Corruption in my district?

MissouriEMS

Forum Ride Along
I am an EMT and Paramedic student (2 months left!) in central Missouri and I have worked at the same district since I became an EMT 3 & 1/2 years ago.
Things have always seemed unstable financially for the district but lately i've been getting the feeling that things aren't as they seem.

First off, we're a tax based district but we get almost nothing from taxes as we operate in a town with no major retailers or anything substantial to tax (population of 3000)
We're also non-profit.

We run two crews 24/7. one ALS truck staffed by a paramedic and EMT, and a BLS truck staffed by 2 EMTS. The BLS truck acts as a backup for 911 calls and also handles many transfers from a nearby hospital. We run around 1200 calls a year give or take a couple hundred.

So here is the reason I'm starting to suspect some sort of corruption or stealing, or "something" that's not right.
First off, we have board members who have had 1 meeting in the last 3 years. Also, 2 of the board seats are currently empty and have been for as long as I can remember.
The "financial officer" is also the town mayor and the owner of a local "bi-weekly loans" business.

We recently bought a new truck, which took us over a year and a half to get as something went wrong with the loan process. We were driving a hand-me-down 1986 ford van style ambulance that the district had to buy in a pinch when our other truck broke down (which was also 2nd hand from the hospital)

About 6 months ago the purchase of the truck was delayed again because the IRS had put a hold on the stations bank account for back taxes. anyways the truck was finally here and things were looking up after they got the IRS thing taken care of (had something to do with $50,000 in back taxes)

now, 2 weeks ago we got paid on friday. The boss told us to wait a couple of hours because the financial officer was moving money around, something to do with moving the districts bank account to a new bank. I made it to their bank and they refused to cash it, saying there was insufficient funds in the districts bank account!
I was told it had something to do with payroll taxes and the bank putting a levy on the account. They said it was at the fault of our bookkeeping which they fired and hired a new one afterwards.
I went to my boss and after running around I deposited the check into my bank as they told me it would be good by the time it was put through. 4 days later the check bounced and money was deducted from my checking (plus a $19 return check fee)
My bank ended up saying it would take a week before i got it back so my boss got a new check written for me.

So I took it to their bank (i was told everything was fixed at this point and there was 50k+ in the districts account) and they refused to cash it again, saying there was insufficient funds!!

Later that day it ended up getting fixed and I got paid (2 days before the next payday!)

This is just one small debacle that has recently happened.

My position at this district is defined as "part time" although I work 3 shifts of 24 hours a week (72 hours total per week).
I go in, check the truck, and put down 1 "regular" hour, and 24 "on-call" hours on my time sheet.

We are paid $40 for the total shift, and then $10/hr for any call we run.
We get no vacation, no sick time, no insurance. no benefits AT ALL.

the district has 2 "full time" EMT's which are salaried and run strictly 911 calls (average about 1 per day) they stay at the station from 8am to 4pm and then go home if they live in town. They get vacation, insurance, the works.
Now 1 of these salaried EMTs are not even working anymore. She was diagnosed with cancer and is currently trying to get on disability, but is still on the payroll so that she gets her regular paycheck and insurance benefits without working. She comes in once every 2 weeks, just to get her free pay check. The boss fills out her time sheet as if she's working, and then the "part-time" employees work the shift for half of what she is paid.

Between the shady IRS problems, bouncing checks, bank levies, missing board members, no board meetings, and people on the payroll who aren't working there just has to be something amiss.

My boss once mentioned that the district brings in about $500,000 a year, and that $300,000 of it was payroll.
I only made $20,000 last year so I have no clue where the rest went, or why the district is always broke.

Does anyone else think there is more going on behind the scenes? and who would I even get in touch with to have it investigated?
Our patient care is fantastic, but the administrative side of this district smells fishy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Voodoo1

Forum Crew Member
It sounds off to me too. Could you go up the'food chain' say to a county commish? or to your state governer and ask for an inquiry?

OP
OP
M

MissouriEMS

Forum Ride Along
That's what i'm wondering.
I think MEMSA does the inspections and issues the state ground ambulance licenses, and Missouri department of health and senior services issues the individual EMT and paramedic license.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Between the shady IRS problems, bouncing checks, bank levies, missing board members, no board meetings, and people on the payroll who aren't working there just has to be something amiss.

Your assessment of the situation seems accurate. It's time to make sure you are no longer part of this problem.

Run, Forest, Run!

