someone to realize there is a problem, call 911, dispatch to sort out what's up, you to get toned and moving etc there is almost no way you are there in 4 minutes from collapse. I'm just pointing this out because I feel like there are some people who say "it only took us 5 minutes to get there, so we went to shock," not thinking about how long it took to get things moving.

If they go down in front of you that's pretty much the only time you should start with a shock. Easier to think that way than try to time your response time.

gamma6

Forum Crew Member
field vs. book, 2 totally different monsters..for testing use the book.

witnessed: shock em
unwitnessed: 2 min cpr then defib em

only if in v-fib or pulseless v-tach!

asystole (fine v-fib) :well you'll only shock em once. (joke)

claytondirk

Forum Probie
field vs. book, 2 totally different monsters..for testing use the book.

witnessed: shock em
unwitnessed: 2 min cpr then defib em

only if in v-fib or pulseless v-tach!

asystole (fine v-fib) :well you'll only shock em once. (joke)

could not have said it any better my self you will get in the field you will learn how much different things really are.

gamma6

Forum Crew Member
thank you...finally some one that agrees....

being in the field you will learn tricks of the trade that you will never learn in the book or cpr class......that you are never in perfect world in the field

if you don't think it will go wrong, it will go wrong...ajust to the situation....

EMTecBOB

Forum Probie
On my AED skill sheet, there was nothing about preventing stacked shocks. I did not think we did stacked shocks anymore.

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
On my AED skill sheet, there was nothing about preventing stacked shocks. I did not think we did stacked shocks anymore.

no more stacked shocks, if your AED sheet says that its outdated

reaper

Working Bum
Some of the older AED's still do stacked shocks. They would have to have the software updated to change that.