considering paramedic...

c-spine

Forum Lieutenant
I'm considering taking the Paramedic program in January (assuming it's not too late to get in)... but I'm not quite sure. I love working with people, and (without trying to sound arrogant or what-have-you), I think I'm pretty good with patient care; but ... I'm not sure.

Can you guys convince me either way? Or at least help me decide? lol... I know a lot of my friends are going on, and that would definitely be a BIG help - working with people I already know and all... and I know the instructors are top-quality - (the night class, anyway) as they've got an 80% pass rate.

Help?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
How long have you been a basic for now?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Short and simple if you want to be a Paramedic, then be one. If you have to ask it appears you don't have the desire. It is a whole lot more than wanting to work with people.

Get your education if you decide to go to be a Paramedic. Many overrate experience, although its nice, one can always obtain it after the go through the education program. Opportunities to get a job is more available and you can gather medic experience as well.

Good luck,
R/r 911

OP
OP
c-spine

c-spine

Forum Lieutenant
Honestly... I just got through my Basic program. I'm always looking to improve and better myself. I've decided to go on to Paramedic right away. I've got the desire, I just over-think things.

:)

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
c-spine said:
Honestly... I just got through my Basic program. I'm always looking to improve and better myself. I've decided to go on to Paramedic right away. I've got the desire, I just over-think things.

:)
I'd do it now then. The more you put it off, the more you'll forget. One of my regrets is not doing a refresher course every year. I've forgotten so much of the medical stuff.

OP
OP
c-spine

c-spine

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah - I plan on it. Just gotta get the registration form thing and get 'er filled out. I've got a friend of mine who's more than willing to help me through the class if I need the extra help - he's a medic already.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
c-spine said:
Yeah - I plan on it. Just gotta get the registration form thing and get 'er filled out. I've got a friend of mine who's more than willing to help me through the class if I need the extra help - he's a medic already.

A wise medic gave me this advice once: "To be a good paramedic, you should be an excellent EMT."

I would try to get in as many hours & patient contacts as you possibly can before moving on to another level. The experience & stuff will greatly benefit you in the long run. That's what I plan to do. ;-)

OP
OP
c-spine

c-spine

Forum Lieutenant
-nod-

I just got the results from my written and my NREMT card. I'm really excited! Now I can apply for my state license. yay!!!

VinBin

Forum Captain
Yea, like ridryder said, experience isn't everything. Some people say that you need 1-2yrs of basic to enter medic, which is plain wrong. IF you are sure its what you want, hurry up and get in.

Also, while I didn't have too much experience before I started my Medic class, I started working part time at the same time, and its really good to be able to apply what you learn in class in real situations. I've found that those that have no contact with the EMS field in their life (other than clincals) tend to struggle more.