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
The moment paychecks start bouncing it's time to go elsewhere. I'll put up with a lot, but I'm not wiling to work for free.

nwhitney

Forum Captain
I worked as a brewer for awhile and we had to beg to get our paychecks (usually 2 days late) often they asked us to wait to deposit them. I had 3 paychecks bounce. There were many other red flags going on as well. Something wrong is going on with your district. I would suggest documenting what you see, hear, ect. I would also suggest going outside of the district rather than reporting this to someone inside. Perhaps the state department of justice or similar agency. You'll probably have to give them your name and since it's such a small district your boss will probably figure it was you who reported them and you may lose your job. Be prepared for that but also know it's the right thing to do. Make sure you aren't doing anything that could possibly be construed as unethical or illegal. Good luck.

Cup of Joe

Forum Captain
$40 for a 24hr shift. That's a tiny bit over $1.66/hour. I understand the large amount of EMTs out there and that these jobs aren't worth much, but that amount is an insult.

I would definitely report your problems to the state, but I would not point fingers directly at the organization or city for corruption. I would make it seem like the city and organization are completely broke and as a result, the workers are paying the price. They shouldn't be able to fire you for complaining to the state that you're getting paid way under minimum wage.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Sounds like they are using the "on call" pay as an excuse to pay less hence the overall low pay. I don't much about the legalities but I've heard of a few services doing this that got hammered for it in court and had to cough large amounts of back pay. And the chick getting paid for not being there sounds fishy also.

Id report to which ever state agency handles pay issues and begin looking for a way out but setting yourself up with a new job somewhere else.

---
- Sent from my electronic overbearing life controller

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Sounds like they are using the "on call" pay as an excuse to pay less hence the overall low pay. I don't much about the legalities but I've heard of a few services doing this that got hammered for it in court and had to cough up large amounts of back pay. And the chick getting paid for not being there sounds fishy also.

Id report to which ever state agency handles pay issues and begin looking for a way out but setting yourself up with a new job somewhere else.

---

---

OP
OP
M

MissouriEMS

Forum Ride Along
$40 for a 24hr shift. That's a tiny bit over $1.66/hour. I understand the large amount of EMTs out there and that these jobs aren't worth much, but that amount is an insult.

I would definitely report your problems to the state, but I would not point fingers directly at the organization or city for corruption. I would make it seem like the city and organization are completely broke and as a result, the workers are paying the price. They shouldn't be able to fire you for complaining to the state that you're getting paid way under minimum wage.

Yeah, the shift is considered "on-call" for 24 hours, but your still stuck at the station for the entire 24 hours because you can't leave city limits.

I'm not worried about the pay, as I think if the other problems were fixed, the district would have the money to pay their employees better. I sometimes wonder if I should even bother pursuing this, as I have no intention of working here when I receive my medic license.

I feel bad for the other part-time employees that are under me, who work solely on the BLS truck. One EMT who is on right now is on her 4th 24 hour shift this week and has only made $270 for all 4 shifts as no transfers have come in the last couple of days and she's only got 7 hours on top of her shift pay.

It's just comical that if this district were to have a walk-in in the middle of the night, they are greeted by the EMT that's not even being paid to be there, while the EMT and Paramedic who are being paid a salaried amount to respond to all 911 calls are at home sleeping.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
This on call nonsense doesn't sound legal to me. Unless, of course, you signed a contract agreeing to it.

My advice, as other people have said: Run, run fast and run far.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
if you are on call and not salary, than technically you are not forced to be there.

as for the EMT who is on her 4th 24 with no transports, well, she knew what she was getting into right? i mean, that's the downside to working in a show system, you might not get any runs. and it's not like she didn't know what she was getting into when she accepted the position.

Do I think it sucks? absolutely. Do I think you are working for less than you are worth? sure. is it illegal? ehhhh, probably not. would I suggest everyone start looking for new jobs that pay hourly, instead of on call? absolutely.

OP
OP
M

MissouriEMS

Forum Ride Along
if you are on call and not salary, than technically you are not forced to be there.

as for the EMT who is on her 4th 24 with no transports, well, she knew what she was getting into right? i mean, that's the downside to working in a show system, you might not get any runs. and it's not like she didn't know what she was getting into when she accepted the position.

Do I think it sucks? absolutely. Do I think you are working for less than you are worth? sure. is it illegal? ehhhh, probably not. would I suggest everyone start looking for new jobs that pay hourly, instead of on call? absolutely.

