Computer Issue

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I have a brand new laptop I won back in January. When I got it, I loaded everything on it and I also password protected it.

I have never used it aside form this first time of loading.

I am now wishing to use it only I can not remember the password.

Is there a way around this???

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Check otu my post on the other forum... looking for the program now

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
Okay, so what OS are you using, and how far can you get?
If it's a Windows machine, and you can see the login screen, we can probably get a little creative. If it's a boot password, you might be in trouble.

OP
OP
akflightmedic

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
All is well....thanks

Sasha

Forum Chief
I have a brand new laptop I won back in January. When I got it, I loaded everything on it and I also password protected it.

I have never used it aside form this first time of loading.

I am now wishing to use it only I can not remember the password.

Is there a way around this???

That is why I use one of two passwords for everything.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
That is why I use one of two passwords for everything.

Sucks though when you're touch typing on a keyboard that you don't realize is laid out just a little differently when you're typing in the password for the first time... That took forever to straighten out :p

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Wjagt's tOuch typiNGS?

:blush: ........

Sasha

Forum Chief
Sucks though when you're touch typing on a keyboard that you don't realize is laid out just a little differently when you're typing in the password for the first time... That took forever to straighten out :p

I hate touch screens to. they make me cry!

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Buy a new hard-drive and start over.

You have just had a dry run at what a theft, or having a virus or battery meltdown wipe out your hard drive, is like.
Go buy another drive with USB cable (MadDog used to make some nice-enough ones) and back up your really necessary stuff daily, then disconnect it from your actual main computer. Have your programs on media, not 'preloaded", so you can reconsitute your computer prn. AND find a good computer gal/guy to help you when needed.

imurphy

Forum Captain
You have just had a dry run at what a theft, or having a virus or battery meltdown wipe out your hard drive, is like.
Go buy another drive with USB cable (MadDog used to make some nice-enough ones) and back up your really necessary stuff daily, then disconnect it from your actual main computer. Have your programs on media, not 'preloaded", so you can reconsitute your computer prn. AND find a good computer gal/guy to help you when needed.

Windows 7 has a great backup function. It runs every night for me at 0300 and backs up my documents etc to the server! Great idea. It can also back up to re-writable DVD too, but my stuff is 13GB!

Norton 360 also has a backup feature!