Confusion about recertification

Kaleb Griffin

Forum Crew Member
I am not an EMT...yet. I am taking my course this summer though. I've been trying to figure out how all the recertification **** works. I know that there has to be continuing education hours completed, skill competencies, and be actively working. First off, I plan to let my NREMT lapse and just keep my Ohio certification (a lot less CE hours, Ohio doesn't require to keep it, and I don't plan on moving). So that leaves just 24 CE hours to complete. Can all of these be done online? Or could I just do an online 24 hour refresher course? Or does some of it have to be completed in person? As far as actively working, I plan to volunteer; but I work as an ER tech right now, so would that be considered "working/using skills of an EMT"? For skills competencies checks, if I just keep my job as an ER tech, how am I supposed to do these checks? Can I just go to a local FD/life squad to get checked or are there certain classes to do this?

The whole recertification process seems like it's going to be more of a pain in the *** than the actual course. Thanks to all who view and reply!

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
First off, it's a very poor idea to let your national registry lapse. Your closing a lot of doors. Even if your state does not require it, a lot of employers do.

You get continuing education classes through courses and refreshers. You can't count your current job as continuing education. Fire departments, EMS companies, and hospitals often host classes that you can attend to get hours logged.

Additionally, nothing you do now counts as you don't even have your EMT. But judging by the fact your saying your going to let your national registry lapse, are already trying to weasel your way out of mandatory continuing education, and already complaining about the process- you sound extremely lazy and I doubt you will even pass an EMT course with your attitude.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
First off, I plan to let my NREMT
Very bad idea until you find your "career" dept/ company.

Can all of these be done online?
Look it up in the county EMS policy.

I work as an ER tech right now
How are you a ER tech if you're not a EMT? (just curious)

if I just keep my job as an ER tech, how am I supposed to do these checks?
Your supervisor should be able to give you some insight.

The whole recertification process seems like it's going to be more of a pain in the *** than the actual course.
Like COmedic says, you're already complaining about the process and yet you haven't completed EMT. Your complaining about 24 hours of CE's you have to get? I just recently renewed my NR and my state. NR I did 72, yes 72 hours of CE's and for state I was fortunate enough to be able to use the CE's I got from NR (24 hrs.). Unless you find a career Fire/ EMS job right of the get go, letting your NR lapse is a major mistake. The reason I renewed mine is because I don't plan on living in CA much longer. With my NR all I have to do is walk into a county EMS office and go through the application process.

OP
OP
K

Kaleb Griffin

Forum Crew Member
Very bad idea until you find your "career" dept/ company.

Look it up in the county EMS policy.

How are you a ER tech if you're not a EMT? (just curious)

Your supervisor should be able to give you some insight.

Like COmedic says, you're already complaining about the process and yet you haven't completed EMT. Your complaining about 24 hours of CE's you have to get? I just recently renewed my NR and my state. NR I did 72, yes 72 hours of CE's and for state I was fortunate enough to be able to use the CE's I got from NR (24 hrs.). Unless you find a career Fire/ EMS job right of the get go, letting your NR lapse is a major mistake. The reason I renewed mine is because I don't plan on living in CA much longer. With my NR all I have to do is walk into a county EMS office and go through the application process.
I am a senior nursing student with multiple clinical rotations and work as an ER tech at a level 1 trauma center.

OP
OP
K

Kaleb Griffin

Forum Crew Member
First off, it's a very poor idea to let your national registry lapse. Your closing a lot of doors. Even if your state does not require it, a lot of employers do.

You get continuing education classes through courses and refreshers. You can't count your current job as continuing education. Fire departments, EMS companies, and hospitals often host classes that you can attend to get hours logged.

Additionally, nothing you do now counts as you don't even have your EMT. But judging by the fact your saying your going to let your national registry lapse, are already trying to weasel your way out of mandatory continuing education, and already complaining about the process- you sound extremely lazy and I doubt you will even pass an EMT course with your attitude.
Don't call someone who has been through 4 years of nursing school lazy and say I won't pass this basic course. And yes, I am trying to limit the amount of CE hours that i have to do because I will have to do plenty when I become an RN also, and I don't want to spend ALL of my free time doing CE.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
My wife is able to use her nursing CE to maintain her EMT cert. Ohio may be different, but she doesn't have to do anything extra.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Don't call someone who has been through 4 years of nursing school lazy and say I won't pass this basic course. And yes, I am trying to limit the amount of CE hours that i have to do because I will have to do plenty when I become an RN also, and I don't want to spend ALL of my free time doing CE.

Not to hate or anything, but why are you in EMT school if you have 4 years of nursing? Kinda taking a step backwards don't you think?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
My guess would be flight or to volunteer.

OP
OP
K

Kaleb Griffin

Forum Crew Member
Not to hate or anything, but why are you in EMT school if you have 4 years of nursing? Kinda taking a step backwards don't you think?
It is almost always required to have your EMT-B or EMT-P along with your RN to become a flight nurse. which is my ultimate goal.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
Sorry, but when your complaining about continuing education, you seem lazy.

you said you are an emergency TECH. You also said you have been through 4 years of nursing school. If your an RN why are you a tech?