Maybe i'm interpreting the law or our duties wonrg, but according to the US DOL -
Waiting Time: Time employees spend waiting rather than
performing their principal activities may constitute hours worked
depending on the circumstances. The basic test is whether the
employee is “engaged to wait” or “waiting to be engaged.” “Engaged
to wait” time is compensable time because it is controlled by
the employer. “Waiting to be engaged” time is not compensable
if the employee is duty-free and can use the time for his own
purpose. An example of “Engaged to Wait” is a secretary who
does a crossword puzzle while waiting for a rewrite on a memo.
The rule also applies to employees who work away from the
plant or office. For example, a cable installer is working while he
waits for his employer’s customer to get the premises ready.

They also define on-call as:
(a) General. Periods during which an employee is completely relieved from duty and which are long enough to enable him to use the time effectively for his own purposes are not hours worked. He is not completely relieved from duty and cannot use the time effectively for his own purposes unless he is definitely told in advance that he may leave the job and that he will not have to commence work until a definitely specified hour has arrived. Whether the time is long enough to enable him to use the time effectively for his own purposes depends upon all of the facts and circumstances of the case.

Because we must stay within city limits per our boss, and be able to respond to 911 calls within 7 minutes, we are never relieved of our duty. Obviously, we are also never given a "definitely specified hour" that we'll have to return since we are waiting for tones to drop or for a transfer to come in.

That's just what i'm interpreting from the US department of labor's definitions and policies in the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)

It may also explain why this is the only station that pays like this. Everyone else around here get's paid minimum wage for the 24 hours, and then a "bonus" for each transfer.

DrParasite

no offense, but I don't give a damn about your interpretation of the and you shouldn't give a damn about my interpretation of it. the reason is simple: neither opinion really matters.

There are only two interpretations that actually matter. the first is your employers, because that is how they run their business. if you don't like what they have to say, why not call the department of labor and ask them? their opinion and investigative abilities will help correct your employer's action if they are misinterpreting something. and you can even call anonymously.

Here is your state's contact info:

Division of Labor Standards
Wage and Hour Section
3315 W. Truman Boulevard, Room 205
PO Box 449
Jefferson City, MO 65102-0449
Phone: (573) 751-3403
Fax: (573) 751-3721
E-mail us at: laborstandards@labor.mo.gov

or you can ask the Feds what they think

St. Louis District Office
US Dept. of Labor
Wage & Hour Division
1222 Spruce Street
Room 9.102B
St. Louis, MO 63103-2830

or if you are in the western half of the state

Kansas City District Office
US Dept. of Labor
Wage & Hour Division
Gateway Tower II
400 State Avenue
Suite 1010
Kansas City, KS 66101-2414

traumaluv2011

Forum Lieutenant
That does suck. We have a bit of issues going on in our squad. There is one member who got struck by a vehicle a few months ago, he is fine now, but he doesn't have a doctor's note saying he can practice. Might I also add that he is like 75 years old. He shows up to a bunch of calls and thinks he can still do things. Then when we tell him that he can't do anything, he flips out and threatens to find something in the by-laws about it and sue us. Good times.

DrParasite

That does suck. We have a bit of issues going on in our squad. There is one member who got struck by a vehicle a few months ago, he is fine now, but he doesn't have a doctor's note saying he can practice. Might I also add that he is like 75 years old. He shows up to a bunch of calls and thinks he can still do things. Then when we tell him that he can't do anything, he flips out and threatens to find something in the by-laws about it and sue us. Good times.
wait until he gets hurt again, and then sues you for him getting hurt, and for your allowing him to show up on calls and do stuff despite his doctor not clearing him to practice.

traumaluv2011

Forum Lieutenant
He doesn't even have a doctor's note to drive. If he shows up at the building, we call the captain and he comes down and tells him he can't go on calls. He must have like Alzheimer's or something.

traumaluv2011

Forum Lieutenant
Speaking of rabbits, he talks like Elmer Fudd from the bugs Bunny cartoons (you know using w instead of r). I can't help but laugh.

AUSEMT

Forum Probie
Speaking of rabbits, he talks like Elmer Fudd from the bugs Bunny cartoons (you know using w instead of r). I can't help but laugh.

true, but you gotta love the characters n plot.... sure real life doesnt have random explosions and mascal's every tuesday, but its the best ive seen so far in terms of hollywood.... yeh, ok so he does speak like Fudd, but he has a very cool chest rig...:p