Combat medic thinking of going civilian in Phoenix AZ

10th MTN Medic

Forum Ride Along
was thinking of getting out after this 4 day weekend pass which was spent in Phoenix AZ with my long time g/f I was curious to know how the job situation is in the Phoenix area. At the time my contract is up I'll have 4yrs exp in a light IN BN and one 12 month deployment to OEF, current NREMT-B, ACLS, BLS, certs... Was wondering how the job market was and what is a decent pay rate for the area.

Thank you,

-sean

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
was thinking of getting out after this 4 day weekend pass which was spent in Phoenix AZ with my long time g/f I was curious to know how the job situation is in the Phoenix area. At the time my contract is up I'll have 4yrs exp in a light IN BN and one 12 month deployment to OEF, current NREMT-B, ACLS, BLS, certs... Was wondering how the job market was and what is a decent pay rate for the area.

Thank you,

-sean

Southwest Ambulance and PMT Ambulance, pay? got me there, I would assume $9

MedicBender

Forum Captain
I talked with Southwest Ambulance last summer and they were offering around 13/hour for paramedic, so $9/hr for EMT is probably correct

seanm028

Forum Lieutenant
I got an offer from PMT this week as a -B, $9.60/hr, 48hrs/week with the option to pick up an additional 12. ER techs can make a little more, but that's a real tough market to get in on. A buddy of mine who works for PMT told me their medics make between $11 and $12/hr, I haven't verified that though.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I got an offer from PMT this week as a -B, $9.60/hr, 48hrs/week with the option to pick up an additional 12..
medics make between $11 and $12/hr, I haven't verified that though.

an extra $1.40-$2.40 an hour to be a medic over a basic?

That cannot be right.

Or at least I hope it is not right. It would be a truly sad day in EMS.

I'd just let the people of that community find their own way to the hospital. It might as well be volunteer.

It would probably be more lucrative to teach CPR full time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kale

Forum Probie
SW starts its EMT-B's at 11.06 an hour. I think medics make 14-15 but I'm honestly not sure as I am not a medic (this rate could also be somewhat contingent on experience).

PMT pays less across the board, I think EEs start at around 9 bucks there. That may change now that Rural/Metro owns them, but who knows.

The job market is tough here as it is everywhere but at least SW has recently been putting through a fair number of new employee classes. Medics have a much easier time getting hired, especially experienced medics. If you're a combat medic, I wouldn't sweat it too much. I'd drop applications on both companies and make a phone call or two, but honestly I don't thin you'll have any problem getting hired. We're currently barely able to cover our call volume sufficiently and as with any company we lose a fair number to burn out, fire departments, nursing programs, etc. etc.... they definitely always need people.

Last edited by a moderator: