Colorado or Bust

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
I'm not sure that you'll be able to take the IV or EKG classes out of state, as far as I know it's just a Colorado thing. Your best bet on that would be to contact the state office and see if there's any out-of-state courses they recognize.

You might be able to get a job without it and then take it while you're here, especially if you get hired someplace that starts EMTs on the wheelchair van.

I got a job out here without having a Colorado Driver's License, but I did have to get one ASAP after getting the job.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Tigger,

Thank you very much for the useful, well-thought replies to my questions. It's sincerely appreciated. I extend that thanks to the rest of the posters, too.

My guess is that I could get theses EKG and IV certifications in my home state and that they would transfer to Colorado, right? Or are these certifications that I should get in Colorado. Also, the driver's license: I would really need a Colorado driver's license? It seems like an unnecessary step given that if I can't find a job in Colorado why would I need to get a license there? Know what I mean?

Cheers,
M.

Many companies (especially privates for whatever reason) require it. Not to mention that if you establish residency you legally need to get one. It may also take longer than 90 days to get an EMS job. After 90 days you are considered a state resident. So there's that.

Also the IV class follows a set curriculum set forth by the state. Not many states offer IV classes for an EMT period, and if they do I'm not sure they'd take out here anyway.

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
Thanks so much, Ensihoitaja, I'll make sure to do what you recommended and will let you know how it pans out.

M.

One other option that I just thought of... Denver Health hires VSTs that check equipment in/out, detail ambulances, stock drug boxes, that sort of thing. It's usually a path to an EMT job with the Paramedic Division. I don't know of any VSTs that wanted to promote and didn't. You'd also have access to the IV and EKG classes at Denver Health.

Here's a link to the VST job posting.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Colorado Springs AMR does the same.