I can't tell if your trolling or are serious.

OP
OP
K

Kaleb Griffin

Forum Crew Member

you said you are an emergency TECH. You also said you have been through 4 years of nursing school. If your an RN why are you a tech?

I graduate next year with my BSN. Tech job is just temporary until I graduate.

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief

I don't understand why everyone on the forum seems spun up, and ignorant, towards other provider's who are just looking for some answers to questions lately. Maybe he has completed nursing school and is awaiting to take his NCLEX.... Maybe he has his RN however can't find a job and is still working as a tech. Different states have different regulations with these things. If he never plans to leave OH and wants to let his National drop who cares....? We aren't writing a biography on the guy, just here to talk about cases, learn, and provide info where we can. The nurse's in my program also need their EMT to get their PHRN (Pre-Hospital RN) to fly, but have no interest in National Registry.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kaleb Griffin

Forum Crew Member
I don't understand why everyone on the forum seems spun up, and ignorant, towards other provider's who are just looking for some answers to questions lately. Maybe he has completed nursing school and is awaiting to take his NCLEX.... Maybe he has his RN however can't find a job and is still working as a tech. Different states have different regulations with these things. If he never plans to leave OH and wants to let his National drop who cares....? We aren't writing a biography on the guy, just here to talk about cases, learn, and provide info where we can. The nurses in my program also need their EMT to get their PHRN (Pre-Hospital RN) to fly, but have no interest in National Registry.
Amen! Thank you for understanding.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
I graduate next year with my BSN. Tech job is just temporary until I graduate.

Then I apologize. I assumed when you said you had 4 years of nursing school that you had your BSN already.
Then when you said you were a senior nursing student I assumed you completed the program but we're doing rotations. Then when you said you were in your third year of nursing, I understand your not yet finished with the program.

It was just a bit confusing.

And I'm not being snappy. I'm very straight forward and to the point. Which is why I asked why you are a tech if you completed a 4 year nursing program.

Also, perhaps you didn't intend to, but complaining about having to do do work comes across as lazy. If you want to get EMS certifications to become a flight nurse- your going to have to do continuing education. Everyone in EMS does. It's just kind of how it goes. It's not pleasant, but it's reality.

In your case I wouldn't even bother obtaining your EMT-B. After you complete your BSN I would take a BSN to Paramedic bridge course. It will take less time, save you money, and you can skip the EMT portion saving you time. There's several schools that offer courses for BSN's to obtain a paramedic certification with a fast paced program. There's a really good program in Chicago I believe and part of it can be completed online if I'm not mistaken.

OP
OP
K

Kaleb Griffin

Forum Crew Member
Then I apologize. I assumed when you said you had 4 years of nursing school that you had your BSN already.
Then when you said you were a senior nursing student I assumed you completed the program but we're doing rotations. Then when you said you were in your third year of nursing, I understand your not yet finished with the program.

It was just a bit confusing.

And I'm not being snappy. I'm very straight forward and to the point. Which is why I asked why you are a tech if you completed a 4 year nursing program.

Also, perhaps you didn't intend to, but complaining about having to do do work comes across as lazy. If you want to get EMS certifications to become a flight nurse- your going to have to do continuing education. Everyone in EMS does. It's just kind of how it goes. It's not pleasant, but it's reality.

In your case I wouldn't even bother obtaining your EMT-B. After you complete your BSN I would take a BSN to Paramedic bridge course. It will take less time, save you money, and you can skip the EMT portion saving you time. There's several schools that offer courses for BSN's to obtain a paramedic certification with a fast paced program. There's a really good program in Chicago I believe and part of it can be completed online if I'm not mistaken.
I appreciate this response. I think really when I think about my post, I am just having difficulty figuring out where CE hours and skills verification can be completed, to put it simply. If I volunteer for a station, do they possibly offer CE and skills verification?

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
I appreciate this response. I think really when I think about my post, I am just having difficulty figuring out where CE hours and skills verification can be completed, to put it simply. If I volunteer for a station, do they possibly offer CE and skills verification?
Most volunteer departments offer opportunities for CE hours. Also bound tree offers online CEs. However, you typically can't get "all" of your CEs online. Call your local hospital. Most hospitals host learning seminars that count towards your CEs and they are often very informative and interesting and cover some different topics that are not typically discussed ( like malignant hyperthermia and things of that sort).

Skills verification I'm not so sure of. Mine get signed off yearly because I work as a full time paramedic so I'm constantly using my "skills".

Every couple years you will have to take a refresher course if you want to keep your national registry ( which I highly recommend. Although your state may not require you keep it up to date, I have never applied for a job that didn't require a valid national registry cert) which is basically a condensed overview of paramedic/EMT school (whichever cert you have) and they will go over skills in those refresher courses.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I see no reason not to streamline CE hours. Nothing lazy about that.

It also costs a whole seventy dollars to get your NR back (and taking the test) so long as you remain state certified. I let mine lapse when I was in New Zealand for six months because I knew it would have no effect on my job for several years. Then when I needed it again, I took the test. Well actually not as Massachusetts just randomly gave it to me when they transitioned to being an NR state, but that's not the point.