Contra Costa 911 System

EMT Loris

Forum Probie
Hey everybody!
So I'm one of many EMTs that have recently been hired on to Coco AMR and was just wondering if anybody has any insight or advice from working in the system.
Have there been any major changes since the new contract with fire (besides the cool wraps and new patches)? Any info in general is appreciated!

k9Dog

Forum Crew Member
Loris,

The only major change is that dispatch was moved from AMR Sacramento to fire station 2 on Geary rd in Walnut creek (con fire dispatch). The new dispatch system along with the new iPads pretty much suck, so you'll hear lots of b*tching about that. Otherwise, nothing has changed at all besides the look of rigs and patches. The main changes are on the upper end and have to sue with billing and money.

Advice is to learn your area, learn the hospitals, don't try to clear the hospital too early (medics hate this) and carry your own equipment (don't expect fire to carry everything out for you). Also learn how to lift correctly and pull your own weight. Make sure you arrive early and grab the equipment and complete the DAL and other check outs. Offer to tech BLS calls (some medics are thankful but some like to tech all calls). Don't be lazy, don't be bad driver or dangerous driver. Keep your uniform tucked in and look professional (con fire will notice, even if they don't say anything). And keep a positive attitude, don't start hating on AMR cuz you hear the others doing it like its the thing to do. They have great equipment, and pay pretty decent wages at the end of day. Be patient with dispatch. Good luck to you.

OP
OP
E

EMT Loris

Forum Probie
Loris,

The only major change is that dispatch was moved from AMR Sacramento to fire station 2 on Geary rd in Walnut creek (con fire dispatch). The new dispatch system along with the new iPads pretty much suck, so you'll hear lots of b*tching about that. Otherwise, nothing has changed at all besides the look of rigs and patches. The main changes are on the upper end and have to sue with billing and money.

Advice is to learn your area, learn the hospitals, don't try to clear the hospital too early (medics hate this) and carry your own equipment (don't expect fire to carry everything out for you). Also learn how to lift correctly and pull your own weight. Make sure you arrive early and grab the equipment and complete the DAL and other check outs. Offer to tech BLS calls (some medics are thankful but some like to tech all calls). Don't be lazy, don't be bad driver or dangerous driver. Keep your uniform tucked in and look professional (con fire will notice, even if they don't say anything). And keep a positive attitude, don't start hating on AMR cuz you hear the others doing it like its the thing to do. They have great equipment, and pay pretty decent wages at the end of day. Be patient with dispatch. Good luck to you.
Thanks a lot for the info and advice! Have iPads replaced toughbooks then?

Tony Ippolito

Forum Probie
Dude what?? I worked there when it was rural metro. Right when it changed to them. That's nuts. We all knew it would change back

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Dude what?? I worked there when it was rural metro. Right when it changed to them. That's nuts. We all knew it would change back
Rural/Metro never had the 911 contract in Contra Costa. They did do IFT there though. I am not sure if they are operating under the AMR name in Contra Costa yet. I still see Rural/Metro's rigs driving out there. I am assuming that @k9Dog is talking about the CoCo 911 system. You may have did IFT at Rural/Metro CoCo/Pacheco.

k9Dog

Forum Crew Member
Rural metro is owned by AMR now but nothing has changed at the field level. They're doing IFT and have the kaiser contract. The coco911 system does not do IFT or have BLS

Tony Ippolito

Forum Probie
Yeah I was thinking Santa Clara county. I used to work in coco with Rm when they first opened.
Talk about a mess. Bunch of new emts with no fto training whatsoever. Cool call diversity though. We took it over from AMR and they were super salty. Buy they got it back I guess!

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Even though Rural/Metro was purchased by Envision (AMR's parent company), there hasn't been a lot of change with Rural/Metro IFT (Santa Clara, Alameda, and Contra Costa) or their 911 in Santa Clara from what I've heard or seen from a field employee perspective. There are some changes, but not a lot.

k9Dog

Forum Crew Member
Yeah AMR was salty cause a lot of guys in IFT were laid off. Some were 25-30 year EMTs. Some went to ALS side, but some were unable to transfer.