Common reasons people quit

ironguy321

Forum Probie
Is it common for people to quit on the spot? I'll admit, I was one, but it was a bad place to be. I was wondering if this was rare or if it was common for people to quit and what they're reasons might've been.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Not common out here... Only seen one person do it, right after his first code.

oldschoolmedic

Forum Lieutenant
Had a guy quit on us after his first shift. He didn't show up for his second twelve the next night, so the supervisor called him to ask if he was sick. He said," 'm not coming in." The supe asked him if he was sick then he would put him in for sick leave. He told the supe ,"You don't understand... I'm not ever coming back to that zoo."

He came in the following Monday and dropped all of his issued equpment on the hallway floor outside the Ops Officers door.

The rest of the shift never learned his name. the only ones who knew it were his trainer, and the shift supe.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
most of the times i have seen people just quit on the spot, it has been an event that was building for a while and just came to a head. usually it comes down to pay, working conditions, interpersonal reasons etc. you know, the normal everyday bs we deal with.

i remember one time a guy quit right in the middle of a shift. we worked a bad call and needed some piece of equipment, i cant remember what it was but we had been trying to get it ordered for ever and they just ignored up. well that day we needed it(it was some piece of als gear we didnt use often. this was early in my career so i didnt know what it was hence why i dont remember it). we got through the call, got to the H and transferred the pt. he said "f it. im sick of this poop". he called the dispatch supervisor, said i quit and hung up. we drove back to quarters, he packed up his toys and went to another sandbox.

a lot of that sort of thing happens in the for profit private sector, at least up here. things just build and build and build until all it takes is someone forgetting to sweep out the well in the side doors to be enough to walk.

Noctis Lucis Caelum

Forum Lieutenant
Had a guy quit on us after his first shift. He didn't show up for his second twelve the next night, so the supervisor called him to ask if he was sick. He said," 'm not coming in." The supe asked him if he was sick then he would put him in for sick leave. He told the supe ,"You don't understand... I'm not ever coming back to that zoo."

He came in the following Monday and dropped all of his issued equpment on the hallway floor outside the Ops Officers door.

The rest of the shift never learned his name. the only ones who knew it were his trainer, and the shift supe.

WOW....just wow
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Anomalous

Forum Lieutenant
We have only had one. He found out we could look at everything he looked at on the internet. :rolleyes:

Paladin

Forum Crew Member
I didn't see it personally but I did hear from multiple sources that one of the people on my squad quit after an interaction with a medic I work with at the Hospital job I have. Now as I understand it, they were working a code and the medic wanted something done which she did incorrectly and he gave her I guess a "stern talking too". She had supposedly been just out of EMT school and it was like her first call. Now I know from personal exp. that this medic is very intelligent but also very high speed low drag. Well long story short he questioned her about what she knew to the point of crying and quiting.

As far as job wise, no I havent seen anyone quit that way.

rmellish

Forum Captain
People quit the private service I run with all the time. Probably mostly the living conditions and equipment quality or lack thereof. The low pay and lack of benefits doesn't help much either.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I've never had anyone quit during a call. I've seen a lot quit after a bad call. No shame in finding out that its not for you. Some of us are just better suited to it than others.

stephenrb81

Forum Lieutenant
The ones I have seen quit on the spot are usually part-timers and PRN's that have a full time spot else where and got fed up with being everyones witch (for lack of a better word).

There was one instance where I don't blame the guy. Seen a part time guy clock out on the spot because a full-time girl didn't want to take a transfer. He was a "fifth" which meant he wasn't assigned to a truck, he was there mainly to assist the ER to take the stress off those assigned to an ambulance. The girl decided she wasn't going to take a transfer 30 mins before the end of her shift and whined until they swapped her out for the part-time guy. He made his argument that it wasn't fair in his eyes but the supervisor wasn't seeing it so the guy made a few choice and hilarious remarks, clocked out and went home

mbcwgrl

Forum Probie
I've only seen it once... There was a medic that was involved in a fatal crash responding to a call. He returned to work a couple weeks following that horrible incident and it was ruled that the crash was not his fault. Doesn't help the guilt of knowing that you are there to help not hurt... We all felt for him, as he was a very long time meidic of our agency. (and a damn good medic)
About a week after returning to work him and his partner (his partner was driving this time) were responding to a call and slipped on some black ice and rolled the ambulance down an embankment.
When they got back to the station, he tore off his uniform threw it on the ground... Said a few harsh words and walked out... I later heard he is working for a much small and less busy ambulance company... In fact he no longer responds emergent to calls... He actually just does stand by's... It was a very sad sad story... I think about him all the time and wish him the best of luck!

John E

Forum Captain
Interesting stories...

had a partner that wanted to quit in the middle of a shift, we actually drove back to the office so he could do so but he had a long discussion with the dispatcher and changed his mind.

I quit the same private company a week later when they lied to me repeatedly about how much and when they were going to pay me. Horrible, horrible place to be.

John E.

tydek07

Forum Captain
It is not very common here, but I am sure things are different at other places around the country/world.

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
It is not very common here, but I am sure things are different at other places around the country/world.

doing what your service told and them having them change their mind <_<

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Had a coworker quit in the middle of the transport because his wife, a dispatcher there; was fired. he stopped pt care, and just sat in the airway chair on the phone with his wife.
I felt then and still feel now that he should have lost his cert over it. No harm came to the patient, but he still had about 20 min of transport time left, stopped taking v.s; just stopped all patient interaction, with an alert patient.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Had a coworker quit in the middle of the transport because his wife, a dispatcher there; was fired. he stopped pt care, and just sat in the airway chair on the phone with his wife.
I felt then and still feel now that he should have lost his cert over it. No harm came to the patient, but he still had about 20 min of transport time left, stopped taking v.s; just stopped all patient interaction, with an alert patient.
We have had someone I know personally lose his cert for something similar here. Your guy should have too IMO

stephenrb81

Forum Lieutenant

That is a bit extreme. I believe everyone has a limit and is capable of quitting "on the spot", some people's limits are higher than other (factor in integrity and professionalism). But ceasing patient care over an instant like that speaks chapters about his professionalism

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
If you have never thought of quitting, you haven't been doing it long enough.